Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:07:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?
Research suggests our ancestors traveled the oceans 70,000 years ago
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20-did-humans-colonize-the-world-by-boat

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Flying Spaghetti Monster

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying Spaghetti Monster  (Read 429 times)
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 01:34:49 pm »

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

In December 2005, Bobby Henderson received a reported USD $80,000 advance from Villard to pen The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Henderson said he plans to use the proceeds from the sale of the book to build a pirate ship, with which he may travel the world in order to convert heathens to the Pastafarian religion.[31][19] The book was released on March 28, 2006 (ISBN 0-8129-7656-8).

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster parodies biblical figures with characters such as Captain Mosey, a pirate and the FSM equivalent of Moses. The Gospel contains the aforementioned Eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts." It also provides information on how to convert non-"Pastafarians" and explains many of the religion's beliefs (for example, that lack of pirates causes global warming).

Report Spam   Logged
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 01:35:16 pm »

Notable use in other religious disputes
In December 2007, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster was credited with being at the forefront of successful efforts in Polk County, Florida to persuade Polk County School Board to withdraw from a potential challenge to new science standards mentioning evolution. The issue was raised after five of the seven board members declared a personal belief in the concept of intelligent design. Opponents describing themselves as Pastafarians sent e-mails to Polk school board members, demanding equal time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism. Board member Margaret Lofton, who supported intelligent design, dismissed the e-mail as ridiculous and insulting, and said, "They've made us the laughing stock of the world". Lofton then stated that she had no interest in engaging with the Pastafarians or anyone else seeking to discredit intelligent design. As the controversy developed, scientists expressed their opposition to the claims of intelligent design. Hopes for a new applied science-focused campus of the University of South Florida in northeast Lakeland were reportedly in question, but University Vice President Marshall Goodman expressed surprise and said of intelligent design that, "It's not science. You can't even call it pseudo-science." While unhappy with the outcome, Lofton chose not to resign over the issue. She and the other board members expressed a desire to return to the day-to-day work of running the school district.[32]

Report Spam   Logged
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 01:35:28 pm »

There are some North American universities that, in addition to having various long-standing religious organizations, also have organizations dedicated to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. [33][34][35][36]

Bryan Killian, a high school student in Buncombe County in North Carolina, was suspended for wearing "pirate regalia", which he said was part of his faith. Killian protested the suspension, saying it violated his right to religious freedom.[37]

In March 2008, Pastafarians in Crossville, Tennessee successfully won city approval to place a Flying Spaghetti Monster statue next to the Courthouse, and proceeded to do so.[38] The statue was later evicted, as part of a removal of all long-term statues from the premises, caused mainly by controversy over the statue.[39]

Report Spam   Logged
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 01:36:05 pm »

The Gospel of The Flying Spaghetti Monster
Report Spam   Logged
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 01:36:28 pm »

The Flying Spaghetti Monster in media
In August 2005, the Swedish concept designer Niklas Jansson created, "pretty much free to use for press and such as far as I'm concerned"[40], an adaptation of Michelangelo's The Creation of Adam (superimposing the Flying Spaghetti Monster over God) which became and remains today the FSM's de facto brand image.
The Hunger Artists Theatre Company produced a comedy called The Flying Spaghetti Monster Holiday Pageant in December 2006, detailing the history of Pastafarianism.[41] The production has spawned a sequel called Flying Spaghetti Monster Holy Mug of Grog, performed in December 2008.[42]
The Flying Spaghetti Monster was discussed by Richard Dawkins in his book The God Delusion. It has also been featured in several other media outlets, including The Colbert Report and Science Friday.[43] Dawkins' reference is mocked in the popular show, South Park, in the episode "Go God Go".
The Flying Spaghetti Monster was mentioned by Dimitris Xygalatas in his introduction to the Greek translation of Daniel Dennett's book Breaking the Spell, to demonstrate what the author views as the absurdity of Intelligent Design, which he claims is equal to that of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.[44] The FSM also features on the cover of the book.
Report Spam   Logged
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 01:37:42 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters

List of monsters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monsters
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 07:29:59 pm »

LOL, LOL, LOL....

Welcome to AO, Netherworld!
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 01:12:52 pm »

Thanks, Bianca, are you one of the FSM's worshippers?  He certainly has gathered a growing flock in the last five years.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 07:04:17 pm »

Sort of, Nether....

It came along just at the right time and what a relief it was, wasn't it?

There's nothing like satire/ridicule to defuse some folks' "overbearingness"....

BTW, I live in Florida.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 07:05:01 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 01:32:20 pm »

You live in Florida, home of the Terry Schiavo mess! 

Remember the good old days when the religious fundies controlled every faucet of the government? My, but I miss the Dark Ages! 
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 01:47:16 pm »

Yes, Nether -

That tragic situation with Terry Schiavo happened about 10 minutes from where I live.

What a circus they made of it all, all in the name of THEIR God......

"Remember the good old days when the religious fundies controlled every faucet of the government? My, but I miss the Dark Ages!" 

I am a reincarnationist.

It is my FERVENT hope than if/when I come this way again, the ABRAMIC religions will be no more
than a SAD memory....
Report Spam   Logged

Wind

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 05:33:49 pm »

Grin Cool

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: