Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 09:20:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

'MYSTERY QUEST'- Drs. Greg & Lora Little's Series On History Channel

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'MYSTERY QUEST'- Drs. Greg & Lora Little's Series On History Channel  (Read 14312 times)
Wind

« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2009, 01:34:59 am »

I found the program very interesting, I was hoping for more however, I guess I'll just have to be patient, things this big take time 
Grin
It did confirm some theories that I have had, which is good.

Unfortunately, they gave  a lot of time to the ridiculous Santorini/Thera Minoan theory

I wish that they had just devoted the whole program to the Bahamas, but I guess that they have to look at it from all possible angles, even if those angles are far off.
Report Spam   Logged
Jennifer O'Dell
Superhero Member

« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2009, 12:20:48 pm »

What I don't get is why the Minoan people always act so smug about their idea that Santorini was Atlantis.

Have they even read Timaeus and Critias?  It has nothing to do with Atlantis.  Plato doesn't even mention a volcano.
Report Spam   Logged
Wind

« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2009, 01:10:20 pm »

Plato doesn't even mention a volcano.

That's very true, he wouldn't have left something that important out of the story.

Wasn't it the supposed Gods that destroyed Atlantis, I don't think that the Greeks viewed Volcanoes as Gods. Huh

If they would only use a little logic and reasoning they would see how off the idea of Santorini as Atlantis is.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:53:19 am by Wind » Report Spam   Logged
Horus

« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2009, 02:25:08 pm »

Earthquakes (mentioned in the story) are volcanism.  Wind, the Greeks attributed natural phenomena to supernatural causes like the gods, titans, and giants.  Mt. Aetna, the active volcano on Sicily,  was thought to be where Zeus' son, the blackmith of the gods, Hephaestus (Roman -Vulcan= root of "volcano"), had his forge. 
Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
Robert0326
Superhero Member

« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2009, 07:26:17 pm »

Like I said in the other thread about this show, I was not impressed at all.  Nothing really new and the R.C.D showed that the area they were looking at could not be Atlantis.  Maybe they should start looking elsewhere.
Report Spam   Logged

Blasphemy is a victimless crime.
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."     Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823 -Thomas Jefferson
Wind

« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2009, 02:07:23 am »

Earthquakes (mentioned in the story) are volcanism

Is there any proof of this? I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just asking.  An asteroid impact would accomplish the same thing and would seem to the so called primitive people of that time to be otherworldly or Godly.  (For the record I don’t believe in such an impact)

It seems to me that when it comes to Plato we assume an awful lot.   Until I can sit down with Plato and have a nice face to face discussion and get the real scoop on what he really meant, I’m not going to assume anything, since this is unlikely to ever happen I’ll have to continue doing what  we’re all really doing and keep guessing.
Report Spam   Logged
Robert0326
Superhero Member

« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2009, 03:36:06 am »

Earthquakes are not volcanism.  Not sure where Horus got that from.  Weather we get our information from Plato or Psychics we assume and make our own judgments and create our own theories because it was such a long time ago.
Report Spam   Logged

Blasphemy is a victimless crime.
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."     Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823 -Thomas Jefferson
Wind

« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2009, 09:46:46 am »

Earthquakes are not volcanism.  Not sure where Horus got that from.  Weather we get our information from Plato or Psychics we assume and make our own judgments and create our own theories because it was such a long time ago.

Exactly. Thank you Robert, Smiley   

At the end of the day we’re all just giving it our best guess.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Jennifer O'Dell
Superhero Member

« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2009, 11:32:19 am »

Yeah, I am pretty sure that Plato not only mentioned only earthquakes, but described earthquakes, and not volcanism:

Of the combatants on the one side, the city of Athens was reported to have been the leader and to have fought out the war; the combatants on the other side were commanded by the kings of Atlantis, which, as was saying, was an island greater in extent than Libya and Asia, and when afterwards sunk by an earthquake, became an impassable barrier of mud to voyagers sailing from hence to any part of the ocean.

For the fact is that a single night of excessive rain washed away the earth and laid bare the rock; at the same time there were earthquakes, and then occurred the extraordinary inundation, which was the third before the great destruction of Deucalion.

Where the Acropolis now is there was a fountain, which was choked by the earthquake, and has left only the few small streams which still exist in the vicinity,

But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.

As for volcanism, well, the ancients describe records of volcanoes exploding, they did know the difference.
Report Spam   Logged
Horus

« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2009, 01:46:37 pm »

Well a geologist told me that, but what does he know.  Wink  An earthquake is defined as  the result of a sudden release of energy in the Earth's crust that creates seismic waves. Contrary to popular perception, volcanism is more than just the discharge of molten rock to the surface and covers plate tectonics and the actions of the plate boundaries i.e. earthquakes, and there's also non-magmatic volcanism.  In a general sense, earthquakes can refer to any disruption on the crust so you are right, Wind, in that asteroids or even artificial stumuli like nuclear weapons can make quakes too, but most of the time the causes are volcanic movements in the crust and mantle.  In regards to Atlantis, and Hellas, volcanism of the plates ("elevator tectonics") sank those regions, especially if the Azores was a piece of it.
Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
nikas
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2009, 06:02:10 pm »

Plato doesn't even mention a volcano.

That's very true, he wouldn't have left something that important out of the story.

Wasn't it the supposed Gods that destroyed Atlantis, I don't think that the Greeks viewed Volcanoes as Gods. Huh

If they would only use a little logic and reasoning they would see how off the idea of Santorini as Atlantis is.

Just a correction here. anything powerfull to generate distruction it was viewed as gods will in Ancient greece. the Volcanos were consider gods (Iphestio was an imortal god of Volcano)!
Report Spam   Logged
mdsungate

Hermes, Gateway of the Sun

« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2009, 02:00:02 am »

Smiley  Well I mentioned this in the other thread, but it’s worth repeating.  I’m still miffed about Greg having to put back that stone anchor, because there was protected coral growing on it!  Good Gosh, we could find the Arc of the Covenant, and some stupid environmental law would make us put it back! 

This is embarrassing but I actually fell asleep when they got to the part about Santorini as Atlantis!  I am so sick of that idea, which is so obviously wrong.

And let’s not get hung up on semantics here.  Volcanism or earthquake aside, an Island the size of a continent sank, LOL!!  Shocked The Atlantic is the most geologically active place on the globe, and most islands are formed by volcanoes that rise above the sea, (i.e., Hawaii.)  It’s really a nute point.  At that level of catastrophe, I would expect to see lava somewhere, LOL.  When the ground splits open in a severe earthquake, there’s lava down there, no?  Roll Eyes

Before the theory of plate tectonics became popular, school children always pointed out the continents all fit together like a big jigsaw puzzle.  And now it is basically an accepted theory.  It all fits together except for one missing piece, and as Charles Berlitz points points out in his book “Atlantis the 8th Continentent” the mid-atlantic range which sits on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean is the exact shape of the missing piece.  Now I don’t want to offend anyone else’s views of where Atlantis actually lies, but if tectonic plates can overlap and cause mountain ranges as is currently believed, then I don’t see why they couldn’t just as well sink.  Plato and Caycee aside, if Atlantis truly was a “continent” and the mid-Atlantic range was once about sea level and then sank, then it was one very bad day to go deep sea fishing when it sank, LOL.  Tongue   And yes, if that happened I would expect to see lava, and boiling seas.  I don’t know if you call that volcanism or not, but again that’s just semantics.  Wink

Where ever Atlantis is or isn’t, I applaud Greg for helping to make our favorite topic “front page news” with his explorations.  And I’m not sure, but I think that was Laura on the boat, and she deserves some credit here as well.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Hermes Trismegistus:  “As above, so below.”
Horus

« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2009, 11:08:05 am »

The Littles did an admirable job of supporting the Bahamian Atlantis theory with the data at hand.  Last time they had to share time with Robert Sarmast's Cyprus theory which was given greater credence by the program producers ("Digging for the Truth"?). At least Thera didn't override the Bahamas this time. 

What I think confuses the issue for the lay public is the Bimini Road/Breakwater.  The Bahamas can't seem to be mentioned in an Atlantis special without Cayce's reading about Poseidia rising in 1968 and 1969 and the discovery of the "Road" in 1968 being mentioned, and yet it bears a younger-than-Atlantis date, and its construction style matches Phoenician breakwaters in the Med.  All this proves is that conventional cultures from the Old World sailed to the New and probably to trade with the Maya which is why New World plants like **** and tobacco were found in Egypt and religious artifacts (like a statue of the canaanite god Bes) were found in MesoAmerica. All of this certainly threatens (and overturns, IMHO) the orthodox, " Columbus-first" view of history, but does next to nil to support the theory of Atlantis. 

As for what destroyed Atlantis, or produced the earthquakes of Plato's tale, it could be  any number of factors or even a combination of them.  There's the Carolina Bay Meteor impacts and Otto Muck's hypothesis.  The world was also undergoing a tremendous cataclysm at the end of the last ice age which is marked geologically at 9600 B.C. (the end of the Pleistocene and beginning of the current Holocene eras), a date that "coincidentally" matches Plato's time for Atlantis destruction, and which involved rapid deglaciation and flooding as well as tectonic submergence of certain areas. 

The Grand Bahama Bank is situated on the edge of the North American Plate which is subducting the small, seismically-unstable Caribbean Plate.  This produced the volcanic islands on the Caribbean arc and and tons of regular, severe earthquake activity in the region which stays out of the news because it's bad for their tourism business.  If there was a poleshift in 10,000 B.C., or a meteor strike, or a nuclear war (as evidenced by data posted in the 'Ancient War of the Gods' thread), or a crystal energy accident (per Cayce), this could accelerate crustal Plate actions in that vicinity dramatically and help sink the Bahamas even more rapidly.
Report Spam   Logged

Reading 3253-2
mdsungate

Hermes, Gateway of the Sun

« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2009, 10:01:40 pm »

Smiley  QUOTE FROM HORUS:

If there was a poleshift in 10,000 B.C., or a meteor strike, or a nuclear war (as evidenced by data posted in the 'Ancient War of the Gods' thread), or a crystal energy accident (per Cayce), this could accelerate crustal Plate actions in that vicinity dramatically and help sink the Bahamas even more rapidly.

Well something geologically significant happened in 10,000 B.C., (or more exactly, 12,960 years ago, which is exactly half of the time it takes for the precession of the equinoxes to cycle).  We are now learning that is the same time that the Great Lakes were formed.  Pole shifts make more sense to me than global warming does, so perhaps that was the cause of the geological upheaval.  As for atomic war ala the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita, I belelive the Atlanteans were the victors there as the story goes, after the Rama caused a heavy toll on the Atlantean officers with their physic warfare, LOL.

And although I read Cayce’s brother’s book, (more of a pamphlet), on his Atlantis readings, I’ve never heard about a “crystal energy accident.”  I’m really curious about that.  I’ve always “felt” that the Atlanteans did themselves in by “playing with fire” so to speak.   To be sure I’ve read about the “dreaded crystals”, but in what readings does he mention an “accident” with them?  I really have to come up with the money to join the A.R.E, LOL.

Greg wasn’t totally correct in regards to our group here when during the show; he said that, “most people think of Atlantis as a great civilization that had cars and flying vehicles”, (or something to that effect).  I think many of our members here at AO are more inclined to regard Atlantis as a mighty ancient civilization with world conquest on their minds, more like the Romans.  I know that is much more the reasoning at AR.  And Greg would be happy I’m sure to find some concrete evidence that the Bimini Wall was some sort of “construction style that matches the Phoenician breakwaters.”  After all, such a discovery would be as revolutionary as the discovery of Troy.  It would take Atlantis out of the fables, and into the history books.  That’s a step I think we would all appreciate.  And I think that’s more or less what many of the “Plato’s Atlantis” supporters are hoping for.

Personally I’m in Caycee’s camp, and I’ll be happy when the whole damn continent rises from the fathoms of the Atlantic Plateau with an entire airfield of intact Virmani, LOL. Then I can say Ah ha…. You see!  LOL.  Of course I think that’s another day that deep-sea fishing will be a very poor idea, LOL.  Cool

Mike

Report Spam   Logged

Hermes Trismegistus:  “As above, so below.”
nikas
« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2009, 06:50:29 pm »

Someone stated that the Atlantic is the most geologically unstable place. Have you guys ever checked out the Area around Malta? The entire Sea floor is a giant Volcano. Islands pop up and suddenly disappear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Etna

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Gif/Italy/Maps/map_italy_volcanoes.gif

Do you know that Mount Etna, as a coincidence was born around 9,600 B.C There was another volcano that blew up right at the time that Atlantis disappeared? I got all the proof if you want. Do you also know that the only mountains that "DROP INTO THE SEA" are in Sicily?

Do you also know that the area around Malta IS called Pelages as one of the Italian islands is called Pelages (near Malta) Didn't Plato said INTO EKI PELAGES? In that sea?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelagie_Islands

I don't know, I am just saying.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: