Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:46:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Were seafarers living here 16,000 years ago?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34805893-6a53-46f5-a864-a96d53991051&k=39922

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

SPEAKER PELOSI: THE CIA LIED TO ME

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPEAKER PELOSI: THE CIA LIED TO ME  (Read 487 times)
Joanna
Superhero Member

« on: May 14, 2009, 11:11:22 am »

SPEAKER PELOSI:
THE CIA LIED TO ME

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joanna
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:12:30 am »

WASHINGTON — Under strong attack from Republicans, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi accused the CIA and Bush administration of misleading her about waterboarding detainees in the war on terror and sharply rebutted claims she was complicit in its use.

"To the contrary ... we were told explicitly that waterboarding was not being used," she told reporters, referring to a formal CIA briefing she received in the fall of 2002.

Pelosi said she subsequently learned that other lawmakers were told several months later by the CIA about the use of waterboarding.

"I wasn't briefed, I was informed that somebody else had been briefed about it," she said.

The House's top Democrat made her comments at a news conference where she was peppered with questions about her knowledge of a technique she and others have called torture. Republicans have insisted in recent weeks that she and other Democrats knew waterboarding was in use, but made no attempt to protest.

Pelosi renewed her call for a so-called truth commission to investigate the events in the Bush administration that led to the use of waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques. While President Barack Obama has banned waterboarding, calling it torture, he has been notably cool toward an independent inquiry that might distract attention from his domestic agenda.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., also has expressed opposition, as have congressional Republicans.

Pelosi was particularly harsh in describing the CIA.

"They mislead us all the time," she said. And when a reporter asked whether the agency lied, she did not disagree.

She also suggested that the current Republican criticism marked an attempt to divert attention from the Bush administration's actions.

"They misrepresented every step of the way, and they don't want that focus on them, so they try to turn the focus on us," she said.

Pelosi contended that Democrats did what they could to stop the use of waterboarding. The senior Democrat on the Intelligence Committee, who received the 2003 briefing on the practice, sent the CIA a formal letter of protest, she said.

But Pelosi defended her own lack of action on the issue, saying her focus at the time was on wresting congressional control from Republicans so her party could change course.

"No letter could change the policy. It was clear we had to change the leadership in Congress and in the White House. That was my job _ the Congress part," Pelosi said.
Report Spam   Logged
Joanna
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 11:13:11 am »

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of Calif. leaves the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, Wednesday, May 13, 2009, after meeting with President Barack Obama to discuss healthcare. (AP Photo/Ron Edmonds)
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 11:36:39 am »

Pelosi's Quagmire

Weekly Standard
May 13, 2009

Republicans in the House are keeping up the pressure on Pelosi by pushing for answers about what she knew and when she knew it, emailing this report from Rick Klein (whose made it his job to jam up Pelosi on her continued backpedaling):

Pelosi told reporters today that she won’t answer questions on the matter until her weekly press conference tomorrow -- keeping the story alive for a full week after ABC News first reported on the intelligence report....

As we wait for answers, Pelosi has found relatively few allies among her fellow Democrats. Pressed by reporters yesterday, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., allowed that “what was said and when it was said, who said it” should be part of a congressional inquiry -- though his aides later explained that he was not referring specifically to Pelosi.

Some Democrats may even be making things more difficult for the speaker. Senate Intelligence Chairman Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., told AFP: “I don't want to make an apology for anybody, but in 2002, it wasn't 2006, 07, 08 or 09. It was right after 9/11, and there were in fact discussions about a second wave of attacks.”

Republicans are accusing Pelosi of hypocrisy and intellectually honest Democrats are accusing her of complicity, but Klein calls the Speaker out for the unforgivable political mistake of not killing this story in a timely fashion. She's let this thing spin out of control and it's going to get worse before it gets better. Tomorrow's pres conference will get pick up on the cables and written up in Friday's papers, and the overall subject of detainee policy, including Obama's reversal on the pictures, will dominate the Sunday shows for another week.

Pelosi's waffling will remain center stage.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:53:59 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:44:42 am »

Pelosi says Bush team misled her, Congress on waterboarding; she learned of it in 2003

By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS ,
Associated Press
Last update:
May 14, 2009 -
11:24 AM

WASHINGTON - Under strong attack from Republicans, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi accused the CIA
and Bush administration of misleading her about waterboarding detainees in the war on terror and sharply rebutted claims she was complicit in its use.

"To the contrary ... we were told explicitly that waterboarding was not being used," she told reporters, referring to a formal CIA briefing she received in the fall of 2002.

Pelosi said she subsequently learned that other lawmakers were told several months later by the CIA about the use of waterboarding.

"I wasn't briefed, I was informed that somebody else had been briefed about it," she said.

The House's top Democrat made her comments at a news conference where she was peppered with questions about her knowledge of a technique she and others have called torture. Republicans have insisted in recent weeks that Pelosi and other Democrats knew waterboarding was in use, but made
no attempt to protest.

In a written response issued moments after Pelosi spoke, an official at the CIA neither disputed nor accepted the California Democrat's statements.

Instead, George Little, head of the CIA office of public affairs, said it would be up to Congress to determine whether notes made by agency personnel at the time they briefed lawmakers were
accurate. He said the notes could be made available at the CIA "for staff review."

Pelosi renewed her call for a so-called truth commission to investigate the events in the Bush administration that led to the use of waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques.
While President Barack Obama has banned waterboarding, calling it torture, he has been notably
cool toward an independent inquiry that might distract attention from his domestic agenda.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., also has expressed opposition, as have congressional Republicans.

Pelosi was particularly harsh in describing the CIA.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:49:58 am »

PE-LOUSY's MAIN CONCERN :

"......Pelosi defended her own lack of action on the issue,

saying her focus at the time was on wresting congressional control from Republicans

so her party could change course."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:52:38 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:19:51 pm »

I'm not surprised.  The Bush team lied to EVERYBODY!
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 01:25:11 pm »

Pelosi, the CIA, and the Dems’ dangerous blame game

By Michelle Malkin  • 
May 14, 2009

We had dueling press conferences this morning with Nancy Pelosi accusing the Bush CIA of lying to
her about waterboarding and House GOP leader John Boehner defending the integrity of the briefers.

Pelosi had a particularly frozen look on her face throughout her presser as she repeated the “Bush
lied about Iraq” mantra to justify her own inaction:

“They mislead us all the time,”

she said. And when a reporter asked whether the agency lied, she did not disagree.

She also suggested that the current Republican criticism marked an attempt to divert attention from
the Bush administration’s actions.

“They misrepresented every step of the way, and they don’t want that focus on them, so they try
to turn the focus on us,” she said.

If Pelosi were so incensed about how the CIA misled her, why wasn’t this her response to news of
the 2002 briefing a week ago?

Blink, blink.

Pelosi issued a renewed call for a “truth commission.”

Boehner’s response:

“Let’s put it all on the table.”

Other Dems (including Harry Reid, who opposes the “truth commission” as, um, a distraction) aren’t happy about where this dangerous blame game might take them.

William Jacobson analyzes the Dems’ lack of a waterboarding exit strategy and concludes:

"Here’s my prediction of what will happen if Democrats push the investigation to the
bitter end causing damage to national security, a political death match with the CIA,
and Democrat-on-Democrat finger pointing:

Steny Hoyer, Speaker;

Jane Harman, Majority Leader;

Nancy Pelosi, Chair of the House sub-committee on fresh water fisheries;

Republicans, unexpected gains in 2010 mid-term elections.

The Democrats wished hard for an investigation into waterboarding and other interrogation methods. They may have wished too hard, because they are about to get what they wished for, with no way out."
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 01:26:27 pm »

KARMA IS A B***H, NANCY!!!

YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER SAID:

"IMPEACHMENT IS OFF THE TABLE"
Report Spam   Logged

Byron
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 03:06:00 pm »

I agree with you about the impeachment thing, Bianca, but come on!  I'm no Peliosi fan either, but anyone can see that this just a smokescreen to take people's attention off of the real criminals here - Bush and Cheney.

Who cares what she was told and when?  She didn't play any role in shaping the torture policy, and when you are part of national security briefings, you are also sworn to secrecy on them. It is  not like you can hold a press conference and say what is going on.

Plus, the Bush Administrations's whole modus operandi is to contaminate people.  They will tell you just what you need to get you mired in the mud with them, then do what they want to do anway.
Report Spam   Logged

Win One for the Lion

Healthcare is a Right, Not a Privilige
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 06:05:11 pm »

Can't trust the woman!

For TWO solid years she kissed Bushco's   @#$.....and went along with all their
policies......I got no time to dig up pictures, but she was repugnant in her
behaviour  with the 'shrub'.....fawning, phony Pe-lousey!!

Just because she's Italian, I am supposed to go like her?  I am not like some
people.....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:09:27 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 07:17:06 am »

The Speaker misspeaks

By Joseph Curl
POLITICAL THEATER
The Washington Times
| Friday, May 15, 2009

Speaker Nancy Pelosi, her eyes wide, her hands gesticulating wildly, on Thursday laid out a third
version of what she knew and when she knew it about the Bush administration's interrogation
policies, edging ever closer to debating what the meaning of the word "is" is.

With even her own second-in-command now demanding more answers, the California Democrat, her voice barely audible at times, read a rambling statement at her weekly press briefing about her prior knowledge of the "enhanced interrogation techniques" (EITs) employed under President Bush, insisting that she was not told in a September 2002 briefing that the U.S. government used waterboarding.

Minutes later, though, she acknowledged for the first time that her top security adviser had learned details of a February 2003 briefing in which lawmakers were told that American interrogators were in fact waterboarding suspected terrorists.

"My statement is clear, and let me read it again. Let me read it again I'm sorry I have to find the page," said a flustered Mrs. Pelosi, shuffling through papers, her hands quivering a bit, as she sought to stick to her prepared text.

"When when when my staff person I'm sorry, the page is out of order five months later, my staff person told me that there had been a briefing informing that there had been a briefing and that a letter had been sent. I was not briefed on what was in that briefing; I was just informed that the briefing had taken place," she said.

The speaker's weekly press conference drew a standing-room-only crowd of reporters tracking the steady drip, drip, drip of revelations that have come out over the past several weeks. Dressed in a key-lime green pantsuit and smiling broadly, Mr. Pelosi charged that the CIA lied to Congress and that House Republicans are using her as "a diversionary tactic" to deflect criticism from Mr. Bush.

Aside from not being briefed on what was in that briefing, she said she was very busy at the time "I was fighting the war in Iraq at that point, too, you know" and battling a Bush administration that was "misleading the American people about the threat of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq."

Repeatedly clearing her throat, she explained that she was briefed by the CIA in 2002, while on the House intelligence committee. Agency records indicate the Sept. 4 briefing included "a description of the particular EITs that had been employed" on al Qaeda detainee Abu Zubaydah, then the only suspected terrorist in U.S. custody. The previous month, he had been waterboarded a form of simulated drowning President Obama has declared is torture 82 times
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 07:19:45 am »

MADAM SPEAKER:

YOU'VE GOT A PROBLEM
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 10:10:42 am »

This is just a big distraction from the 3.6 T budget that congress is about to pass.

Sure Nancy might go down when this is done but that won’t help us at all when the US gov will have to raise taxes dramatically to keep up with the interest payments and at the same time gas will be at $4 a gallon again.

$4 a gallon gas will be a bargain when Obama’s cap and trade and energy policies are instituted.

Within 4 years, this country will be completely bankrupted.

You can’t borrow $.50 for every $1.00 you spend and impose confiscatory taxes on all businesses and produce a sustainable economy.

$4 a gallon gas will be a bargain when Obama’s cap and trade and energy policies are instituted.

In that scheme, the energy component of it is secondary.

This scheme could well be about anything really and turn out the same way, because it isn’t about the carbon.

It is about income redistribution.

The “sacred cow” status of carbon is just a cover for it.
Report Spam   Logged

Dara Meloy

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 11:16:00 am »

Jason Linkins jason@huffingtonpost.com
Media Shocked - Shocked! - That Pelosi Criticizes The CIA

There's much to consider where Nancy Pelosi and past intelligence briefings on interrogation, detention, and torture. Especially after today! Plenty of observers, myself included, have found her attempt to navigate her way through a timeline of events to be wanting where satisfaction or clarity is concerned. I'd further suggest that if her central contention is going to be that she was legally barred from disclosing the contents of those briefings, that should provoke a whole new set of convserations: if a law prohibits a person from disclosing wrongdoing -- and violations of the Geneva Convention certainly fall into that category -- then that law is an ass, as they say.

That said, the media has decided on what their big takeaway of the day is, and frankly, it has focused on the most quotidian aspect of this controversy: that Nancy Pelosi is suggesting that the CIA has misled her. Dog bites man!

I've already watched a bunch of occasions in which our beloved dayside news anchors have stared, aghast, into the camera, and exclaimed, "Nancy Pelosi is taking on the CIA!" as if it were the most incredulous and surprising occurence to have ever happened. But this is hardly the first time the CIA has been accused of misleading. Heck, it happens all the damn time, really:

--John Boehner said today that, "I've dealt with our intelligence professionals for the last three-and-a-half years on an almost daily basis, and it's hard for me to imagine that our intelligence area would ever mislead a member of Congress." But when the topic was the December 2007 National Intelligence Estimate, Boehner sang a different tune: "Either I don't have confidence in what they told me several months ago or I don't have confidence in what they're telling me today." And on the February 11, 2007 edition of Meet The Press, Boehner said, "It's clear to all of us, Democrats and Republicans, that we have flawed intelligence. The CIA have bad intelligence, the Pentagon had bad intelligence and, for that matter, all of our allies around the world had the same bad intelligence. And so that's why Republicans voted to set up the National Intelligence Directorate to reform our intelligence activities."

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: