Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 09:03:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Kid Cougar

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kid Cougar  (Read 1092 times)
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 10:04:32 am »

Hi Mia

To tell you the truth, as of yet, I don't really know what all happens in the story. I tend to write in a free-flowing style, that I describe as "letting the story tell itself to me."

Of course, bears are territorial and quite protective of their young. I have seen them in the wild, but most often in the dump near my home town. It is my opinion that they tend to mind there own business, unless they feel threatened. I mean, you could just stand there and watch them as long as you didn't get to close. But they are wild animals and unpredictable.

As the story goes forward I am sure that the bears will have ample oppurtunity to flex their muscles and prove their unmatched ferocity and power. They are awe-inspiring.

There was a man who used to make the circuit of the local bars during hunting season with a declawed black bear.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:08:11 am by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 10:11:46 am »

I just saw on Rotten Tomatoes that Disney and Pixar are planning to do a John Carter of Mars movie.

I am thrilled that they are making a Burroughs' Mars movie at last, but I don't think that Disney is the right studio. It will be interesting to see how they handle the over-the-top violence in the series and the scantily-clad martian maidens.

Also I have heard news of a new Conan movie, and I am hopeful... But I have to say that the Dino Delaurentis Conan had nothing of what I loved in the Short Stories of Robert E. Howard. The character of Conan was totally misrepresented and the true spirit of Howards Tales was lacking.

There are making a New Heavy Metal, and from the sound of it, it is going to be a hoot. Each story will have its own direstor and they have lined up some of the best young directors in hollywood.
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Zodiac
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 01:16:45 am »

Hey Unknown!

Have you heard whether Heavy Metal is going to be animated again or not? I dig those movies big-time.

Yeah, Disney should do a fairly crappy, watered down version of John Carter Warlord of Mars.

Did you ever get the chance to see the new Iron Man, Hulk 2 and Darknight movies yet?

Good story, a bit of a departure from your usual stuff, though.  Are you still doing horror stories, too?
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 02:19:11 am »

Hi Zodiac

It's great to hear from you... I am still primarily interested in horror. But I also have a hankering to do some fantasy stuff.

Especially something along the lines of Robert E. Howard who, as I am sure you know, was a friend and Colleage of Lovecraft.

I loved the Heavy Metal movie too... I saw it at the drive inn when it first came out and was ecstatic over it. The theatre here in Pontiac played it every Saturday at midnight for years.

Here's the scoop from Wiki...

"In March 2008, Variety reported that Paramount Pictures was set to make another animated film with David Fincher "spearheading the project." Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman, who is now owner and publisher of Heavy Metal, will direct a segment, as will Tim Miller, "whose Blur Studios will handle the animation for what is being conceived as an R-rated, adult-themed feature."[4]

Entertainment website IGN announced, on 14 July 2008, "David Fincher's edgy new project has suffered a serious setback after it was dropped by Paramount, according to Entertainment Weekly."[5] However, Entertainment Weekly quoted Tim Miller as saying "David really believes in the project. It's just a matter of time."[6]

On 4 September 2008, Eastman was quoted as saying "Fincher is directing one, Guillermo del Toro wants to direct one, Zack Snyder wants to direct one, Gore Verbinski wants to direct one." It was also reported that the film had been moved to Sony division Columbia Pictures and had a budget of $50 million.[7]

On 6 June 2009, Eastman said "I’ve got breaking news that Fincher and James Cameron are going to be Co-Executive Producers on the film.... Cameron will direct one.... Mark Osborne and Jack Black from Tenacious D are going to do a comedy segment for the film." Osborne and Black had previously worked on the animated comedy Kung Fu Panda.[8]"
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 06:29:51 pm »

#1 THE NEW CONAN HAS BEEN FOUND, AND HE'S A LOT LIKE THE OLD ONE
Lionsgate and Nu Image/Millennium have apparently settled upon their choice for the star of the new Conan movie, and he bears a lot of similarities to the original movie Conan, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Roland Kickinger is a 41 year old Austrian bodybuilder-turned-actor, whereas Arnold Schwarzenegger was a 35 year old Austrian bodybuilder-turned-actor when he starred in 1982's Conan the Barbarian. Arnold Schwarzenegger starred in the first three Terminator movies, and Roland Kickinger played a T-800 robot in Terminator: Salvation. Also, Roland Kickinger actually played Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 2005 A&E made-for-cable biopic See Arnold Run. The casting of Roland Kickinger seems to be an attempt to hew as closely to Schwarzenegger's films as possible. Hopefully this reboot will attempt to bring in more elements of the awesome sword & sorcery lore and mythology of Robert E. Howard's original stories (though many fans feel the movies were quite unfaithful to Howard's stories). Filming of Conan begins in the fall of 2009 in Bulgaria, and will be directed by Marcus Nispel (the remakes of Friday the 13th and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) from a script by Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer (cowriters of Sahara and A Sound of Thunder). The Hollywood Reporter ends their article with a zinger that I have to repeat: "No word on whether Arnold will make a cameo -- or on whether Kickinger will run for governor."

#2 FROM GAMBIT TO JOHN CARTER OF MARS
Before casting the live action adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars novels, someone at Walt Disney Pictures apparently had just seen X-Men Origins: Wolverine, as the studio has cast Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins (that movie's Gambit and Silver Fox) as John Carter, the title character of the franchise and Dejah Thoris, the title character of the first novel, Princess of Mars. John Carter of Mars is the story of a Civil War veteran who finds himself mysteriously teleported to Mars, where the lower gravity makes him a superman of sorts, capable of great strength and heroic leaps into the air. Carter quickly finds himself a pivotal player in the wars between the various races, allying himself with Dejah Thoris, the princess of the city state of Helium and with Tars Tarkas, a fierce green-skinned, four-armed insectoid warrior. TThomas Haden Church (Sideways, Spider-Man 3) also revealed this week that he has been cast in John Carter of Mars in an unknown role. John Carter of Mars is the live action debut of director Andrew Stanton, who has helmed six of Pixar's most popular movies, including Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo and WALL-E. Filming will start in November, 2009 and last until July, 2009 (at nine months, that's quite a long shoot) and will happen at various locations in Utah, a state that has has provided the exotic desert settings for movies like Planet of the Apes and the latest Star Trek (it posed as Spock's home world of Vulcan). It's interesing to know that as Burroughs wrote the John Carter books, the inhabitants of Mars did not wear any clothing except for the odd bits of jewelry. Somehow, I don't think Disney is going to give us a big fantasy epic showcasing thousands of naked guys and gals running around in the desert (though maybe that will happen in the inevitable **** knock off, John Holmes of Mars).

Oh God, not another Ar-noold Conan!

I see the Warlord of Mars story mentions the naked chicks in Burroughs original... lol
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Zodiac
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 02:24:29 am »

Hey Unknown!

I love the work of director David Fincher.  He directed (for my money anyway), one of the best movies of the last few years, Zodiac, about the Zodiac Killer, one of the influences that helped me choose my moniker.

I am with you on the fantasy stuff!  The best genres are the one that mix different elements together in it:  LOTR, for instance, has a few different genres in there.

Do you work from an outline when you do these stories or do you just make it up as it goes along?
Report Spam   Logged
Zodiac
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 02:27:45 am »

The new Conan?  Well, it beats Arnold.  After the way he screwed up California, I am not sure I'd be up to watching him in anything again. Angry
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 06:49:07 am »

Hey Zodiac

I have seen the new Iron Man. Whoever wrote it did a great job. The new Hulk was good too. I have to say that the latest Darknight with the joker was great. I am really looking forward to the new Batman video game. Have you seen any of the trailers?

Have you seen the "The Watchmen or Wolverine Origins movies? I am looking forward to renting them. The new Wolverine game is cool, except for some forced button smashing sequences.

I am looking forward to the Avengers movie, it was one of the comics I subscribed to as a kid. I think Thor is going to be problematic though. I can't wait for the new Marvel Alliance game, they are going to have Iron Fist on the roster this time.

Heavy Metal wa a great mag in the seventies, I haven't even seen an issue of it at least a decade.

In my personal opinion Arnold couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, absolutely no charisma.

I usually just write the story as I go... I have tried outling a story but haven't had much success writing that way.
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 10:12:55 pm »

Well it turns out that I was mistaken about ERB's westerns

Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Westerns

Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote westerns with the voice of authority. He had spent time working on his brothers' Idaho ranch from age 16 and later returned to that part of the country when the Burroughs brothers began a mining operation. He joined the army and was assigned to Troop B 7th Cavalry at Fort Grant, Arizona, May 1896. At that time the countryside was plagued by dangerous outlaws like The Apache Kid and Black Jack. Conditions at the fort were deplorable. Morale and the level of discipline at Fort Grant were extremely low. Brutality and tedium marked Ed's tour, except for the times when the troop was mounted on futile and fruitless patrols or involved in the business of digging ditches and building roads. Though his military career was undistinguished, except for a severe case of dysentary and boredom, the experience gave him the background and characters which made his western novels ring with authenticity.

The War Chief
A white man's son, Andy MacDuff, is taken by Go-yat-thlay as a baby and raised as an Apache. In time the child becomes known as Shoz-Dijiji, a grim and powerful warrior, the son of--Geronimo!
 Apache Devil
Shoz-Dijiji continues his adopted people's war against the hated "white-eyes." The romance between Shoz-Dijiji and a white woman is threatened by outlaws and the Apache Devil dispenses justice.

Deputy Sheriff of Commanche County
Ole Gunderstrom has been murdered and one of the suspects is Buck Mason the deputy sheriff, only Buck has disappeared.

The Bandit of Hell's Bend
One woman, two men, maurading Indians and a mysterious robber known as The Black Coyote.

Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 10:20:46 pm »

For those who might be interested here is a link to Burroughs books in the public domain...

Read and enjoy...

http://www.erblist.com/erbmania/index.html

I have been reading the books of Mark Twain lately, what a great, imaginative and clever writer. His characters are simply fantastic and his insights into the human condition profound.
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 01:27:21 am »

Edgar Rice Burroughs - Pretty cool stuff!  Especially the fantasy stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 07:52:19 am »

Hi Pagan

It's nice to hear from you. How are you?
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Dark Goddess
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 11:06:32 am »

Cool website, Unknown.  I see that a lot of it is copyrighted on that website, though, so I will begin ripping Edgar's works from Wikipedia.

He was a great talent!  You have good taste.
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 08:47:57 pm »

Hi Dark Goddess

Thanks

I did see that the ERB site requires permission to reproduce the stories. I am curious as to wether or not you have looked at my story in this thread. I am dedicating it to Burroughs as he had a major impact on my life and not just the countless hours of reading by flashlight. But also his impact on my thinking and my character. In many ways he was my teacher, and I have tried to live by his standards of chivalry and manhood.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:20:05 am by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: