Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:30:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 'Europe's oldest city' found in Cadiz
http://mathaba.net/rss/?x=566660

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Gnostics and Their Remains

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gnostics and Their Remains  (Read 4578 times)
Demiurge
Superhero Member

δημιουργός (dēmiourgós, latinized demiurgus δήμιος

« Reply #225 on: April 01, 2010, 11:20:14 am »

set in it; a buckle of gold with six gems of different kinds set in it, also twenty-four other buckles of gold of various patterns with little gems set in them; furthermore, forty-eight rings and hoops * of gold of different shapes, one of them in red hone, and various gems. A mouse in "chelidonia," a reddish quartz, is also specified by Suecius [which must be the next item], also three little animals in red bone; also two ear-drops in emerald or plasma with two jacinths; four small crosses with red and green stones; a pendant in the form of a bunch of grapes, made of purple stones; eight other little gold pendants of different sorts with gems set in them. The remains of a string of crepundia, the usual decoration of little children. [Maria had died at the age of four, being thus early betrothed to Honorius by his father the all-powerful Stilicho]. Three little gold crosses set with emeralds; a piece of a small fine necklace with certain green

p. 193

Report Spam   Logged

"And he is impious in his arrogance which is in him. For he said, 'I am God and there is no other God beside me,' for he is ignorant of his strength, the place from which he had come."- Yaltabaoth
Demiurge
Superhero Member

« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2010, 11:20:24 am »

stones strung upon it. Another little gold necklace with twenty-four beads of plasma. Another necklace with twelve heads of sapphire cut almond shape. Another little necklace of gold wire folded up (raccolto), but broken into four pieces. Two small buttons in gold; fourteen little gold-wire rings like those of a coat of mail; three more crosses with some emeralds, and a round gold plate 'like an Agnus Dei, * with these words upon it, STILICHO VIVAT. Two bracelets (maniche) of gold, set with certain red and green
Report Spam   Logged

"And he is impious in his arrogance which is in him. For he said, 'I am God and there is no other God beside me,' for he is ignorant of his strength, the place from which he had come."- Yaltabaoth
Demiurge
Superhero Member

« Reply #227 on: April 01, 2010, 11:20:33 am »

stones. Two large pins or stiletti for the hair, one in gold nearly a palm (nine inches) long inscribed with these words, DOMINVS HONORIVS DOMINA MARIA: the other in silver without inscription. There were likewise many fragments of enamels and other stones. Also silver nails [their heads] partly flat, partly in relief, which had fastened down a cover of silver upon a little coffer. Also a small plate of gold with these words written or rather scratched in Greek, MICHAEL • GABRIEL • RAPHAEL •
Report Spam   Logged

Demiurge
Superhero Member

« Reply #228 on: April 01, 2010, 11:20:47 am »

VRIEL •" [Laurentius Surius makes out forty gold rings set with precious stones, besides an emerald set in gold, engraved with a head supposed to be that of Honorius, which was valued at five hundred gold ducats]. We have particularly described all the above-named objects because Claudian, a poet of those times, declares that to the Empress Maria were sent similar rare presents from her betrothed; which perhaps may have formed the greatest part of these things. The words of the poet are--

"Jam munera nuptæ
Præparat, et pulchros Mariæ sed luce minores
Elicit ornatus: quidquid venerabilis olim
Livia, divorumque nurus gessere superbæ." (x. 10-13.)
Report Spam   Logged

Demiurge
Superhero Member

« Reply #229 on: April 01, 2010, 11:21:00 am »

This account enables us to form some notion of the treasures deposited to a greater or less degree in all the tombs of important personages, but more especially in those sumptuous structures raised to the memory of the dead throughout Asia Minor. The same fact sufficiently accounts for the furious onslaught made upon the tombs all over the Roman world, so soon as the change of religion had extinguished the old veneration for the Manes and the things consecrated to them--a profanation, and a

p. 194

Report Spam   Logged

Demiurge
Superhero Member

« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2010, 11:21:10 am »

destruction of works of art, which Gregorius Theologus, inspired by a taste and good feeling very surprising in a Byzantine saint, has attacked in one hundred and eighty-two very interesting and often poetical epigrams.

The same custom was kept up (although we can hardly suppose with any lingering belief in its ancient efficiency) by the Merovingian and Carlovingian successors to the wealth of the Western Empire. The learned Canon Chiflet has left in his interesting book, 'Anastasis Childerici Regis,' a complete history of tomb-treasures, serving to illustrate his account of
Report Spam   Logged

Demiurge
Superhero Member

« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2010, 11:21:20 am »

that of Childeric the Frank, accidentally found in the precincts of Tournay Cathedral, May 1654. The deposit, as far it could be recovered from the first finders, consisted of the arms of the king, the trappings of his horse (buried with him), all of gold encrusted with garnets, his gold tablets and writing-stylus, abundance of golden-bees originally stretched over his mantle (which gave that curious idea to Napoleon I.), a bull's head for a pendant (the primitive Frankish badge of sovereignty), and lastly, a viaticum in the shape of one hundred Byzantine solidi of contemporary emperors, and as many denarii of several and much earlier Cæsars. The canon,
Report Spam   Logged

Demiurge
Superhero Member

« Reply #232 on: April 01, 2010, 11:21:30 am »

by zealous perquisitions, succeeded in recovering all these articles, including the most important of all, the royal signet ring of massy gold, engraved with the image and superscription of Childeric, for his patron the Archduke Leopold, then governor of the Low Countries. At some subsequent period the most important of these relics passed into the collection of the Bibliothèque Impériale, where they continued in all due honour until the disastrous robbery of 1808, when it is supposed, with too much probability, that they were melted down along with the rest of the booty!

Report Spam   Logged

Demiurge
Superhero Member

« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2010, 11:22:04 am »

FIG. 9.

(*)

Report Spam   Logged

Demiurge
Superhero Member

« Reply #234 on: April 01, 2010, 11:22:21 am »

Footnotes
192:* Verghe: "verga," like the French verge, signifies a plain gold wire forming a ring having no head.

193:* A disk of stamped wax about three inches in diameter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://sacred-texts.com/gno/gar/gar28.htm
Report Spam   Logged

TWGilbert

« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2014, 07:16:25 am »

In regards to the particular excerpt from your postings contained below.................is it possible that the person with the name 'Damis" is perhaps "Thomas" (new Testament), as the names are essentially linguistic equivalents? Also is it perhaps possible that Apollonius of Tyanna is Apollo (A-Paul-o, Paul) of the new testament (Acts)? The Council of Nicea (324-325) under Constantine and his political hacks did some pretty amazing editing of the ancient manuscripts available to conjure up a state religion for Rome. Just curious>

"In our investigation of this particular subject it must never be forgotten that so long as philosophy was cultivated in Greece; (even from the times of the Saurian sage, inventor of the name), India was often regarded as the ultimate and purest source of the "True Wisdom," the knowledge of things divine. Even so late as Lucian's time, the middle of the second century, that author concludes his evidently true history of Antiphilus and Demetrius, by making the latter, a cynic philosopher by profession, resign all his property to his friend, and depart for India, there to end his life amongst the Brachmanes, ('Toxaris,' 34). In the same century the well-known pilgrimage of Apollonius of Tyana, and his deep conference with the Indian philosophers, as recorded by his companion Damis, go to prove the same thing; and although the meagre journal of the sage's travelling companion may have been largely supplemented and embellished by the fancy of his editor, Philostratus, * the main features of the narrative are doubtless authentic. The great thaumaturgist's proceedings, as there detailed, show how the apparent difficulty of such a pilgrimage vanishes upon a better knowledge of the circumstances. Apollonius presents himself, first of all, to the Parthian Ring, Bardanes (a "Philhellene" as he yet boasts himself upon his coinage), and as warns an admirer of Grecian savants as any of his Achamćnian predecessors,"
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: