Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 12:19:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Ancient War of the Gods

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ancient War of the Gods  (Read 10423 times)
Wind

« on: February 10, 2009, 08:59:39 pm »

By the way, I believe that the war in Egypt was between Set and Horus (Heru) the Avenger who was avenging the death of his father Osiris betrayed and murdered by Uncle Set.

I stand Corrected Horus you’re right on this one. The following is taken from the Legend of Osiris.

Without Osiris, Set believed he would sit on the throne of the gods for all time. Yet on his island, Horus, the son of Osiris and Isis, grew to manhood and strength. Set sent many serpents and demons to kill Horus, but he defeated them. When he was ready, his mother Isis gave him great magic to use against Set, and Thoth gave him a magic knife.
Horus sought out Set and challenged him for the throne. Set and Horus fought for many days, but in the end Horus defeated Set and castrated him. But Horus, merciful Horus, would not kill Set, for to spill the blood of his uncle would make him no better than he. Set maintained his claim to the throne, and Horus lay claim himself as the son of Osiris. The gods began to fight amongst another, those who supported Horus and those who supported Set. Banebdjetet leaped into the middle and demanded that the gods end this struggle peacefully or Maat would be imbalanced further. He told the gods to seek the council of Neith. Neith, warlike though wise in council, told them that Horus was the rightful heir to the throne. Horus cast Set into the darkness where he lives to this day.

Now that I’ve read this again I believe that I was quoting the wrong Egyptian legend, it wasn’t the war between Horus and Set that I was thinking of, It was the war between Re and Mankind mentioned in the Book of the Heavenly Cow.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: