Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 05:55:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Lost City Expedition

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost City Expedition  (Read 702 times)
Georgium Sidus

« on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:51 pm »

Lost City Expedition
 Summary (Apr 18, 2003): During their 32 day expedition, 24 scientists onboard a research vessel, the Atlantis, will dive deep into the North Atlantic and explore active limestone chimneys that rise eighteen stories above the seafloor. The team will sample and grow microorganisms reminiscent of early life on Earth, and use a free swimming robot to create a high resolution map of how life may flourish just living off the 'rocky' heat of a chemical reaction.

Display Options:               
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lost City Expedition:
Life from Rocky Reaction
based on University of Washington Oceanography release

The bizarre hydrothermal vent field discovered a little more than two years ago surprised scientists not only with vents that are the tallest ever seen --the one that's 18 stories dwarfs most vents at other sites by at least 100 feet -- but also because the fluids forming these vents are heated by seawater reacting with million-year-old mantle rocks, not by young volcanism.

The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is one of the earth's largest undersea mountain ranges at a length of nearly 6,200 miles. The dots represent active hydrothermal sites.
Credit: NASA

The field is unlike any seen before, according to chief scientist Deborah Kelley, a University of Washington associate professor of oceanography, and co-chief scientist Jeff Karson, a Duke University professor of earth and ocean sciences. Both have visited fields of black-smoker hydrothermal vents that scientists have been studying since the 1970s.

The remarkable Lost City hydrothermal vent field, so named partly because it sits on a seafloor mountain named the Atlantis Massif, was discovered in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean about 1,500 miles off the East Coast of the United States during an expedition that wasn't even looking for hydrothermal vents.

"Perhaps a good analogy," explains Kelley, "may be to imagine flying a small plane by radar in the dark through a redwood forest with no map and no easy way to locate yourself. If you fly down near the tree trunks it is very difficult to see the rest of the grove, but if you fly high, the individual trees can be spotted by radar. In a very similar way, this is the method we used for exploring the Lost City."

Now the two scientists who were the first to travel in a submersible to the field after its serendipitous discovery Dec. 4, 2000, are leading a National Science Foundation-funded expedition to map and further investigate the field.

A Web site launched today will follow the 24 scientists onboard an exploration vessel, the Atlantis, during their 32-day expedition that starts April 21.
Erupting Life, But Not Volcanic
The Lost City is distinctive in part because the mighty 180-foot vent at the site, which scientists named Poseidon, is so much larger than previously studied black-smoker vents that mostly reach 80 feet or less. The tallest black-smoker chimney ever seen was a 135-foot vent off the coast of Washington (which toppled in recent years).

In contrast to black-smoker vents that are a darkly mottled mix of sulfide minerals, Lost City vents are nearly 100 percent carbonate, the same material as limestone in caves, and range in color from a beautiful clean white to cream or gray.

The differences are because hydrothermal venting --a process in which water circulates into the seafloor, gaining heat and chemicals until there is enough heat for the fluids to vent back into the ocean -- doesn't appear connected to volcanic activity and magma chambers. This is unlike most systems at mid-ocean ridge spreading centers. That's where very young seafloor is created often dramatically during volcanic eruptions and vented water can be as hot as 700 F.

A fast spreading center will realign every 5-10 years, while more rare realignments like at Poseidon happen only once every 5,000 to 20,000 years.

Lost City is nine miles from the nearest spreading center and sits on 1.5 million-year-old crust. Heat generated by chemical changes in the rocks appears to drive venting: seawater permeates deeply into the fractured surface of the mantle rocks where it transforms the mineral olivine into a new mineral, serpentine. The heat is not as great as that at volcanically active sites but is enough to power hydrothermal circulation and produce vent fluids of 105 to 170 F.
Life At Home in Lost City
Lost City vent fluids support a community of microorganisms believed to live off the gases methane and hydrogen, both byproducts of serpentinization. This leads Kelley, Karson and others to speculate that life on this planet may have started in just such an environment, particularly since so much more mantle rock was exposed to seawater early in Earth's history. And the same could be happening on other worlds.

University of Washington oceanographer Deborah Kelley contrasts the white porous (almost wasp-nest-like) texture of a sample from the Lost City's carbonate chimneys with a sample from the sulfide chimneys studied since the 1970s.
Credit: University of Washington

"The Lost City carbonate vents host diverse and very dense microbial communities," notes Kelley. "The organisms form thick biofilms that cover the mineral surfaces. We believe that these systems will host extensive microbial communities that may include methane- and hydrogen-oxidizing bacteria."

It is believed that a third of the Earth's total biomass resides hundreds of meters below the oceans. Cell densities as high as a billion cells per cubic centimeter have been estimated.

"Unfortunately, instruments are not yet developed to characterize microbial populations," says Kelley, although culturing samples back in the lab has shown heat-loving microorganisms adapted to thrive in the thermophilic (50-70 C) and mesophilic (25 C) temperature ranges. "The long term goal is to develop seafloor observatory sites that will allow long term investigation of how volcanoes support life on the seafloor, and how submarine earthquakes affect the output of gases from the seafloor and microbial life. These are the types of questions that are of planetary scope . Perhaps learning how to examine such questions will provide useful guides to exploration of other planets."
What's Next
The team leaves Barbados April 21 on board the Atlantis, operated by Woods Hole. It takes five days to reach the ocean above Lost City where researchers will use the submersible Alvin and an unmanned Autonomous Benthic Explorer.

Among those on the expedition will be lead pilot Pat Hickey, who took Kelley and Karson in the Alvin to see Lost City the day after it was first spotted during routine surveying using an unmanned, remotely operated vehicle. There was time for just a single dive before the expedition ended and bad weather began so scientists can only say the field is 300 feet by perhaps 1,700 feet and has roughly 30 vent structures. Since then the field has been visited by a U.S. film crew, which conducted no science, and a Russian group, which did limited sampling.

Work this month and next includes studying the waters above the field looking for clues to help find other Lost City fields and visiting a neighboring mountain that looks promising. Researchers also will grow and examine microorganisms recovered from the chimneys.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The project includes scientists, engineers and students from the University of Washington, Duke University, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Switzerland's Institute for Mineralogy and Petrology and Japan's National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology. Collaborators include: Jeff Karson, Duke University, Co-PI and diver during the discovery; Matt Schrenk (an astrobiology graduate student at the UW School of Oceanography); P.J. Cimino (a NASA Space grant undergraduate); and John Baross, also a faculty member in astrobiology and oceanography. 

http://www.astrobio.net/news/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=434&theme=Printer
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:03:14 pm by Georgium Sidus » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 02:34:40 pm »

I wonder when the oceans WERE MORE SHALLOW THAN TODAY could fossile " Black smokers " be traced both on Land and Sea ?

Could I bother you to give a Comment on my " Bluehue's" #3-Rules of THUMB" at the Bottom of this Posting ?  THANK you ! dd 16-th April -2009
Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
Horus

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:24:00 pm »

Could I bother you to give a Comment on my " Bluehue's" #3-Rules of THUMB" at the Bottom of this Posting ? 

Could you "bother" everyone in every thread in the forum? 
Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 01:11:21 pm »

LOOK, HORACE

If the Mountain( = Media.) doesn't come to Mohammed.
Mohammed has to come to the Mountain( is every other TOPIC !/Thread.) !

ARE WE HERE to look for Atlantis proper, I mean apart from divergent theories,
The original Atlantis location has been blurred by unrecognized mistranslations
 and if we found them are we not oblidged to "bother" the other theory atlantologists? about it
or just keep silent because the other Theorists react as if they are offended by your discovery?

FORGIVE me brother but I have a bad memory

what was again the essence of YOUR personal Theory ?
I suppose You have gotten enough information about mine I should say ?
[/b]

Could I bother you to give a Comment on my " Bluehue's" #3-Rules of THUMB" at the Bottom of this Posting ? 

Could you "bother" everyone in every thread in the forum? 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:14:26 pm by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

Horus

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:27:08 pm »

The original Atlantis location has been blurred by unrecognized mistranslations
 and if we found them are we not oblidged to "bother" the other theory atlantologists? about it
or just keep silent because the other Theorists react as if they are offended by your discovery?

They are not offended by your "discovery", just your manners --or lack thereof.  The only thing you are "obliged" to do is gather ARCHEOLOGICAL proof for your claims which are empty without it.  

Your incessant efforts to "correct" others about Plato and Atlantis location continue to be unheeded -haven't you ever wondered why this is so?  Instead of finding fault with everyone else and blaming them or insulting them, consider the idea that this has something to do with you, and that you need to change your approach.

I suppose You have gotten enough information about mine I should say ?

Much, much more than enough.  Too much.  
Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 01:49:48 pm »

Dear.......... HORUS,

Unpollitnes is not a valiable argument  in research matters
 if you stop a conversation, to hide your ignorance about my research

my reply is that:

Atlantis in America ( or SPAIN,)is a HOAX=Story continued by naiive amateur historians !

I recall that I mentioned my Alzheimer's Disease,
 would you like to refresh my poor memory about the essence of your Theory
now that you seem to have gotten your belly full with the essence of My Theory ?

IF you don't want to discuss my theory and at the same time leave out
to inform me about your view on your own theory than does this mean that you are offended?
because I asked for your opinion to restate your theory that you seem to be sufficiently well known  to others?

Don't You want your theory to be discussed too ?
aren't all threads open to any inquisitive minds?

ABOUT
Archaeological proof how do you proposeto find it
supposedly  burried under 150 meters of Mudriver sediment?

So fatr no evidence has been found by the evidence seekers
and they shun comminlogic from the old original Text !

OCEAN in PLATO's Atlantic Satire/ Legend means " RIVER " not SEA
Thus the Western OCEAN is the Red Sea
because the World that this OCEAN is supposed to have enclosed was
NOT the Global world but just a tiny fraction named " ARABY "

I have been EXPLAINING AT LENGTH why the OCEAN
was originally thus truly the RED- Sea, but
People reject that notion without bothering to discuss why they reject that theory that.
or blame it opn Unpollitnes.

on the other hand some naiiv minded amateur historians still think that
" America " was the original Atlantis ( or SPAIN.) are you one of them ?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 02:05:18 pm by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

Horus

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 11:20:08 am »

I wasn't addressing your theory but I will alittle bit below.  I was addressing BlueHue the human being who has problems relating to other people.  That's where things have to start.  

I didn't know that, BlueHue...and (if this is true) it helps to explain a lot about your behavior.  Do try to be nicer to other people and more will engage you on your ideas.

I have discussed my views here many times - and directly to you but you evidently dont remembwr because of your senility.  It isn't "my" theory, BTW.  I hold the same view that the A.R.E. does and a host of other people that Atlantis was an island empire that included areas submerged around the Carribbean, Azores, and Canaries.  

Yes, I know that you think we are following "false leads" from "latin transcription errors", HOWEVER, we are scientifically  testing the ideas presented in the more conventional, popular version of the Timaeus and Critias against reality to determine if the information is true. Now if these conventional accounts are "false" as you say, then logically we shouldn't find any underwater ruins in the Atlantic Ocean nor any other correspondences to Plato there at all.... but we have! And because we have, it PROVES that the conventional account (which you think is false) is actually the CORRECT account, and this is why almost no one is taking your Aden theory seriously. We have lots more EVIDENCE to support our theory than you do for yours -period.

ABOUT
Archaeological proof how do you propose to find it
supposedly  burried under 150 meters of Mudriver sediment?

Producing evidence is your problem, BlueHue, and shouldn't be used as an excuse. Seismic surveys on riverbanks and subbottom profiling in riverbeds might deteremine if there is something there.  Your theory is almost entirely linguistically-based and collapses without significant archeologically evidence.  And of course, you can't explain nor refute our evidence -12,000 year old ruins on the seafloor -how do you suppose those got there, BlueHue? Hmmmm?

People reject that notion without bothering to discuss why they reject that theory that.

You are insisting on "discussing" this material in a bizarre, rude and insulting manner! "some naiiv minded amateur historians" etc. etc. etc. LOL! How can you realistically expect that work?

You badger people incessantly.  You make off-topic posts into the wrong threads.  You call people names.  You need to wake up and improve your behavior!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Reading 3253-2
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 12:06:04 pm »

AMEN

Horus!!!

BTW, you forgot the p-mails that have begun   

A G A I N

....or, maybe you didn't get any, YET!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:09:02 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 01:59:20 pm »

dear HORUS,

well spoken, but if you got a valuable theory that intelligent audience
doesn't recognize as correct woulldn't you become a cynic ? I do.

AMERICA as Atlantis

was a political HOAX of King Fernando-1  ( ALLREADY IN; 1500 AD.0

so,  if you adher to a false tradition am I OUT OF BOUNDS BY
mentioning that to you ? that IS not naiiv ? or self-delusion ?

and that is a fact that was swept under the table
by both DonNElley and CAYCE ,THEY DID THIS FOR A LIVING !
every professional ancient historian knows this,
except the ones that should, the Atlantologists.!

MY EXPLANATIONS
are only for a third part linguistically ( one has to start somewhere no?)
the other part is that sunken harbours are everywhere at average 50 meters depth
that doesn't mean that they are atlantis city but only contemporary !

my time table is different
atlantis got two tsunamies
the one described by plato ocurred in 1.055 bc
and not around 10.000 bc
as ' American atlantologists maintain.

i know that this is hard to believe but
the europeans in france during the
neolythic magdalien-epoch( dd, 8.000 bc )

were the contempories of the egyptian 18-th dynasty
3500 bc for the Minoan invasion of Greece
1650 bc for the mycene invsion,
and 1200 bc for the Dorian/greeks invasion is much to old

but I am sure that you won't discuss that with me
because the americans think that atlantis was in america
all along and were repelled by valliant gallant athenians without allies.

No atlantologist in this forum atlest that I can remember
has ever analyses=d nor  just raised a learned quiery,
to discover  the motive or reason
for plato to write these dialogues.

the only quiery that came close was: why  he didn't finish it
because of his death ? if so how could aristotle ever have read it
since in 347 bc he had left Plato's academy to found a lyseum for himself !

and after plato's death the manuscript lingered
in a dry cellar of an inheritor nephew in milete
unread for another 50 years.
so the oldest translation,must have occured after 297 bc.

plato wrote this piece as a satire on the failed effort
of athence to conquer a peacefull neighbour : SYRACUSE in 413 bc.
thid raid displayed athens HYBRIS or warmongery by ALKIBIADES and
poor NIKIAS ( the peace monger of 420 bc.)

2 KINGS of Atlantis that never existed under those names( linguistic !)

were introduced by plato in his ' new myth'
prometheus(= Alkibiades !) and Epimetheus(= poor NIKIAS.)
the avenger goddess sent by zeus to destroy
 only the small world of the hybris atlanteans(=Athens mirrorred by herself !)
was named  pandora9 plato's pan-doric city of SYRACUSE.

dear HORUS
 if the mainstream of our\distinguised'atlantis in america ambassadors',
 meaning 90 % of our AO-Forum members
find this hard to swallow or reject this hybris-writer's motive
than is it bad manners to call american -as-atlantis adherends 'gullible'?

certainly 'atlantis' existed
and is even too well known under a differend name
but the part about the original myth ( that Plato adapted)
is precisely the chapter that you didn't want to know from me.

yes it is about lonly inguistics:
letts for the sake of argument imagine that the phrase
" atlantis was an isle in mid-ocean" BEFORE the Tsunami / Cataclysm
is correct. but this is a latin/ roman translation

But the original greek text was different
 I will explain you the difference:
no need for stupid back-up archaeology here:

IN FACTi elaborate on my #3-Rules of THUMB here

atlantis was not in MID Ocean, it was in the " Middle-"Ocean
I hope that you are capable to fathom that the Phrase
In the Middle of an Ocean,
is not the same as the Phrase: in the Middle-Ocean "

actually the atlantic ocean was originally named
the ocean that expanded around the 'middle-world '
thus it was the middle-world ocean
 later shortened to just the west-ocean.
or the homeric ocean but infact named the
 MEDIA-TERRA-(nean-)SEA / Mare mediterra nean

but it was not the present one but an older one namely the RED-SEA

greek immigrants( from a Greek tribe in south Araby
 named the Minneans.) took that SEA name to Europe
 where it didn't belong.)

conclusion:

the original atlantic ocean was the red-sea
the name atlantic ocean is not one but two seas
as a stand -alone name it doesn't exist
prior to 250 bc(Eratosthenes!)

in my opinon to think that America
and Azores / Canary Isles were a part of Atlantis
 is the same as to think that the original
olympos mountain is: Olympus MONS on Mars !

the greek hero heracles went according
to the myth to atlantis in a gold coloured airship
but that is not all, he returned that airvessel, took it back to atlantis
 to give back some golden apples to some hesperid nymps.

but that story of the 12-th labour did not tell how heracles
 got back airship-less to greece on foot or by  swimming  the ocean?

I wasn't addressing your theory but I will alittle bit below.  I was addressing BlueHue the human being who has problems relating to other people.  That's where things have to start.  

I didn't know that, BlueHue...and (if this is true) it helps to explain a lot about your behavior.  Do try to be nicer to other people and more will engage you on your ideas.

I have discussed my views here many times - and directly to you but you evidently dont remembwr because of your senility.  It isn't "my" theory, BTW.  I hold the same view that the A.R.E. does and a host of other people that Atlantis was an island empire that included areas submerged around the Carribbean, Azores, and Canaries.  

Yes, I know that you think we are following "false leads" from "latin transcription errors", HOWEVER, we are scientifically  testing the ideas presented in the more conventional, popular version of the Timaeus and Critias against reality to determine if the information is true. Now if these conventional accounts are "false" as you say, then logically we shouldn't find any underwater ruins in the Atlantic Ocean nor any other correspondences to Plato there at all.... but we have! And because we have, it PROVES that the conventional account (which you think is false) is actually the CORRECT account, and this is why almost no one is taking your Aden theory seriously. We have lots more EVIDENCE to support our theory than you do for yours -period.

ABOUT
Archaeological proof how do you propose to find it
supposedly  burried under 150 meters of Mudriver sediment?

Producing evidence is your problem, BlueHue, and shouldn't be used as an excuse. Seismic surveys on riverbanks and subbottom profiling in riverbeds might deteremine if there is something there.  Your theory is almost entirely linguistically-based and collapses without significant archeologically evidence.  And of course, you can't explain nor refute our evidence -12,000 year old ruins on the seafloor -how do you suppose those got there, BlueHue? Hmmmm?

You are insisting on "discussing" this material in a bizarre, rude and insulting manner! "some naiiv minded amateur historians" etc. etc. etc. LOL! How can you realistically expect that work?

You badger people incessantly.  You make off-topic posts into the wrong threads.  You call people names.  You need to wake up and improve your behavior!  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:34:10 pm by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: