Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 02:44:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Atlantis: The Land Beyond The Pillars

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlantis: The Land Beyond The Pillars  (Read 2060 times)
Doug Fisher

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 01:28:08 am »

Isn't that plain supposed to be underwater?  If the capital which was built on the mountain not very high, sunk, then the plain, which was lower (since the mountain not very high stuck up in the middle of it) would also be under water. And how do you figure that this fits with the statment, that the way was blocked by mud for voyagers?

Hello Qoais,

It seems more realistic to interpret the account as placing the capital just beyond the plain instead of its center. According to Plato it was "near the plain again, and also in the centre of the island at a distance of about fifty stadia (5.7 miles from the plain which conforms to the circular landform in the Parana Delta). Plato also records that the plain's surrounding waterways "received the streams which came down from the mountains and after circling round the plain, and coming towards the city on this side and on that, it discharged them thereabouts into the sea." This also conforms to both the Parana and Uruguay Rivers which ultimately empty into the sea near the circular landform.

As for being underwater, there's quite a bit more detail on my site about the actual demise befalling Atlantis, but suffice it to say that Solon's world view would not allow another continent to exist within Oceanus. Therefore, when the Egyptian account described an island sinking into the sea Solon would have been forced to apply this to the whole of the island continent.

However, the location of an island in a delta would accommodate the destruction described. The soil in a delta would be extremely susceptible to liquefaction during a quake, possibly explaining why the Athenian warriors are described as having "sank into the earth" as opposed to having sunk into the sea. Prolonged liquefaction and possibly tsunamis would have seen the island and most of the delta eventually subside beneath the sea.

Regarding the mud that blocked passage, "The island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea. For which reason the sea in those parts is impassable and impenetrable, there is a shoal of mud in the way" If we allow that it was Atlantis' city isle which sank then it makes perfect sense "Atlantis' island city in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea. For which reason the sea in those parts is impassable and impenetrable, there is a shoal of mud in the way".

And how do the Egyptians supposedly know about this place?  Is it written in their history somewhere that they traded with folks from that far away and where is the proof of ships travelling that distance?  On a regular basis too because Plato said their harbours were filled with triremes, and that goods were brought to her from other countries.  What other countries?

I attempted to address this earlier. According to Solon, Atlantis peopled many of the islands in the Atlantic and the Mediterranean and these likely acted as agents in behalf of Atlantis and peoples within the Mediterranean. How did the Egyptians know that it was possible to sail around Africa and be below the equator? How did Solomon import much of his gold and other goods? Both employed Phoenician's to man fleets and the voyages they undertook lasted three years. The Egyptian trip around Africa would have been roughly 15,000 miles. A round trip from Egypt in the Mediterranean to the Mesopotamian Plain of South America and back is also about 15,000 miles so the Phoenicians were obviously capable of making the trip.

Keep in mind that I definitely do not believe Atlantis was still around at the time of King Solomon, but neither do I believe it met its demise over 11,000 years ago and I believe Plato's account actually contains clues which point to a much later period... but that's another chapter, which I will be submitting to my website at a later date.

-Doug
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: