Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 05:33:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Were seafarers living here 16,000 years ago?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34805893-6a53-46f5-a864-a96d53991051&k=39922

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Sailor Sues Over Safety Of Pirated Maersk Alabama

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sailor Sues Over Safety Of Pirated Maersk Alabama  (Read 158 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: April 27, 2009, 03:26:03 pm »

Richard E. Hicks, right, the chief cook on board the Maersk Alabama, listens to his attorney Terry Bryant speak
after filing a lawsuit Monday, April 27, 2009 in Houston.

Hicks, a crew member of the American-flagged cargo ship hijacked earlier this month by African pirates, sued
the owner of the vessel on Monday, accusing the company of knowingly putting the sailors who were aboard
in danger by ignoring risks and calls for safety improvements.

(AP Photo/
David J. Phillip)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:39:00 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:35:04 pm »

Sailor sues over safety of pirated Maersk Alabama

Juan A. Lozano,
Associated Press Writer
– April 27, 2009
HOUSTON

– A member of the crew on the U.S.-flagged ship hijacked by African pirates sued the owner and another
company Monday, accusing them of knowingly putting sailors in danger.

Richard E. Hicks alleges in the suit that owner Maersk Line Limited and Waterman Steamship Corp., which
provided the crew, ignored requests to improve safety measures for vessels sailing along the Somali coast.

Hicks was chief cook on the Maersk Alabama. Pirates held the ship's captain hostage for five days
until the U.S. Navy rescued him.

Hicks' lawsuit seeks at least $75,000 in damages and improved safety.

Officials for Norfolk, Va.-based Maersk Line and Mobile, Ala.-based Waterman said their companies
don't comment on pending litigation.

Hicks asked that the two companies improve safety for ships by providing armed security or allow-
ing crew members to carry weapons, sending ships through safer routes, and placing such safety
measures on ships as barbed wire that would prevent pirates from being able to board vessels.

"We've had safety meetings every month for the last three years and made suggestions of what
should be done and they have been ignored," Hicks said. "I'm just trying to make sure this is a lot
better for other seamen."

Hicks also asked the two companies pay at least $75,000 in damages, saying he doesn't know if he
will ever work on a ship again.

"My family is not looking forward to me going back out to sea. But I'm not sure if I'm going back. I'm
still nervous, leery. I might find something else to do, said Hicks, who has worked 32 years as a mer-
chant seaman.

"We think (the companies) should be more concerned about the personnel on their ships than the
profits the companies make," said Terry Bryant, Hicks' attorney.

Both companies do business in Texas, which is why the suit was filed in Houston, he said.

Pirates took over the Alabama on April 8 before Capt. Richard Phillips surrendered himself in exchange
for the safety of his 19-member crew. The captain was taken on a lifeboat and held hostage for five
days before U.S. Navy SEAL snipers on the destroyer USS Bainbridge killed three of his captors and
freed him.

Hicks said crew members have been trained on what to do if pirates or others threaten the ship.

"We need more than training," said the 53-year-old who lives in Royal Palm Beach, Fla., and has two
grown sons. "I never thought nothing like this would ever happen."

Hicks said pirates had tried to board the ship two other times that week, but the Alabama had managed
to outrun them. But on April 8, as Hicks was preparing food for the crew, the ship's alarm rang and the
captain announced the ship was being boarded by pirates.

Hicks and the other crew members went to their designated safety room, which was the engine room,
and they waited there for more than 12 hours in 125 degree heat.

"I didn't know if I was going to live or die," Hicks said.

The crew managed to take a pirate hostage, wounding him with an ice pick, and attempted to use him
to get back Phillips. But the bandits fled the ship with Phillips as their captive, holding him in the lifeboat
until the SEAL sharpshooters rescued him.

"He did a hell of a job saving us," Hicks said of Phillips.

But Bryant said the Maersk Line and Waterman share the blame for putting the crew at risk.

"We want to bring more attention to the shipping industry and the dangers in pirate-infested waters,"
he said.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:37:23 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:38:18 pm »

GOOD FOR HIM!

The whole crew should sue.  Especially Captain Phillips.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: