Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 01:20:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

'MYSTERY QUEST'- Drs. Greg & Lora Little's Series On History Channel

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'MYSTERY QUEST'- Drs. Greg & Lora Little's Series On History Channel  (Read 13771 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: March 13, 2009, 10:54:25 am »

A “Little” Goes a Long Way

by Carrie Noble
POSTED: March 4, 2009
The Muncy Luminary

Once there was a university professor whose passion for unraveling ancient mysteries sent him to the far corners of the world. This description may call to mind the fictional Indiana Jones, but it also fits modern-day adventurer and scholar Dr. Gregory L. Little-a former pupil of Ashkar Elementary and Hughesville High School.

Although Little says that he was a "terrible student" during his high school days, he has managed to rack up an impressive list of achievements in the years since his 1967 graduation. His most recent claim to fame is his new book, The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Native American Mounds and Earthworks. The volume contains "descriptions of over 1000 ancient Indian sites." One of the seven Pennsylvania sites mentioned in the book is the Brock Mound, located near Halls Station.

How did a highly trained psychologist and counselor become so enamored of Native American cultures that he'd write several books on the subject? "Other than a few classes in college, my initial involvement in archaeology is dated to 1980, while writing what became my first book, titled The Archetype Experience. It triggered an intense interest in Native American beliefs. Later, an Aunt in Muncy told me that I was a direct descendant of a Seneca on my Grandfather's (Walter Little, of Muncy) side. As my time permitted I wrote books and many articles about Native American sites," Little says.

Little has written or co-authored over 40 books and countless articles, but he has not spent his life tethered to a keyboard. Over the years, he has taught at several universities, worked on a secret Navy research project, directed substance abuse treatment programs for prisons, and developed world-renowned criminal justice programs. His more unusual achievements include extensive underwater archaeological exploration and documentary film making.

Little has been featured on The History Channel, National Geographic Channel, Discovery, MSNBC, The Learning Channel, and Sci-Fi. The subjects of his works have been as diverse as his life experiences, ranging from ancient history to UFOs and the paranormal. Little's wife of 29 years, Dr. Lora Little, is his partner in both his archaeological and documentary work.

This June and July, the Littles will appear in two episodes of a new History Channel series entitled "History Quest." The subjects of the programs are the Bermuda Triangle and Atlantis. Greg's father, Paul, a Muncy High School graduate, may be seen in the June episode.

"I have several aunts and uncles and many, many, cousins in Hughesville, Muncy, and the surrounding area. My father, Paul Little is 83, and is living in Covington, TN. He was a Muncy graduate and was on the wrestling team. My brother Gerry taught at Hughesville. My grandparents were Walter Little of Muncy and Murray and Marie McBride of Hughesville," Little says.

Now a resident of Memphis, Tennessee, Little fondly recalls playing youth sports in the Hughesville area. "I played basketball and football and baseball in the American Legion and the West Branch semi-pro league for both Hughesville and Picture Rocks. I played countless times against (future pro baseball player) Eddie Ott, which is a huge memory for me. I was a pitcher and he was the one hitter who constantly murdered my pitches."

The mysteries of the perfect pitch may have stumped him in his school days, but Dr. Little seems determined not to let the archaeological riddles of our time elude him-even if he has to go to the ends of the earth.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:57:02 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: