Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 11:43:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists Confirm Historic Massive Flood in Climate Change
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20060228/

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Jack Kirby, the "King" of Comics

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack Kirby, the "King" of Comics  (Read 805 times)
Psycho
Superhero Member

« on: June 30, 2007, 01:31:28 am »

Biography

Early life

Born Jacob Kurtzberg to Jewish Austrian parents in New York City, he grew up on Suffolk Street in New York's Lower East Side Delancey Street area, attending elementary school at P.S. 20. His father, Benjamin, a garment-factory worker, was a Conservative Jew, and Jacob attended Hebrew school. Jacob's one sibling, a brother five years younger, predeceased him. After a rough-and-tumble childhood with much fighting among the kind of kid gangs he would render more heroically in his future comics (Fantastic Four's Jewish Ben Grimm was raised on rough-and-tumble "Yancy Street", and was predeceased by his older brother; in addition to sharing Kirby's father's first name, his middle name is Jacob, Kirby's first name at birth). Likewise Nick Fury's backstory is faithfully modelled after Kirby's own childhood. Kirby enrolled at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, at what he said was age 14, leaving after a week. "I wasn't the kind of student that Pratt was looking for. They wanted people who would work on something forever. I didn't want to work on any project forever. I intended to get things done".[1]

Essentially self-taught, Kirby cited among his influences the comic strip artists Alex Raymond and Milton Caniff.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: