Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 06:18:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Robin Hood and His Adventures

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robin Hood and His Adventures  (Read 2692 times)
Whitney
Superhero Member

« Reply #345 on: February 02, 2010, 01:27:05 pm »

"All testify against you, Excellence," said the outlaw, speaking again to Carfax. "What is your story of it? Speak without fear."

"This rascal did imprudently waylay us on the road with a demand for money," began Carfax, "and I, riding back at his noise, did recognize him for one Robin Locksley, a notorious fellow who has defied my lord the Sheriff's authority; and has also been suspect of being of your company--which is a thing, saving your presence, Master Cloudesley, that has been poor recommendation in the past. Further, with our own eyes have we seen him shoot and kill one of his Majesty's stags, a most valued beast with sixteen pointed antlers, as you can see. We were but exercising the law upon him, as is appointed . . . . That is to say, Master Ford was directing his men to carry out the law," said Carfax, with his thin cheeks pale with fear. "I did but counsel prudence, and plead for the youth."

Report Spam   Logged

"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
Whitney
Superhero Member

« Reply #346 on: February 02, 2010, 01:27:14 pm »

"Enough," cried Will, with contempt in his tones. "Now tell me the message which the Prince has sent by so worthy a messenger."

"That is for your private ear," said Simeon, cunningly.

"You may speak plainly before my comrades," said Will. "Doubtless they are as interested in the Royal words as I myself."

Report Spam   Logged

Whitney
Superhero Member

« Reply #347 on: February 02, 2010, 01:27:23 pm »

"I was to bid you come at once to the city gate, so many of you as would," Carfax said, "there to receive the King's pardon from the hands of our beloved Prince. Indeed, his gracious Highness did well expect to see you before him three days agone, at the tourney."

"Dressed about with red ribbons, I trow?" enquired the outlaw, as if helping him.

Report Spam   Logged

Whitney
Superhero Member

« Reply #348 on: February 02, 2010, 01:27:32 pm »

"Indeed yes, Master Cloudesley. You have said it, indeed. Knowledge of your loyalty to us was brought to the Prince by me. By me, good friend," he repeated, insinuatingly. "And now give back to me my parchment--which, being writ in the Latin tongue, is truly no more than a cartel to my lord the Abbot of York--and let us set forth joyfully. For henceforth ye will be as free men, and what is past will be forgotten."

"I can read you the scroll, Will," said Robin, quietly. "I have some knowledge of the priestly tongue."

Report Spam   Logged

Whitney
Superhero Member

« Reply #349 on: February 02, 2010, 01:27:44 pm »

The outlaw handed him the scroll, and all waited in silence whilst Robin deciphered it. Carfax snapped his teeth together in vexation at

p. 116

this unexpected turn. "He cannot read the parchment. Is it likely?" he cried. "He will but pretend to read it, and make lies with which to confound me. 'Tis writ in most scholarly Latin, that only few may learn."

Report Spam   Logged

Whitney
Superhero Member

« Reply #350 on: February 02, 2010, 01:27:56 pm »

"There is treachery here for you, Will," spoke Robin, without heeding these outcries. "This is a notification from the Prince to the Abbot of York saying that his emissaries have sounded you and that you are ready with your men to strike for him."

"I have said so much," commented Will, "naming three conditions."
Report Spam   Logged

Whitney
Superhero Member

« Reply #351 on: February 02, 2010, 01:28:08 pm »

"They are written herein: first, that a general amnesty is to be granted; second, that the ban of excommunication is to be removed from off you by the Holy Church; and third, that the Prince shall find your men, afterward, honorable employment."

"That is so, Locksley. The letter is exact."
Report Spam   Logged

Whitney
Superhero Member

« Reply #352 on: February 02, 2010, 01:28:17 pm »

"So the Prince writes to the Abbot, asking him to promise the second of your conditions, saying that it need be only a promise, for he has not the least intention of holding to a bargain with one so evil as yourself, and that after he has won the throne from Henry his father, matters such as these will be disposed of by his soldiery, if need be."

"It is; not true," screamed Carfax. "He lies to you, Master Cloudesley, seeking to be revenged on me."

Report Spam   Logged

Whitney
Superhero Member

« Reply #353 on: February 02, 2010, 01:28:27 pm »

"Any clerk can read these lines to you, Will," answered Robin. "The Prince continues praying for the welfare of them all at York, and saying that he has already promised in the Abbot's name that the loan shall be taken off; that the Abbot is to receive and watch narrowly one Geoffrey of Montfichet, who has been exiled for treason, but who now imprudently has returned to work on their behalf in England."

"Now do I know that you are reading truly," cried Will, and his brow grew black. "For how could you know that your cousin was concerned in this? You false-hearted knave," he added, turning to Carfax, "false as your false master--your doom is sealed. Tie him up by his heels, and let him hang head downward from this tree whereon he would have hung gallant Locksley. Be speedy, men."

Report Spam   Logged

Whitney
Superhero Member

« Reply #354 on: February 02, 2010, 01:28:50 pm »

At this Simeon Carfax became as one quite demented, and Robin interposed.

"Let us not punish the man for his master's fault, Will," cried he.

p. 117
http://sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/rh/rh14.htm

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: