Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 10:27:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Code of Honor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Code of Honor  (Read 368 times)
Aphrodite
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: February 02, 2007, 09:20:35 am »

What is Honor?

Our definitions of honor have changed throughout the ages, and these days, to have honor is seen as old-fashioned, even quaint. There is no actual concensus as to what honor is, and that is why it is so important to have each human being themselves define what honor is.

My own definition goes something like this:

Honor being:

Be a woman or man of your word.
Never depend upon others.
Responsibility, both personal & otherwise
Never shrink from Commitment
Never back off from a fight
Do the right thing, both morally and emotionally,
Never let others influence you to do evil,
Never just watch evil occur and sit idly by,
Hold charity, not disdain in your heart for those less fortunate,
Stand up for others who cannot stand up for themselves,
Be a leader, not a follower,
And, above all, Never give up
[/b]

Time was, the word honor was limited to men, and a woman's honor was reduced to her sexual conduct, but all that has changed now. We live in a new age now, thank God. And, to be frank, I hold my own sex even more accountable than men. I am confident we are even more suited to the task, so I make no excuses.

In this topic (my first), we shall look at how the definition of honor has changed throughout the ages, and I also wouldn't mind hearing of anyone else's code of honor, too, if you even have one. Honor is the quality most lacking in the world today, I've found anyway. It certainly isn't found in our leaders today, and we barely find it in each other.

It can rightly be said that a person can live without honor, but I have a hard time believing that they can die without it. For, when we die there is something of an accounting of all our lives, and all the sins of our past come back to haunt us, be there actually a God or not. We are, in the end, our own worst judges, and it is for us to answer the questions, did we do good, and whether we were right, or whether we were wrong.

Aphrodite

(Karen W.)
Report Spam   Logged

"He who controls others maybe powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.” - Lao Tsu

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Aristotle
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 05:42:46 pm »

You have a fine philosophy, Aphrodite, I have a feeling it will carry you far in life.  Be true to your beliefs, and you will never go wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 06:44:44 pm »

Sounds like a good topic, Aphrodite.  What are some of the historical codes of honor?  Would we include the Ten Commandments?  Does anyone know what the Knights Templar adhered to?
Report Spam   Logged
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 01:12:01 am »

That's a good question, Tom.  I believe that they took vows of poverty at first (being monks) and then became the richest knights in the land, in fact, they invented banking.  Who knows what they actually stood for?

Cheers,

Dawn
Report Spam   Logged

"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 10:54:25 am »

Some sources say they are today's Illuminati.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 12:53:32 am »

Honor being:

Be a woman or man of your word.
Never depend upon others.
Responsibility, both personal & otherwise
Never shrink from Commitment
Never back off from a fight
Do the right thing, both morally and emotionally,
Never let others influence you to do evil,
Never just watch evil occur and sit idly by,
Hold charity, not disdain in your heart for those less fortunate,
Stand up for others who cannot stand up for themselves,
Be a leader, not a follower,
And, above all, Never give up

Time was, the word honor was limited to men, and a woman's honor was reduced to her sexual conduct, but all that has changed now. We live in a new age now, thank God. And, to be frank, I hold my own sex even more accountable than men. I am confident we are even more suited to the task, so I make no excuses.

In this topic (my first), we shall look at how the definition of honor has changed throughout the ages, and I also wouldn't mind hearing of anyone else's code of honor, too, if you even have one. Honor is the quality most lacking in the world today, I've found anyway. It certainly isn't found in our leaders today, and we barely find it in each other.

It can rightly be said that a person can live without honor, but I have a hard time believing that they can die without it. For, when we die there is something of an accounting of all our lives, and all the sins of our past come back to haunt us, be there actually a God or not. We are, in the end, our own worst judges, and it is for us to answer the questions, did we do good, and whether we were right, or whether we were wrong.

Aphrodite

(Karen W.)

Seems relegated to just Klingons as of late doesn't it.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 01:51:54 am by Volitzer » Report Spam   Logged
Jake

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 04:56:19 am »

My personal concept of honor is very limited.
   1. Never regret anything that you have ever done. Never.
   2. Die standing on your own two feet. Do not ever give up.

All else is just part of the game. As such it means very little to me.

Jake
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: