Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:42:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Has the Location of the Center City of Atlantis Been Identified?
http://www.mysterious-america.net/hasatlantisbeenf.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Monsters, Which is the Scariest?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monsters, Which is the Scariest?  (Read 573 times)
Horus

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 10:12:54 am »

I don't think that anyone here has stated that werewolves are everywhere, simply that they are at least as credible as poltergeists are, most of which tend to be products of an over-wrought person's imagination.

LOL! So by this rationale most werewolf sightings are products of an "overwrought imagination" -that I might agree with.

However, as far as spirits are concerned, I'm well aware of that pitfall as are many paranormal researchers when investigating claims, but "most" is not accurate -"few and far between" is.

After all, we have only your word that you have even encountered a poltergeist.  For all you know, someone here could have also had an experience with a werewolf. Neither your testimony, nor theirs would be considered "proof" to the scientific community. 

Actually, spiritual activity has been videotaped, audiotaped, and subjected to ultraviolet and infrared detection so yes some elements of the scientific community have entered the scene -the more open-minded ones. Spirits are common because the world is fully inhabited by them. The ones encased in flesh are called human beings. The ones no longer encased but earthbound are called ghosts, and the ones never incarnate are usually called demons.

As for the "we" involved in this conversation, it is quite obvious that one person involved has multiple accounts here and is exercising sockpuppetry!   Embarrassed 

Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
the Coming Darkness
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 11:02:26 am »

As for the "we" involved in this conversation, it is quite obvious that one person involved has multiple accounts here and is exercising sockpuppetry

I doubt that, I just think that people don't see any distinguishment in you stating there is no proof for werewolves, when there is about the same level of proof for poltergeists.  It's a common sense argument, either you accept that supernatural creatures exist, or you don't.  Sorry if you have one level for providing evidence while others have another.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:03:01 am by the Coming Darkness » Report Spam   Logged
the Coming Darkness
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 11:05:22 am »

Quote from: the Coming Darkness on Yesterday at 12:49:07 am
Obviously, there has to be some basis for the werewolf legend, so people most have believed they had seen them. 

And undead vampires, and cyclops, and gorgons, and hydras, the creature from the black lagoon etc. etc. -a host of mythical creatures throughout time.

Hardly.  The proof that the ancient Greeks used to establish these creatures was very clearly dinosaur bones. From them, the established the basis for their myths.  When have werewolf or even, for that matter, vampire bones ever been found?
Report Spam   Logged
the Coming Darkness
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 11:13:27 am »

I don't know that poltergeist attacks are all that common.  And how many of those poltergeist attacks (and ghost sightings) are the product of over-worked imaginations?

Obviously you've never encountered one and don't know anyone who has nor made a study of it.

I have never encountered one personally, but I have studied poltergeists, ghosts and haunted houses.  Hence, the observation:  poltergeist attacks simply aren't that common.  If you encounter them on a frequent basis, you are in the minority. Ghost sightings are far more common.

"Commonplace" - comparatively speaking.  Destructive spirits are more common than alleged "werewolves" I can assure you!

No, they are not, of course, I suppose it depends where you are at.  Werewolf sightings are actually quite frequent over the last few years. The series, "Monsterquest" has even devoted a show to them.

Lots of documentary series have run on the subject over the years "Sightings", "Hauntings", etc.

Fine, name a few then that support the idea that poltergeists attack frequently. I have stated one for you to  - Monsterquest, check it out.

I've personally had half a dozen encounters with ghosts, and during my blood-curdling encounter with the poltergeist,

Fine, of course we have only your word for that, and, since you haven't supplied any proof, I suppose we will have to leave that one up in the air.

I sought advice from a degreed parapsychologist who travels around with a team and equipment to  record such activity.  There's just alot more more of it than people realize -or I should say rather - than people want to realize.

I think that tha majority of people actually do believe in ghosts.  The problem why everyone doesn't believe in them is because the case studies have been like yours - all the personal accounts of individuals who supply no evidence to back themselves up.
Report Spam   Logged
Horus

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 05:48:05 pm »

Roll Eyes  This has simply become an annoyance.

"Coming Darkness" (and your alter egos), you want me to furnish "proof" yet you aren't citing any yourself to back up your various claims like a credible source that states that ancient Greeks made up all of their stories about mythical creatures because of dinosaur fossils for example.

There is some plain old "armchair quarterbacking" going on here when this disagreement (between myself and the multiple identities of the werewolf afficionado) should be debated with facts, statistics, citing research and sources.

Of course, I didn't enter this thread to conduct that kind of debate and get back into this subject (I'm an Atlantologist now and that's why I joined this forum two years ago) and the considerable time and  research it requires -only to simply state what I think are the "scariest monsters" and why, but a werewolf fan took issue with that and claims that werewolves really exist and are common (!) -definitely more common than poltergeists (which is an absolutely ludicrous claim that would be laughed out of any serious paranormal group).  The onus and burden of proof is on this claimant who can only offer (as a referral, and sans any evidence) one episode of "monsterquest" in support!

So perhaps "one of you"/"all of you"/"you" would like to enlighten us here at AO by starting a "werewolves exist and are plentiful" thread and gather together all of the scientific evidence that supports this view.  Until then, this conversation is going no where and is wasting time. 

I may do the same for poltergeists and other dark spirits (though tons have already been compiled by others all over the net) if time allows and my priorities shift. 

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:53:42 pm by Horus » Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 08:59:58 pm »

The HULK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Wink
Report Spam   Logged
the Coming Darkness
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 01:47:34 am »

Roll Eyes  This has simply become an annoyance.

"Coming Darkness" (and your alter egos), you want me to furnish "proof" yet you aren't citing any yourself to back up your various claims like a credible source that states that ancient Greeks made up all of their stories about mythical creatures because of dinosaur fossils for example.

There is some plain old "armchair quarterbacking" going on here when this disagreement (between myself and the multiple identities of the werewolf afficionado) should be debated with facts, statistics, citing research and sources.

Of course, I didn't enter this thread to conduct that kind of debate and get back into this subject (I'm an Atlantologist now and that's why I joined this forum two years ago) and the considerable time and  research it requires -only to simply state what I think are the "scariest monsters" and why, but a werewolf fan took issue with that and claims that werewolves really exist and are common (!) -definitely more common than poltergeists (which is an absolutely ludicrous claim that would be laughed out of any serious paranormal group).  The onus and burden of proof is on this claimant who can only offer (as a referral, and sans any evidence) one episode of "monsterquest" in support!

So perhaps "one of you"/"all of you"/"you" would like to enlighten us here at AO by starting a "werewolves exist and are plentiful" thread and gather together all of the scientific evidence that supports this view.  Until then, this conversation is going no where and is wasting time. 

I may do the same for poltergeists and other dark spirits (though tons have already been compiled by others all over the net) if time allows and my priorities shift. 

"Horus," you are welcome to act like an ass to your heart's content, its's a free forum, however no amount of pomposity/distractions on your part can hide the fact that you are only offering an opinion on your part, with no evidence to back up your conclusions. If this is the way you gather evidence to support your atlantology, I don't doubt that you are a poor scientist.

So, apparently you would like to impose a higher threshold of proof on those who disagree with you, while apparently absolving yourself of providing any proof of your own.  I can't decide whether you are dense or simply the world's biggest hypocrite.

I'm an Atlantologist now and that's why I joined this forum two years ago

Yes, I read some of your atlantology work. For the most part you are simply congratulating Greg Little on his work.     Cheesy

but a werewolf fan took issue with that and claims that werewolves really exist and are common (!) -definitely more common than poltergeists (which is an absolutely ludicrous claim that would be laughed out of any serious paranormal group).

Let's talk sense here, most people don't believe in poltergeists and 90% of the cases that paranormal investigations turn out to be something mundane. If you are claiming differently, you are simply not staing the facts. So, perhaps in your world there are "serious" paranormal groups that encounter poltergeists on a daily basis but that simply is not reality.

As for the existence of werewolves, the proof is out there, but since you are apparently above presenting any evidence to support your conclusons, I see no reason to show any to support mine. Believe what you wish, perhaps (like poltergeists) leprechauns are also a favorite of yours and you will passionately defend them, too. 

The onus and burden of proof is on this claimant who can only offer (as a referral, and sans any evidence) one episode of "monsterquest" in support!

Apparently that is one more episode than you have provided to support your conclusions, my pompous friend. 

So perhaps "one of you"/"all of you"/"you" would like to enlighten us here at AO by starting a "werewolves exist and are plentiful" thread and gather together all of the scientific evidence that supports this view.

There are several such werewolf threads in the Supernatural section.  If you have been too disinterested to ever check them out, that is your problem, not mine. I usually do my homework before stating something, you, apparently, are simply given to flip statements.

Until then, this conversation is going no where and is wasting time. 

I disagree, this whole conversation has been a waste of time. Since, apparently, you are incapable of "debating" anyone on the facts and have to resort to character assasination to make a point.

The best debates, "Horus," are where educated people supply facts and cases to back up their points, not resort to distractions and insults.  And yes, I know I have resorted to a few of mine in this reply, but I have to admit that I have never been quite partial to pompus people who pretend to know it all.  Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged
Volkaitis
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 02:03:29 am »

At the risk of being declared a "sockpuppet" by Horus and allowing him to once again mock me with his little smiley icon > < I would have to say that, while I believe in both werewolves and poltergeists, I actually find werewolves to be far scarier.

Both pale in comparison with the Nephilim of old, however.  Was anyone aware that the Book of Enoch and the Book of Giants actually list them as 450 feet tall?  And they fed on human beings as well.  They must have been complete monsters.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 02:05:36 am by Volkaitis » Report Spam   Logged
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 01:07:56 pm »

Are we talking real monsters or make believe monsters? 

Because very few monsters have definitively been proven.  I would say that vampires would be one of the scariest - their existence, of course, still a subject of debate.
Report Spam   Logged
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 01:11:28 pm »

From Wiki:

The word monster derives from Latin monstrum, meaning "omen", from the root of monere ("to warn") and also meaning "prodigy" or "miracle".

The term monster refers to a being that is a gross exception to the norms of some ecosystem. A person referred to as a monster is taken as exceptionally evil, grotesque, unreasonably strict and uncaring, sociopathic, and/or sadistic. The word monster connotes something wrong or evil; e.g.: a monstrous being is: very morally objectionable, physically or psychologically hideous, or a freak of nature.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: