Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 12:47:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plato's Atlantis: Fact, Fiction or Prophecy?
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CarolAnn_Bailey-Lloyd
http://www.underwaterarchaeology.com/atlantis-2.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Ancient War of the Gods

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ancient War of the Gods  (Read 9404 times)
Wind

« on: February 09, 2009, 10:02:21 pm »

The Ancient War of the Gods!

In just about every culture and mythology we can find mention of this ancient war of the Gods.   In Greek myth, the Olympians and the Titans, in Hindu and Buddhist myth the Asura and the Devas, in Indo-Iranian they’re known as the Ahuras and Daevas.
On every continent we find basically the same legend, opposing factions of Gods or beings who seemed like Gods fighting each other for supremacy and rule over earth.

I believe that these stories are grounded in fact and are based on an actual war that took place on earth thousands of years ago, a war that ended in catastrophe, a catastrophe that almost lead to the extinction of humanity.
This is the same war that Plato mentions in the Timaeus, and even though the Athenians succeeded in pushing the Atlanteans back they were still destroyed not long after by a deluge, a deluge that I’m am beginning to believe was somehow manmade.
Proof of this I believe can be found in the ancient text’s and legends from around the world.   Remember! In all the legends of the great flood, it was God or the Gods who caused it to happen, if in fact these Gods weren’t really Gods but advanced humans then somehow they almost caused the extinction of the human race.

In my following posts I will provide what research I have compiled on this subject, and hopefully make a firm foundation on which to build my argument.
Once again I welcome comments and ideas, and if there is already a thread on this somewhere else I apologize in advance.  Smiley

Wind
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wind

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:07:44 pm »

I have based much of my theories and research in this area on an article entitled Pre-Platonic Writings Pertinent to Atlantis by R. Cedric Leonard.   I don’t know if the article has been posted here or not, it is rather long so I won’t post it, however if any are interested in reading it here’s the link for it.  www.atlantisquest.com/Writings.html

Now before I begin I would like to provide a chart of  these two opposing groups, this chart lists the different names for the groups and from where their legend comes from.

Those Involved in the Ancient War

Group 1                Group2            From   
Atlantis                Athens            Plato   
Titans                  Olympian         Greek   
Asuras                  Devas            Hindu   
Asuras                  Sakra            Buddhist    
Ahuras                  Daevas         Indo-Iranian   
Osiris (AKA Asar)    Set               Egypt   These were individuals
Aesir                    Vanir              Norse   

If you find other groups that need to be added to the list, or find that I’ve made an error be sure to let me know.

Thanks
Wind
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:11:54 pm by Wind » Report Spam   Logged
Wind

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:13:55 pm »

My chart sure looked a lot nicer on Microsoft works Cry   Oh well this will have to do Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Wind

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:18:32 pm »

Now I would like to start by briefly going over each legend  and make a comparison between them.   First I’ll start with Plato’s account of the war between Atlantis and Athens, which is found in the Timaeus.

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean; for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent. Now in this island of Atlantis there was a great and wonderful empire which had rule over the whole island and several others, and over parts of the continent, and, furthermore, the men of Atlantis had subjected the parts of Libya within the columns of Heracles as far as Egypt, and of Europe as far as Tyrrhenia. This vast power, gathered into one, endeavoured to subdue at a blow our country and yours and the whole of the region within the straits; and then, Solon, your country shone forth, in the excellence of her virtue and strength, among all mankind. She was pre-eminent in courage and military skill, and was the leader of the Hellenes. And when the rest fell off from her, being compelled to stand alone, after having undergone the very extremity of danger, she defeated and triumphed over the invaders, and preserved from slavery those who were not yet subjugated, and generously liberated all the rest of us who dwell within the pillars. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea. For which reason the sea in those parts is impassable and impenetrable, because there is a shoal of mud in the way; and this was caused by the subsidence of the island.

Everyone here has probably read this a thousand times but it is Pertinent to this discussion.
Report Spam   Logged
Wind

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:22:17 pm »

Next is the account of the Titans and Olympians, which is found in Hesiod’s Theogony.

Then Zeus no longer held back his might; but straight his heart was filled with fury and he showed forth all his strength. From Heaven and from Olympus  he came immediately, hurling his lightning: the bolts flew thick and fast from his strong hand together with thunder and lightning, whirling an awesome flame. The life-giving earth crashed around in burning, and the vast wood crackled loud with fire all about.  All the land seethed, and Ocean's streams and the unfruitful sea. The hot vapor lapped round the earthborn Titans: flame unspeakable rose to the bright upper air: the flashing glare of the thunderstone and lightning blinded their eyes for all that they were strong.  Astounding heat seized Chaos: and to see with eyes and to hear the sound with ears it seemed even as if Earth and wide Heaven above came together; for such a mighty crash would have arisen if Earth were being hurled to ruin, and Heaven from on high were hurling her down;  so great a crash was there while the gods were meeting together in strife. Also the winds brought rumbling earthquake and duststorm, thunder and lightning and the lurid thunderbolt, which are the shafts of great Zeus, and carried the clangor and the war cry into the midst of the two hosts. A horrible uproar  of terrible strife arose: mighty deeds were shown and the battle inclined. But until then, they kept at one another and fought continually in cruel war. And amongst the foremost Cottus and Briareos and Gyes insatiate for war  raised fierce fighting: three hundred rocks, one upon another, they launched from their strong hands and overshadowed the Titans with their missiles, and hurled them beneath the wide-pathed earth, and bound them in bitter chains when they had conquered them by their strength for all their great spirit, as far beneath the earth as heaven is above earth; for so far is it from earth to Tartarus.

As I read this I was reminded of another legend from the Miao people, it's also one of the great flood legends.

From the Miao People

Who came to the bad disposition,
To send fire and burn the hill?
Who came to the bad disposition,
To send water and destroy the earth?
I who sing don't know.
Zie did. Zie was of bad disposition,
Zie sent fire and burned the hill;
Thunder did. Thunder was of bad disposition,
Thunder sent water and destroyed the earth.
Why don't you know?

This last legend in a way connects the Timaeus and the Theogony (Even though I think it's chinese Huh)

Report Spam   Logged
Wind

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:04:26 pm »

The next legend is taken from the Mahabharata, but first I would like to quote an article from Nexus magazine entitled The Evidence for Ancient Atomic Warfare.

The ancient Indian epics describe a series of
horrific wars - wars which could have been fought between
ancient India and Atlantis, or perhaps a third party in the
Gobi region of western China. The Mahabharata and the
Drona Parva speak of the war and of the weapons used: great
fireballs that could destroy a whole city; "Kapila's
Glance", which could burn 50,000 men to ashes in seconds;
and flying spears that could ruin whole "cities full of
forts".

This seems to be the same story yet again.

Now for the actual account.

"Gurkha, flying a swift and powerful vimana ( hurled a single projectile charged with the power of the Universe. An incandescent column of smoke and flame, as bright as ten thousand suns, rose with all its splendor. It was an unknown weapon, an iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death, which reduced to ashes the entire race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas. The corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. Hair and nails fell out; Pottery broke without apparent cause, and the birds turned white. ...After a few hours all foodstuffs were infected... ...to escape from this fire the soldiers threw themselves in streams to wash themselves and their equipment."

The Ramayana also speaks of this, but I seem to have misplaced that article so I’ll have to post it later.

What I’m trying to get at is the fact that this ancient war is mentioned all over the globe, in ancient myths and legends.   This leads me to believe that there has to be something to it, even though the stories are slightly different and molded around mystical and cultural beliefs, the event is real, there was a war that was catastrophic, there seems to be no doubt about that. 

Report Spam   Logged
Volkaitis
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:30:54 am »

Nice work.  Yes, there are many tales for an ancient war fought all over the globe, but I believe the technology in Plato's account is far behind that described as the weapons of war in the Mahabharata and the Ramayana. Plato decribes Bronze Age weaponry while I believe the Indian epics speak of an ancient nuclear war.  Any explanation for this?
Report Spam   Logged
Wind

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:58:07 am »

I can think of a couple possible explanations and they both deal with when the accounts were written, The Mahabharata and Ramayana are far older than the Timaeus and Critias and were written perhaps shortly after the event took place. (The Mahabharata was written in the 6th millennium, and some new findings say that it’s even older than that)
  If Plato’s account is accurate then it itself says that it was written over 9000 years after the events took place. (Timaeus and Critias where written around 360 BC)
I would guess that when Plato told the story he was using terms and technology of his own time, hence the swords and shields.   Similarly Hesiod used magical and mystical terms to describe the war between the Titans and Olympians, like Zeus’s thunderbolts.
Also over long periods of time details do disappear, However the underlying story will survive if it’s memorable enough. I believe that is indeed what has happened here.

Wind

Report Spam   Logged
Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 05:51:56 am »

Weren't the gods the elements? it seems like a "war" of numerous natural causes to me. interesting how they all seem to really speak of the same events...
Report Spam   Logged

Wind

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 03:18:38 pm »

You are right Mario,  Empedocles did describe the elements as being Gods, but that was mainly because of what each element represented.   I’ll use Zeus for an example again, Zeus used thunder bolts, Empedocles associates this with the element fire. Today I’d associate a missile with the element fire.

The following quote is taken from an article entitled The Ancient Greek Esoteric Doctrine of the Elements by John Opsopaus.   The article in its entirety can be found at. www.cs.utk.edu/~Mclennan/BA/AGEDE/Intro.html (Another good read by the way.)

From the standpoint of Jung's psychology, the Elements (like the Gods) are archetypes; because they are structures in the collective unconscious, they are universal (present in all people). As archetypes, they are beyond complete analysis; they can be "circumscribed but not described"; ultimately they must be experienced to be understood

The Gods and elements here are described as archetypes they’re modeled after something. (Dictionary definition of archetype. a typical, ideal, or classic example of something.) John Opsopaus uses this quote to explain how Empedocles viewed the elements.

From what I’m gathering Empedocles was using the Gods and their abilities to describe the elements, in fact from the above article it sounds like he was an Alchemist.  Modern Wiccans and Pagans do the same thing, they attribute certain elements to their Gods and Goddesses. I bet that what Empedocles meant, was that each specific element came from a specific God. (They did believe in the mystical at that time!)

it seems like a "war" of numerous natural causes to me

I would agree with you on this Mario if it hadn’t been for the Mahabharata account, where it describes what could only be the effects of a nuclear explosion. The same is true with the Ramayana account.

Wind
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:22:27 pm by Wind » Report Spam   Logged
Horus

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 05:40:45 pm »

I believe that these stories are grounded in fact and are based on an actual war that took place on earth thousands of years ago, a war that ended in catastrophe, a catastrophe that almost lead to the extinction of humanity.
This is the same war that Plato mentions in the Timaeus, and even though the Athenians succeeded in pushing the Atlanteans back they were still destroyed not long after by a deluge, a deluge that I’m am beginning to believe was somehow manmade.

Hello Wind,

An interesting thread you have going but I'm going to have to disagree with the idea that a war caused the cataclysm that befell the earth 12,000 years ago.

It was either the geophysical violence of a natural, axial poleshift and the subsequent melting of the polar icecaps in their new positions, or simply the fallout from rapid deglaciation and rising sea levels during the Younger Dryas which triggered an extraordinary amount of volcanism then.

The current trend of  "global warming" which some people think is from man-made pollution is actually part of larger cosmic cycle because scientists have determined that the entire heliosphere is heating up! Are humans responsible for the global warming affecting the rest of the planets in the solar system too? Nooo! Mother Nature is fully capable of bringing down devastation upon humanity without any help. Perhaps this is why it was deified in most cultures and perhaps that is what the "war of the gods" is really about!

By the way, I believe that the war in Egypt was between Set and Horus (Heru) the Avenger who was avenging the death of his father Osiris betrayed and murdered by Uncle Set. 
~H
Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
Wind

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 08:28:27 pm »

I appreciate your opinion and insight Horus, I’m not here to force my view upon anyone, ( I don’t believe that you were insinuating that, because I believe you to be a good person. Smiley)   I’m simply sharing my research, and I’ve got a lot more to share. Shocked    I can assure you that I will not completely discard your research either, I will consider it.

Thank you
Wind
Report Spam   Logged
Wind

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:59:39 pm »

By the way, I believe that the war in Egypt was between Set and Horus (Heru) the Avenger who was avenging the death of his father Osiris betrayed and murdered by Uncle Set.

I stand Corrected Horus you’re right on this one. The following is taken from the Legend of Osiris.

Without Osiris, Set believed he would sit on the throne of the gods for all time. Yet on his island, Horus, the son of Osiris and Isis, grew to manhood and strength. Set sent many serpents and demons to kill Horus, but he defeated them. When he was ready, his mother Isis gave him great magic to use against Set, and Thoth gave him a magic knife.
Horus sought out Set and challenged him for the throne. Set and Horus fought for many days, but in the end Horus defeated Set and castrated him. But Horus, merciful Horus, would not kill Set, for to spill the blood of his uncle would make him no better than he. Set maintained his claim to the throne, and Horus lay claim himself as the son of Osiris. The gods began to fight amongst another, those who supported Horus and those who supported Set. Banebdjetet leaped into the middle and demanded that the gods end this struggle peacefully or Maat would be imbalanced further. He told the gods to seek the council of Neith. Neith, warlike though wise in council, told them that Horus was the rightful heir to the throne. Horus cast Set into the darkness where he lives to this day.

Now that I’ve read this again I believe that I was quoting the wrong Egyptian legend, it wasn’t the war between Horus and Set that I was thinking of, It was the war between Re and Mankind mentioned in the Book of the Heavenly Cow.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 09:04:04 pm »

Wind:

EVIDENCE OF ATOMIC WARFARE

From Post #3:

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1760.0.html

ANCIENT FLYING MACHINE SECTION (Vimanas)

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/board,173.0.html

The Mahabharata and the Ramayana are here too:

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/board,207.0.html

I strongly lean on an atomic war/accident causing the demise of Atlantis......
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 06:20:42 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Wind

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 09:05:48 pm »

The following is taken from the Book of the Heavenly (Or Celestial) Cow and can be found in it’s entirety at www.touregypt.net/featurestories/celestrialcow.htm

When mankind's rebellion took place, the sun god first consulted with the primeval deities, including Shu, Tefnut and Geb but particularly the goddess Nun and Hathor in the Great House in Heliopolis. These gods were to come to Re in secrecy, as not to alert mankind about their meeting. Re then addressing Nu, the father of the first-born gods, told him to give heed to what men were doing, for they whom he had created were murmuring against him. And he said " Tell me what you would do. Consider the matter, invent a plan for me, and I will not slay them until I have heard what you shall say concerning this thing." Nu replied, " You O my son Ra, are greater than the god who made You (i.e. Nu himself), you are the king of those who were created with you, your throne is established, and the fear of you is great, Let shine Eye (Hathor) attack those who blaspheme you. " And Re said, " Lo, they have fled to the mountains for their hearts are afraid because of what they have said." The gods replied, " Let shine Eye go forth and destroy those who blasphemed you, for no eye can resist shine when it goes forth in the form of Hathor."
Afterwards, Hathor was sent to inflict her punishment. For three nights the goddess Hathor-Sekhmet waded about in the blood of men, the slaughter beginning at Hensu (Herakleopolis Magna).. But the sun god took pity on those humans who were left. He saved  them by causing Hathor to become drunk on blood red beer.
Afterwards, the sun god, Re, withdrew to the sky on the back of the celestial cow who is the Goddess Nut transformed.

There That’s better, I guess I should change my chart, or cross out the other and add to it. Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: