Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 01:53:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

NGS TV - Atlantis & the Maya

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NGS TV - Atlantis & the Maya  (Read 4513 times)
George Erikson

« on: February 03, 2007, 10:34:44 am »

National Geographic Channel  "Is it Real? Atlantis" [TV-G]
Feb 6, @ 11AM PST, 1PM EST Check listings for MST, CST

Ever since Plato first described the existence of an island paradise populated by an advanced civilization, the myth of Atlantis has captured the human imagination. Join NGC on a quest that traverses the globe in search of the ever elusive lost civilization of Atlantis. The special features, among others, Prescott anthropologist George Erikson. Erikson, co-author of Atlantis In America: Navigators of the Ancient World, presents evidence that Atlantis existed in the Yucatan and  in submerged lands off Costa Rica, and the Bahaman, and Cuban coasts 11,500 years ago when sea levels were up to 400 feet lower than today. Erikson presents Plato's  argument that civilizations are periodically destroyed, often by the people who inhabit them, and only a few of the unlettered survive to eventually create new civilizations, unaware of the past. Erikson posits Ancient mariners, not Land Bridge wanderers, as the peoples who connected ancient civilizations.
www.AtlantisInAmerica.com
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 02:42:58 pm by George Erikson » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:44:22 am »

Hi George, and welcome to the forum.  I saw the Is it Real Special, and I have t say that at least that one was kmore objective and open-minded than the "Digging for the Truth special just was.  It seems that a lot of these shows are more interested in disproving Atlantis than looking at the actual evidence.
Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
George Erikson

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:49:30 pm »

Thank you, Desiree,

Yes, many documentaries are attempting to disprove or even embarrass Atlantis researchers (I know greg Little refused to be part of the NGS-TV special because he felt that would be the NGChannel's approach to his research). But the academics are even worse. They not only want to belittle the work of the likes of me, they want to tar and feather me, then burn me at the stake.  And Keay Davidson of the SF Chronicle called NG-TV "a journalistic ****" for even presenting me and my ideas. Ah well.
Report Spam   Logged
Aristotle
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 04:43:22 pm »

I wouldn't worry about the reception of your work if I were you, George.  While all evidence of ancient civilizations does not necessarily point to Atlantis, I believe that future generations will regard this as something of a Dark Ages of archaeology. Meaning, most aren't interested in an honest study of the past, but rather in protecting already antiquated ideals. 
Report Spam   Logged

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle
nikas
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 12:13:04 pm »

Thank you, Desiree,
Yes, many documentaries are attempting to disprove or even embarrass Atlantis researchers (I know greg Little refused to be part of the NGS-TV special because he felt that would be the NGChannel's approach to his research). But the academics are even worse. They not only want to belittle the work of the likes of me, they want to tar and feather me, then burn me at the stake.  And Keay Davidson of the SF Chronicle called NG-TV "a journalistic ****" for even presenting me and my ideas. Ah well.
Hi George,
I saw the documentary about your work in costa-rica (the one with the spheres.) Well to tell the truth I don’t agree with you on few things.
First of all documentaries don’t try to disprove, they try to exaggerate in order to sell. You do have to understand that they don’t care about you or your work. They care about the rates. They’re in advertisement business. So they try to exaggerate about your work and then find others who disagree with you and show their work too. It’s all about the conflict. It’s up to you to prove them wrong.
I have my own theory, the Maltese island. So far I had many serious contacts but none ridiculed my work. They didn’t have the resources to do that. Because my clues are taken from the source, Plato’s dialog. I wouldn’t mind going to National Geographic and face any of the critics or explorers. I guarantee you that no one will dare to ridicule me. They may find errors; yeah it happens, but not to make a foul out of me!
I saw this other program the other day that it was trying to show that the spheres were made by native people not more than 1,000 years ago. They did that by making one in just few weeks using primitive tools. They also said that carbon-dating showed that the spheres were les than 2,000 years old. Nevertheless, I wasn’t there to see those things, so they may as well lie. It kind of made sense.  Also in your documentary I didn’t see anybody making fun or embarrass you Erick. I’ve seen almost all of those documentaries about Atlantis. Many were ridiculed and embarrassed….by themselves.  For instance, Robert Sarmast. Being so sure about his wall, even challenging others (geologist!?!) he is an architect how can he do that? At the end, he himself claimed that it was natural. Tell me where Josh, the presente,r embarrassed him. I think he was very modest towards Sarmast.
However, I specialize in Ancient Greek and in particular the work of Plato. I would like to evaluate your clues that point at Atlantis being in Costa rica. I have done this to most Location theories out there. Some accept my critisicm some not. If you like I am more than happy to discuss this open to this forum.
Respect,
NIKAS
www.superatlantis.com
Report Spam   Logged
Danaus

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 07:43:53 am »

"At the end, he himself claimed that it was natural. Tell me where Josh, the presente,r embarrassed him. I think he was very modest towards Sarmast."
-- I am not sure this is accurate.  His scientist admitted it was natural.  I think Josh says something like... "So it turns out that this location is natural, but Robert Sarmast has not given up hope".  (implying that Sarmast would not accept the science from his own scientist)

It was a single statement, and it was factually correct.  I'm sure Sarmast did not LIKE this statement, though.
Report Spam   Logged
nikas
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 10:42:42 am »

"At the end, he himself claimed that it was natural. Tell me where Josh, the presente,r embarrassed him. I think he was very modest towards Sarmast."
-- I am not sure this is accurate.  His scientist admitted it was natural.  I think Josh says something like... "So it turns out that this location is natural, but Robert Sarmast has not given up hope".  (implying that Sarmast would not accept the science from his own scientist)

It was a single statement, and it was factually correct.  I'm sure Sarmast did not LIKE this statement, though.

CHECK OUT HIS FORUM, SARMASTS FORUM, ANDER THE HEADING; SECOND EXPEDITION. HE STATES THERE THAT THE WALL WAS NATURAL. ASK QOAIS SHE KNOWS BETTER.
Report Spam   Logged
Majeston

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 12:15:33 pm »

I found this unprofessional belittling backhand swipe at Bob Sarmast by Gerg Little

of the Edgar Cayce fund-ation a Little troubling.  Especially considering the source

of his own information,  his funding sources and the fact that his theories are unproven

not to mention that his locations under study defy even the wildest imaginations.

Bob Sarmast might have been mistaken that,  that particular wall was man-made

but Robert certainly has discovered Eden and most probably Atlantis.

Here's to your socks greg.

Atlantis Insider III—News and Views

2006 Hi-Tech Expedition At "Cyprus Atlantis" Concluded: Alleged "Stone Walls and Manmade Structures" Are A Huge Mud Pile—But It's Still Atlantis (Or Maybe Eden)

by Dr. Greg Little

Back in November 2004, Atlantis Insider related that Robert Sarmast claimed that he had absolute, indisputable proof that Atlantis was off coastal Cyprus in deep water. Sarmast, an architect, claimed that the Cyprus area almost "perfectly matches" what Plato stated about Atlantis, and in a 2004 press conference and interview claimed that he had found manmade structures, a stone wall, and canals at the site by using side-scan sonar. Of course, side-scan sonar doesn't find structures, it simply shows contours of the bottom.

According to the Cyprus Daily Mail, a French geologist and German physicist stated they had surveyed the area in 2003 (with several other scientists) and found that what Sarmast claimed to be the central hill of Atlantis was actually a well-known 100,000-year old volcanic ridge with mud slides ringing some sides of the ancient volcanoes. According to the Cyprus Daily Mail, Sarmast stated that the detractors must "prove their claims," but, of course, the scientific survey and results they cited was their proof. On the other hand, Sarmast's proof was said to be indisputable.

On The National Center's website, Amy Ridenour stated that Sarmast's images "allegedly show the ancient castle of the sunk city...as well as the remainders of a city's wall." She went on to say that Sarmast either did not know or concealed the fact that last summer the research ship Pelagia surveyed the area with several geologists and geophysicists. They were experts on the salt layers on the bottom of the sea there and they went to the area to research the condition of the known volcanic formations. These are called "mud diapirs" and Ridenour concluded that Sarmast's claim is a "baseless statement that Atlantis has been discovered."

Results From Sarmast's September 2006 Expedition

Perhaps anticipating the reaction from his financial supporters and backers when they view his highly-touted January 2007 documentary, Sarmast posted the results from his high-tech investigation of his Cyprus Atlantis site on October 27, 2006. He began by stating that the trip was filled with "massive problems" that "should make a wonderful documentary..." He added, "As far as the results go, we did not bring back the irrefutable proof that we were hoping for." Indeed, what he found utilizing sub-bottom profiling was "The structures/walls are natural and not man-made; however, they have been there for millions of years..." The results constitiuted a "big shock" to Sarmast and his group adding, "the results are conclusive." What material comprises the Cyprus Atlantis? Mud. It is a massive pile of mud (a mud diapir) perfectly matching the 2003 scientific survey results so ardently dismissed by Sarmast.

One might think that some retreat from the "Cyprus is Atlantis" position would be prudent, but Sarmast now claims that the mud pile was probably used as a natural fortress in ancient times. (Not a single embedded artifact or stone was reportedly identified in the mud pile by the sub-bottom profile). But Sarmast stresses that the near-Perfect match of the Cyprus mud-pile with Plato's description of Atlantis "could not have been coincidental." Of course, one has to alter or reinterpret many of the things Plato stated to create the near-perfect match. And since what he found seems to be in agreement with elements in the Urantia Book, Sarmast asserts that the mud-pile now represents Eden or Atlantis, or both. Summing up his findings, he wrote: "...our latest research in no way discounts the idea that Atlantis has been found." As to the coming documentary, he wrote that it'll "knock your socks off." I agree that some socks will probably be knocked off.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:20:18 pm by Majeston » Report Spam   Logged

"melody has power a whole world to transform."
Forever, music will remain the universal language of men, angels, and spirits.
Harmony is the speech of Havona.

http://mercy.urantia.org/papers/paper44.html
Shayla
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 04:02:13 pm »

Hi Majeston,

I actually don't find Greg Little's article belittling at all, it is simply a scientific analysis of an area that was highly toted at the time of it's discovery (2004), but later turned out to be a natural formation (as also pointed out in the Digging for the Truth episode with Josh Bernstein). I think the jury is still out on Cyprus, but I think the lesson of what happened there is to wait until something is proven scientifically before claiming it as a discovery. If I am missing some other scientific evidence Robert has, by all means, point it out.

Also what theories of Greg Little's are you talking about?  He hasn't claimed that Bimini or Cay Sal was Atlantis, that was a theory put forth by earlier members of A.R.E.

Also, from what I heard, he funds himself.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 04:52:37 pm »

ALL OF DRS. GREGORY LITTLE AND LORA LITTLE'S EXPEDITIONS ARE

DEFINITELY SPONSORED AND PAID FOR BY THEMSELVES - NOT BY

THE ASSOCIATION OF RESEARCH AND ENLIGHTENMENT.

THE ASSOCIATION OF RESEARCH AND ENLIGHTENMENT ASSERTS THAT

FACT ON ITS WEBSITE:  <www.are-cayce.com>

Thank you, Shayla

There are also two more expeditions out right now, besides the
Little's, from the ARE-Cayce Association.  I am not sure who is
sponsoring those two.  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:02:19 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Mark of Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 05:38:59 pm »

Hi Majeston ,
                     wow ,I am really interested that you seem to believe that Sarmast did find something. Eden ?  ,Atlantis?

It's just that I havent seen any reason to take him seriously yet and his site doesn't have much either. Is it just me? or is there something I'm missing ?     

http://www.discoveryofatlantis.com/index.html

Oh ,is anyone else tired of ancient history shows where it seems the majority of the content is  just cheesy looking reenactments.?
Report Spam   Logged
nikas
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 05:50:42 pm »

Of course he discovered.....oil. He was sponsored by an oil research company. He did the sub bottom profile. Now as soon as he finished that Cyprus closed the deal with that company....No one is going to sponsor him anymore. He is a done deal. Do not even spend time in talking about Sarmast.

I don’t see the donation sign on his web site anymore. Doesn’t that say something??
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:53:02 pm by nikas » Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 05:55:35 pm »

I enjoyed Dr. Little's article and found it to be informative and well-researched.  I wish Sarmast well in whatever he's looking for, but you have to admit his claims are rather vaporous.
Report Spam   Logged
Majeston

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 08:36:13 pm »

My impressions are that these people are Hucksters.

Old fashioned Snake-Oil salesmen;  Charlatans,  making a grand living

off of the ignorant. 

Selling astrology readings;  internet sound-bites;  dream interpretation,  vauous vapor.

They have not discovered anything and nothing Cayce ever said

has been proven concrete.  I think I read once that he diagnosed someones disease.

Even a broken clock tells the correct time at least once a day and blind

squirrels occasionally find a nut. 

Smiley

Simply take a look at the website,  it's like a nightmare from Disneyland.  The

whole thing is designed to en lighten you of as much money as possible in the shortest amount of time.

ARE simply appears to be the vehicle;  the cash cow for the greedy and wise to prey upon the ignorant.

Edgar Cayce’s grandson and President, the Edgar Cayce Foundation
Click here to read about the new 2007 Pension Protection Act.

Your gift to A.R.E. will  help provide meaningful and life-transforming insights to people from all walks of life and spiritual traditions. Your                     contributions make this work possible, and there is so much more we want to do! Join us in helping to "make the world a better place because you have lived in it." (Edgar  Cayce Reading #5392-1)

Click here to  read more about how your donations help the work of A.R.E.

I   would like to Give Now

Your gift will help the work of the A.R.E.

I would like to  Give  for the Future

Help the legacy of Edgar Cayce readings continue into the future

I would like to Give in Loving Memory of a Relative or Friend

75th    Anniversary Endowment Fund - Another Way to Ensure the  Future of the Cayce Legacy
                                                        Click here to learn more                                                   

Learn     About  Golden  Circle Recognition Levels

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Huh Huh Huh Huh

and That was only part of page 1

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:57:18 pm by Majeston » Report Spam   Logged

"melody has power a whole world to transform."
Forever, music will remain the universal language of men, angels, and spirits.
Harmony is the speech of Havona.

http://mercy.urantia.org/papers/paper44.html
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 09:02:51 pm »

Greg and Lora are self-funded.  The Cayce readings are the starting point for all the research, sure, but I have had many, many detailed conversations with Greg about his work and the archaeological method he employs is very sound.

Like Shayla said, they are not claiming to have found Atlantis, but an ancient maritime culture that existed around 3000 bc. The anchors that have been found in the Bimini/Cay Sal region certainly bear that out.

I think it's time that the archaeological community gave Greg and Lora their due:  they are the only ones currently looking for Atlantis in the Atlantic. And they are the only ones that have ever found anything. They investigate all their theories, they don't just write books about them and ask for money. They also don't claim to have found something unless it is tested and examined first by experts, and they also deliberately stay away from making fabulous claims.

As for Edgar Cayce, hey, believe what you want, but his accuracy is well-documented.  I think it was something like 86%.

I sure wish Robert Sarmast well, but so far there has been nothing to back up his claims.  I wish there was!  Even if it wasn't really Atlantis, I think that proof of finding a civilization that deep in the Mediterranean would have been really exciting, too.

Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: