Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 01:24:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS IN CUBA
A Report by Andrew Collins
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/atlantiscuba.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Comet impact theory disproved

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comet impact theory disproved  (Read 591 times)
Subversive

« on: January 28, 2009, 12:55:37 am »

Comet impact theory disproved
Press release issued 26 January 2009

New data, published today, disproves the recent theory that a large comet exploded over North America 12,900 years ago, causing a shock wave that travelled at hundreds of kilometres per hour and triggering continent-wide wildfires.
Dr Sandy Harrison from the University of Bristol and colleagues tested the theory by examining charcoal and pollen records to assess how fire regimes in North America changed between 15 and 10,000 years ago, a time of large and rapid climate changes.

Their results provide no evidence for continental-scale fires, but support the fact that the increase in large-scale wildfires in all regions of the world during the past decade is related to an increase in global warming.

Dr Harrison said, “Fire is the most ubiquitous form of landscape disturbance and has important effects on climate through the global carbon cycle and changing atmospheric chemistry. This has triggered an interest in knowing how fire has changed in the past, and particularly how fire regimes respond to periods of major warming.

“The end of the Younger Dryas, about 11,700 years ago, was an interval when the temperature of Greenland warmed by over 5°C in less than a few decades. We used 35 records of charcoal accumulation in lake sediments from sites across North America to see whether fire regimes across the continent showed any response to such rapid warming.”

The team found clear changes in biomass burning and fire frequency whenever climate changed abruptly, and most particularly when temperatures increased at the end of the Younger Dryas cold phase. The results are published today [26 January] in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.

Understanding whether rapid changes in climate have caused wild fires in the past will help understand whether current changes in global temperatures will cause more frequent fires at the present time. Such fires have a major impact on the economy and health of the population, as well as feeding into the increase in global warming.

Please contact Cherry Lewis for further information.

Further information:
The paper: Wildfire responses to abrupt climate change in North America, by J. R. Marlon, P. J. Bartlein, M. K. Walsh, S. P. Harrison, et al. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science early edition, doi_10.1073_pnas.0808212106.
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2009/6123.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Subversive

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 12:56:59 am »

The end of the Younger Dryas, about 11,700 years ago, was an interval when the temperature of Greenland warmed by over 5°C in less than a few decades.

Sandy Harrison
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:55:36 am »

This doesn't prove categorically - to me anyway - that there was no impact event.  It just means the event didn't cause world wide fires.
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 10:08:50 am »

Who was it again that kept going on about the " Younger Dryas " was it Mr Wells ?

The Circles in the Atlantis caldeira-Plain were water moats to track the irratic orbit-apex, of a drunken Moon causing annual tsunamies
in 855 bc at the Gigantomachy and the Ogygos-Deluge(=same Event.) the Moon impacted on the Hawaiian isles and cause the Earth-Axis tilt

This impact EVENT was recorded ( as interloper fact.)in the PELGASCIAN Creation Myth
where the MOON= Eurynome kicked out her companipn OPHION's(= MARS') teeth

These came reeling down on Araby as Mars-fragment impacts on the Waters of the Rub-al- Chali
which also tilted and poured out it's waters over the bottom outlett at Aden. thus no World Flood !
but a KNOWN World disasterflood !
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:11:41 am by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
Wind

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:20:29 pm »

I watched a  program about this on History channel about two weeks ago which stated that there was an impact off the Yucatan peninsula that basically burned up this side of the planet. It was said to have thrown flaming debris into the atmosphere and cover the planet in a blanket of ash and smoke.
(This is the same impact that killed the dinosaurs, YEAH RIGHT! Roll Eyes)

If this new study says that there was no fire, then I agree, there was no impact! Impact equals fire, simple as that.
I never believed that there was an impact, the very idea is absurd and scientifically unfounded.

This is great information Subversive Thank you for sharing it, Smiley I’ll be saving it and putting it in my files for future reference.

Wind
Report Spam   Logged
Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 04:56:33 pm »

The most close to an impact is an almost collision like Velikovsky predicted... two cosmic bodies close to each other in almost parallel trajectories can touch without the impact factor at all... just the rotational and directional behaviour of each other

Ninety East Ridge, India, the Hymalayas, the Ural Mountains and Novaya Zemlyia are elements of same direction (North Pole).

Whether Tsumamis and other catastrophic events happened, i think there can't be no doubt about it...

Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 04:58:38 pm »

So I did not view that programm
because my inmates. . . er. . . I mean my family members prefer
the national Football team Tv special spectacles
over National geographic or discovery TV channel.

IMPACT sites are mostly on mountain plains or on sea basins.
the Yuccatan Crater is on a tectonic faultline at the watershed
of a Slenk between the Caribian Sea and athe Yuccatan-Peninsula

so, the possibility of it as a Crater like in Acapulco is greater than of an impact site
however if we are talking about a Holocene Broken Meteorite impact
like with the Caroline-impacts
we must make certain that the Yuccatan Crater is still on virgin impact soil
or the washingaway of the original site debris may make it seem much older!

Cometts also bounced off Earth in the Holocene(= Quarternary) Epoch/Period
copntemporary with thed Quartenary Lake burst
asteroids or Mars fragmentary comets left kidmarks on the Andes & Himalay-mountain tops

Commentary skidmarks impacts:

I forget the Magazine or date, must have been' Scientific American or Nat.Geographic Magazine' !
but recently I saw a feature article about the recorded  random-Skidmarks of passing asteroids.

when they were sampled like egyptian Talatat=photo-fragments and put into a straight line
the Photo-artist got a familiar picture of Pangea how it must have looked like before any Seafloorspreading !

The SKIDMARKS and subsequent IMPACT that caused the seafloor to spread
( from the opposite side of Earth !underneath!)must have been closely related
and than the IMPACT Dates are wrong by a deciomal:Not 8.000 bc but: 855 bc.

In the PELGASKIAN Creation-Myth:
The MOON" Eurynome" collided with MARS (=Ophion.)

MARS/ Ophion's teeth-fragments ere reeling to earth's surface
 and impacted in the Arabian Desert LAKES of Rub- al- Chali,
which tilted and emptied in Aden( Sanaa gorge/region.) into the Gulf of Aden.

On the Tectonic faultline of South Araby many large MUD- Craters called" Ras" develloped

Sincerely " BlueHue " dd 28 Jan 2009.
Report Spam   Logged

LoneStar77

Carl Martin - Writer, Artist and Software Engineer

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:01:47 am »

According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas), the end of the Younger Dryas was about 9620 BC. This is almost exactly Plato's rough approximation of the end of Atlantis. Expanding on this idea, check out http://www.ancientsuns.com/ancient-earth/atlantis.php. Three pieces of scientific evidence show that something big happened about 9600 BC, and each of these support the idea of a large body of land sinking in the ocean someplace. Atlantis? Could be.

There need not have been a comet to cause the demise of Atlantis. And, as Subversive pointed out, any wildfires of the period could easily have been caused by an abrupt climate change (like the YD). Rapid warming could have dried out plants in many locations making them more susceptible to combustion. Moreover, there is enough in the geology of the traditional location of Atlantis (Gibraltar to the mid-Atlantic ridge) to point to a more earthly cause.

Report Spam   Logged

LoneStar77
(Carl Martin)
"Now we have proof that something BIG happened right when Plato's Atlantis subdided. We have the 'smoking gun.'"
www.MissionAtlantis.com
BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 12:37:32 pm »

Dear.........WELLS, er I mean SIR

GEOLOGY and Atlantis( litterary reseach.) don't match.

The feasible COMET- Impact happened indeed seen by eye witnesses, at the other side of Earth Twice in 1055 and 855 bc.

In BOTH cases the COMET's impact was seen and recorded by egyptian Priests( Book: Walter Schlossmann.1980)

The Seismic Waves travelling through's Earth's CORE caused an UPHEAVAL at the opposite site !

The " Quarternary Lake- Burst " officially Dated at 8.000 bc happened inreality in 800 bc.

PLATO never suggested such early dates as 10.000 or 9.000 bc
this Dating ERROR came about by Latin- Compilers.

SORRY to have been a Spellbreaker to your " Atlantis-origin " theory !

Sincerely " BlueHue " dd 9 March - 2009
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:38:37 pm by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

LoneStar77

Carl Martin - Writer, Artist and Software Engineer

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 01:00:43 am »

Thank you, Mr. BlueHue for your reply. I hope you can be more specific about your statement, "geology and Atlantis (literary research) don't match." You also state that "Plato never suggested such early dates as 10,000 or 9,000 BC this dating error came about by Latin compilers."

Where do you get your data that Latin compilers are the source of so much "confusion." There have been several Greek scholars who have translated original, ancient Greek into English and the "9000" years before Solon is quite evident in each translation. No Latin middlemen there, that I know of.

As the Egyptian priest told Solon in Sais, Egypt, there have been many calamities to strike humanity and destroy civilization, mostly of fire and water. So, it doesn't surprise me that there were comet (meteor?) impacts at the dates you quoted. Neither one, however, would seem to have anything to do with Atlantis, if so many scholars are correct in their translations. In fact, I'm corresponding with one such scholar.

You make a number of assertions that are supposed "spell breakers." Can you reveal your sources to back up your assertions? That would be helpful. I'm in this for the truth, whatever that truth is. If you've got it, please share the details. Both your assertions and mine are merely theories until Atlantis is actually found.

Key to your argument seems to be the Latin compilers. What is your source on this? And how do Latin compilers affect all of the ancient Greek translations? Didn't the ancient Greek come before the Latin? After all, ancient Greek is the language of Plato. Or are you saying that Latin compilers copied the ancient Greek incorrectly?

The idea that Plato's "9000" years before Solon was a mistranslation and off by a factor of ten is interesting, but hardly likely. This would mean that all of the dates mentioned in the dialogues would be suspect and likely off by the same factor. Take for instance the figure of 8000 years of Egyptian history, mentioned by the priest of Sais. If this were reduced to 800 years, it wouldn't make sense. Egyptian history goes back much further than 800 years prior to Solon (800 + 600 = 1400 BC). Egyptian history by modern accounts goes back to about 3100 BC, at the reign of Pharaoh Menes in the so called "First Dynasty."

The proponents of the Minoan Hypothesis seem to avoid discussing these other details, because it bursts their bubble... or poses as a "spell breaker" to their clever enchantments.

So, Mr. BlueHue, I look forward to your reply. The details of your sources would help greatly.

LoneStar77
(Carl Martin)
http://www.AncientSuns.com

Report Spam   Logged

LoneStar77
(Carl Martin)
"Now we have proof that something BIG happened right when Plato's Atlantis subdided. We have the 'smoking gun.'"
www.MissionAtlantis.com
BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 10:57:30 am »

IGNORANCE is Bliss,

I am just a simple guy that spotted what better learned professional overlooked but I'll get inti that later

THANK  YOU for your reply
if not comment on my subscript ! Cry Shocked Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Greg Little

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 08:30:25 pm »

The evidence that a cataclysmic event took place in the Americas is overwhelming and accepted by the vast majority of scientists who have read the actual research. The study referred to here focused on a "continent-wide" disaster, not one that was focused on the SE of the US, the Bahamas, and Caribbean. Their samples did not come from these areas noir did they refute any of the actual evidence showing the flash fires and sudden water infusion occurring in Floriada and the Bahamas.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: