Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 08:27:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Romney's Cruel Canine Vacation

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Romney's Cruel Canine Vacation  (Read 418 times)
Penny
Superhero Member

« on: June 29, 2007, 07:41:27 pm »

Romney's Cruel Canine Vacation
Wednesday, Jun. 27, 2007 By ANA MARIE COX  Chevy Chase in National Lampoon's Vacation; Mitt Romney
Warner Bros.; Jamie Rector / Getty

The reporter intended the anecdote that opened part four of the Boston Globe's profile of Mitt Romney to illustrate, as the story said, "emotion-free crisis management": Father deals with minor — but gross — incident during a 1983 family vacation, and saves the day. But the details of the event are more than unseemly — they may, in fact, be illegal.

The incident: dog excrement found on the roof and windows of the Romney station wagon. How it got there: Romney strapped a dog carrier — with the family dog Seamus, an Irish Setter, in it — to the roof of the family station wagon for a twelve hour drive from Boston to Ontario, which the family apparently completed, despite Seamus's rather visceral protest.

Massachusetts's animal cruelty laws specifically prohibit anyone from carrying an animal "in or upon a vehicle, or otherwise, in an unnecessarily cruel or inhuman manner or in a way and manner which might endanger the animal carried thereon." An officer for the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals responded to a description of the situation saying "it's definitely something I'd want to check out." The officer, Nadia Branca, declined to give a definitive opinion on whether Romney broke the law but did note that it's against state law to have a dog in an open bed of a pick-up truck, and "if the dog was being carried in a way that endangers it, that would be illegal." And while it appears that the statute of limitations has probably passed, Stacey Wolf, attorney and legislative director for the ASPCA, said "even if it turns out to not be against the law at the time, in the district, we'd hope that people would use common sense...Any manner of transporting a dog that places the animal in serious danger is something that we'd think is inappropriate...I can't speak to the accuracy of the case, but it raises concerns about the judgment used in this particular situation."

Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, was less circumspect. PETA does not have a position on Romney's candidacy per se, but Newkirk called the incident "a lesson in cruelty that was ... wrong for [his children] to witness...Thinking of the wind, the weather, the speed, the vulnerability, the isolation on the roof, it is commonsense that any dog who's under extreme stress might show that stress by losing control of his bowels: that alone should have been sufficient indication that the dog was, basically, being tortured." Romney, of course, has expressed support for the use of "enhanced interrogation" techniques when it comes to terrorists; his campaign refused to comment about the treatment of his dog.

As organizer of the Salt Lake City Olympic Games, Romney came under fire from some animal welfare groups for including a rodeo exhibition as part of the Games' festivities. At the time, he told protesters, "We are working hard to make this as safe a rodeo for cowboys and animals as is humanly possible."

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1638065,00.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Penny
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:59:48 pm »

Political Writer Lanny Davis: Romney Abused Dog, "Shouldn't be President"

Political writer Lanny Davis wrote on The Hill today that its his opinion that “if [the dog-on-roof] story gets out and stays out, there will be tens of millions of Google hits by next October. And I am also thinking that Romney is going to lose a lot of dog-lover votes on this issue alone, regardless of party or ideology."

Davis also said, "I think anyone who puts his dog in a cage on top of a car for a 12-hour drive and then deludes himself or tries to delude others that the dog really enjoyed it — to me, with all due respect, I feel such a man shouldn’t be president of the United States.”

To you, Lanny, we say WOOF!

Rusty
Report Spam   Logged
Penny
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:00:37 am »

Mitt Romney's "Crate-Gate"

By now, hundreds of thousands of people have heard the troubling - and evolving - story about how Mitt Romney transported his dog on the roof of their station wagon - and how, on at least one 12-hour trip, the poor dog showed its fear and displeasure. Soon, millions of Americans and people the world over will hear about it - and it will be forever known as "crate-gate."

Woof!

Rusty
Posted by Rusty at 6:20 AM 1 comments
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to Facebook
Links to this post
Labels: crate-gate
Report Spam   Logged
Penny
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:01:27 am »

Did Mitt Romney Drive Through a Car Wash with His Dog on the Roof?

The Boston Globe published an article this morning written by Neal Swidey, the reporter who first uncovered the Mitt Romney dog abuse story in 2007. In today's article, Swidey reminisces about the story and why it just won't seem to go away. You can read it here.

But I noticed something troubling in the article. The original story claimed that Mitt Romney strapped his dog to the roof of the car in a crate and drove the family 12-hours to Canada. Along the way, the poor, scared dog (Seamus) had a bad case of diarrhea (some say in fear) that ran down the side of the car. Romney stopped the car at a gas station, the story went, and hosed down the poor beast and car before getting back on the road.

But is that what REALLY happened?

In today's article, Swidey reveals that in the first version of the story he'd heard from a Romney "family friend," Mitt Romney did not hose down the dog but instead "drove the station wagon right through a car wash" with poor Seamus strapped atop!

Knowing he had a remarkable story in his hands, Swidey says, he worked diligently to ensure he had every detail correct. He spoke to Tagg Romney, one of the Romney children who was in the car at the time. "Far from being tone-deaf, Tagg realized as I dug deeper that the story could cause his father grief," Swidey wrote.

And the story changed.

So, Mr. Romney, what is the REAL story?

Rusty
Report Spam   Logged
Penny
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:02:06 am »

R.I.P Seamus Romney
Report Spam   Logged
Penny
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:02:54 am »

Hi. I'm Rusty.
Hi. I'm Rusty.
Mitt Romney is mean to dogs. Help me get my message out.

http://www.dogsagainstromney.com/
Report Spam   Logged
Penny
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:03:48 am »

TIME Magazine: Romney's Cruel Canine Vacation
Here is a TIME Magazine article about Mitt Romney's cruelty to his poor dog, Seamus. *whine*

Go here.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1638065,00.html
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: