Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 10:01:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Atlantis: The Land Beyond The Pillars

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlantis: The Land Beyond The Pillars  (Read 2093 times)
Doug Fisher

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 12:39:40 am »

Qoais,

The fact is that South America with its Mesopotamian Plain is by far the closest match to Plato’s geographical specifications and is perhaps too similar to be coincidence. And what I am actually saying is IF South America does somehow prove to be Atlantis, then we will have to allow that other aspects of the Atlantis account may be historical fact as well regardless if the Egyptians maintained the story on nonextant papyrus scrolls, with Plato being one of the last to have a written copy.

Reconciling the account with South America as Atlantis, as with any other site, requires a great deal of speculation and will be at odds with the accepted view of history. As I said before, I do not think the war occurred as far back as reported and based on the account of the Trojan war the Greeks were competent sailors around the 13th century BC; sailing ships holding 50 to 120 crew members. Discovery of Troy in the 19th century helped buoy this belief. Discovering Atlantis in South America may support a bit earlier date allowing that identifiable Greek artifacts are unearthed. Besides if at that point we are forced to accept the improbable idea that a people outside of the Mediterranean had a fleet of oceangoing ships navigating the Mediterranean and much of the Atlantic, it's not much of stretch to accept some similar capabilities for Greece in the same time period.

-Doug
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: