Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 03:53:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Irish Druids And Old Irish Religions

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irish Druids And Old Irish Religions  (Read 6968 times)
Crissy Herrell
Superhero Member

« Reply #270 on: February 22, 2009, 12:56:58 am »

So with Ireland itself; it was the western Arran-more Isle of the Bay of Galway, from which the quick-sighted, upon a fine day, could discern Hy-Bræfailth, or the Enchanted Isle. Moore alludes to the tradition--

"And as echo far off, thro' the vale my sad orison rolls,
I think, O my love, 'tis thy voice from the Kingdom of Souls."

The Spanish Bay of Souls lies west of Cape Finisterre. Ogygia was thought by Plutarch five days' sail west of Brittia. The ancient Egyptian ritual spoke of the Happy West. The home of Calypso was in the west. Bailly, writing to Voltaire, in 1778, said, "The giant Gyges (hundred-handed) inhabited the island of Atlantis, which is the same as Ogygia." The Bretons had their western Ifern, which was the Flaitheas, or Isle of Heroes, the Welsh Gwynvyd. Vinland the Good was westward, as were the Fortunate Isles. Spanish tales tells of seven cities below the western ocean, where still dwell Christians who fled from the Moors and some of whom return after hundreds of years. America was probably visited by eastern voyagers long before Columbus knew it.

Lalla Rookh of Moore has similar references, as--

"I know where the Isles of Perfume are,
Many a fathom down in the sea,
To the south of sun-bright Araby."

Mythical allegory may give meaning to these stories.

In the Transactions of the Ossian Society is the following sketch of the Land of Youth, by Bryan O'Looney--

"This Elysium is supposed to be divided into different states and provinces, each governed by its own king or ruler. It is all peace, tranquillity, and happiness. The Land of Life is supposed to give perpetual life to the liberated spirits of the just. They are supposed to be located somewhere about the sun's setting point, and have means of approach, chiefly through the seas, lakes, and

p. 296

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: