Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:24:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

WATCH: Zodiac Killer Was My Father, Says San Francisco Woman

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WATCH: Zodiac Killer Was My Father, Says San Francisco Woman  (Read 1774 times)
Kristina
Superhero Member

« on: April 30, 2009, 11:25:58 am »

WATCH: Zodiac Killer Was My Father, Says San Francisco Woman

Apr 29, 2009 11:21 pm US/Pacific
Woman Claims Father Was Infamous Zodiac KillerSAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5 / AP / BCN) ― 

The 'Zodiac' Serial Killings Related StoriesZodiac Killer's Identity And Weapon Uncovered? (8/29/2008)
Vallejo PD Search For New Clues In Zodiac Case (2/27/2007)
Zodiac Killer Case Gets New Life (2/23/2007)
San Francisco police were looking into a woman's claim Wednesday that her late father was the infamous Zodiac killer who terrorized the Bay Area in the 1960s and 1970s.

Homicide investigators were checking information provided by 47-year-old Deborah Perez, who said that as a young girl she helped her father write and mail some of the letters that earned him the sensational nickname, SFPD Sgt. Lyn Tomioka said.

Perez of Corona, in Southern California, told reporters that she was seven years old and tagged along with her father, Guy Ward Hendrickson, when he killed two of the known victims nearly 40 years ago — Darlene Ferrin in Vallejo and Paul Stine in San Francisco.

Hendrickson, a carpenter and father of six kids, died in 1983 from cancer, and Perez said she could not keep her father's secrets any longer.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:26:20 am by Kristina » Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:26:32 am »

During a frenzied news conference outside the San Francisco Chronicle on Wednesday, Perez said she had given police what she believed were the eyeglasses Stine wore and letters she wrote on her father's behalf about the crimes.

She said her father took the glasses off of Stine's face and she kept them all these years and only recently realized they belonged to a murder victim and not her father.

"He told me he was sick and all I wanted to do was help my dad," said Perez, who came to her conclusion that her father was the Zodiac killer about two years ago. "He kept telling me he was sick and he killed many, many people. I had no idea."

Perez said she saw a composite sketch of the Zodiac killer in August 2007 and recognized the man as her father, who died in 1983. She said she had never heard of the Zodiac killer prior to seeing the composite sketch.

The self-described Zodiac killer is blamed for at least five murders in 1968 and 1969, and possibly as many as 36. He sent letters to local newspapers including The Chronicle and The San Francisco Examiner that were splashed across the front pages, taunting reporters, police and the public with codes and clues to find his identity.

Nevertheless, he was never caught and his true identity has never been confirmed by police — although many believe he was Arthur Leigh Allen, a convicted child molester who died in 1992.

In September 1969, the killer struck in Napa County, stabbing Cecilia Shephard and Bryan Hartnell, two college students picnicking at Lake Berryessa. The couple was accosted, hog-tied and repeatedly stabbed by a man dressed all in black and wearing an executioner-style hood.

Shephard died and Hartnell survived.

Three killings took place in Vallejo. David Farraday and Betty Lou Jensen, teenagers on their first date, were shot to death in December, 1968. Darlene Ferrin, 22, was shot and killed seven months later at the Blue Rock Springs Golf Club, while her companion, Michael Mageau, 19, survived.

Perez said her father knew Ferrin as "Dee," and they got into an argument on July 4, 1969 at the Blue Rock Springs Golf Club in Vallejo.

"My father grabs his gun, goes to the passenger side and I hear shots, I hear moans, I hear screams," Perez recalled. "We leave and we're pulled over by police and my father takes the gun and puts into a brown paper bag and sticks it into the back of my pants and says 'I need you to not move. Don't move. The police will not understand if they find this gun.'"

They didn't find it, Perez said.

Perez said Wednesday she was also with her father later when he killed Stine, a cab driver, at a San Francisco intersection in October 1969.

Kevin McLean, also in attendance at the Perez news conference, said he worked with attorney Melvin Belli - who the Zodiac killer had contacted pleading for help. McLean said handwriting tests show Perez did write some of the letters, and they hoped DNA testing can be done on the glasses believed to belong to Stine.

Sgt. Tomioka said while SFPD detectives continued to follow leads and treat all claims equally, she emphasized that there was only one known murder that took place in San Francisco linked to the Zodiac.

"We get a significant number of calls a year. We will look into whatever evidence that is presented to us," Tomioka said about the case that also became a hit movie in 2007.

McLean said Perez decided to reveal her father's identity in response to a Sacramento man who had claimed in recent months that a relative of his was the Zodiac killer.

(© CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press and Bay City News contributed to this report.)
http://cbs5.com/crime/zodiac.killer.claim.2.997735.html
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson
Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:27:17 am »

Police sketch of the Zodiac Killer.
KUTV
Report Spam   Logged

Thomas Jefferson
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 02:23:51 am »

Dad was not the Zodiac, second daughter insists
Kevin Fagan, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, May 2, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(05-01) 12:19 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- A Southern California woman's accusation that her long-dead stepfather was the Zodiac killer just took on a bizarre twist: Another daughter of the man popped up Friday to angrily denounce the charge.

Janice Hendrickson said her father, Guy Ward Hendrickson, "couldn't hurt a fly" - or at least couldn't kill one.

"My father was real bullheaded, and he did have a temper, and he did hit me ... slapped the crap out of me," Hendrickson, 65, told The Chronicle. "But did he kill people? I don't believe he did."

She added, "I have fond memories of him, even though he went off on me now and then."

On Wednesday, Hendrickson's stepsister Deborah Perez, 47, held a news conference outside The Chronicle to say her stepfather was the Zodiac. She said she also had fond memories of him - but that as a 7-year-old, she had tagged along a couple of times in the family car when the Zodiac gunned down his victims, although she didn't see the slayings and didn't know what the popping noises or moans she heard were.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 02:24:57 am by Copperhead » Report Spam   Logged
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 02:25:49 am »

The Zodiac killed at least five people in 1968 and 1969 in the Bay Area, taunted the press and police with cryptic, boasting letters, and remains the most infamous uncaught killer in American crime lore.

Perez, a real estate agent who lives in Corona (Riverside County), said she wrote one of the Zodiac's letters, a 1969 missive to the late San Francisco attorney Melvin Belli asking for his help. She also said she owns a pair of glasses her stepfather kept as a trophy from the Zodiac's last known killing, the shooting of cabbie Paul Stine in San Francisco in 1969.

Perez said Friday that she will be sending the glasses soon to San Francisco investigators.

Janice Hendrickson - a former home caregiver who now works with children in the Bay Area - said she, her two siblings, 12 grandchildren and one great-grandchild "are very mad" about Perez's accusations regarding her father, who died of cancer in Orange County in 1983.

As she held a picture of her parents on their wedding day in 1943, Hendrickson shook with rage. In the frame, Guy Hendrickson cut a dapper figure in a brown suit and tie, his hair slicked back.
Report Spam   Logged
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:26:19 am »

Lawsuit threat
"If the evidence proves that my father was the Zodiac, I will apologize, but if not, I will sue for defamation," she said. "Sure, Deborah might have written that letter (to Belli), but that doesn't prove anything."

She said her father had married Perez's mother when Perez was young and brought the family to the United States. Perez confirmed that in an interview.

"My father found Deborah and her mother, a dime-a-dance girl, in Tijuana, Mexico, and brought them up here to live," Hendrickson said. "They lived in a place with dirt floors. That woman had seven kids. ... She was a gold-digger. ... How can you believe Deborah?"

Her father, Hendrickson said, was a carpenter specializing in repairing schools, and lived in many places during three marriages, from Oregon to Orange County. "I just can't see him finding the time to do all those Zodiac killings," she said.
Report Spam   Logged
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 02:29:06 am »

Read the Bible nightly
What's more, she said, "my dad read the Bible every night of the week, and he was always preaching that every man should support every kid he fathers. He didn't even like guns much. The most I ever saw him do was shoot a frog with a .22, and he felt bad about that."

Not that he didn't hang out with some shady characters, Hendrickson conceded. "If anything, it would have been his best friend ... who carried a sawed-off shotgun, who might have done something like the Zodiac," she said. "But not Dad."

Hendrickson said she has spoken with an FBI investigator, and she intends to give him a box of her father's belongings. The box has his writings, a tape recording of his voice and could yield fingerprints, she said. She was grown and out of the house when the Zodiac killings happened, she said, but remained close to her father throughout his life.

Hendrickson contended Perez was coming out with her accusations because she and her associates are making a documentary they say will prove their case. She called Perez on Friday, and as the two spoke for the first time in many years, the conversation became heated, both said.

"I told her she's full of crap, that she's making this movie and she's just trying to make some money," Hendrickson said. "I am so upset."
Report Spam   Logged
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 02:29:51 am »

Sanity rumors
Perez said she had tried hard to protect the family's privacy, and found Hendrickson's accusations "painful." She added that other rumors circulating about her motives and sanity since her news conference were "not even worthy of responses."

"Janice can do whatever she wants," Perez said. "She said abusive words to me and called my family retarded. That really offends me. I have a son with Down syndrome, and that is insensitive.

"And how in the world would being born in poverty in Mexico have anything to do with my credibility? My father did a wonderful thing bringing us to America.

"I'll say this, though," Perez added. "I am ecstatic that Janice is bringing forth this new evidence (the box of belongings) that might help. That makes it all worth it.

"This whole thing is devastating to my family. ... But this is all about helping the families who never received closure."

E-mail Kevin Fagan at kfagan@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page A - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/02/MNP217CT9B.DTL
Report Spam   Logged
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 02:31:15 am »

A screen capture from a documentary shows Deborah Perez holding a pair of eyeglasses that she says belonged to Zodiac victim Paul Stine, a cabbie shot to death Oct. 11, 1969. (Courtesy of Deborah Perez)
Report Spam   Logged
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 02:32:05 am »

Deborah Perez (left) says she was the daughter of the Zodiac killer. She and her attorney Kevin McLean (right) held a news conference in front of the Chronicle building in San Francisco on Wednesday. (Liz Hafalia / The Chronicle)
Report Spam   Logged
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 02:32:52 am »

Received July 27, 1970: A man tries to kidnap Kathleen Johns and her infant daughter on March 22, 1970. Johns later identifies the suspect as the man in the Wanted poster for the Zodiac killer. Many speculate this note mailed to The Chronicle refers to the abduction attempt.
Report Spam   Logged
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 02:33:35 am »

Deborah Perez gets out of a car in front of the Chronicle building for a news conference in San Francisco on Wednesday. Perez says she was the daughter of the Zodiac killer. (Liz Hafalia / The Chronicle)
Report Spam   Logged
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 02:35:19 am »

Deborah Perez holds a news conference in front of the San Francisco Chronicle. Perez claims to be the daughter of Guy Ward Hendrickson, who she says was the Zodiac Killer and died in 1993 of cancer. Perez claims to have embroidered the mask that was worn during killings and says that she also wrote letters for her father to the San Francisco Chronicle and attorney Melvin Belli. The Zodiac Killer killed at least five people in Northern California in the late 1960s and was known for sending taunting letters to the press. (Justin Sullivan / Getty Images)
Report Spam   Logged
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 02:36:04 am »

The police released a sketch of the man suspected of being the Zodiac killer in 1969.
Report Spam   Logged
Copperhead
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 02:36:55 am »

Zodiac victim Paul Stine, a cabbie shot to death Oct. 11, 1969. (Chronicle Archive)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: