Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 03:02:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Mediterranean Diet

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mediterranean Diet  (Read 1936 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2009, 10:31:07 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2009, 10:38:12 am »

2009: Toasted Spaghetti Primavera

(May 17, 2009)
By Jeremy Fox,
chef at Ubuntu in
Napa, Calif.

1 cup fresh English peas, shelled, shells reserved, or 1 cup frozen peas and 4 cups snap peas

Fine sea salt

1 small Romanesco broccoli, cut into small florets

12 sugar snap peas

20 1-inch-long carrots, cleaned

4 thin asparagus spears

6 very small French breakfast radishes, trimmed

About 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling

1 teaspoon finely grated garlic

1 tablespoon minced green garlic

1 teaspoon chopped capers

1∕2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes

1 teaspoon red miso paste

Zest and juice of 1 lemon

1 pound bucatini

1∕4 cup thinly sliced parsley

1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add pea shells and steep for 90 minutes. Strain
and cool. Discard shells and reserve 2 cups of broth.

2. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Prepare an ice-water bath. Drop the peas into the boiling water and cook until just soft, about 2 minutes (30 seconds
if frozen). Using a strainer, transfer the peas to the ice water, then remove and roughly chop.

3. Return water to a boil. Boil the Romanesco and sugar snaps for 30 seconds; transfer to ice water with a slotted spoon. Boil carrots for 1 to 3 minutes and transfer them to the ice water. Save boiling water for the pasta, adding more water and salt as needed. Carefully separate the sugar snaps in half along their seams so that half of the peas remain hinged on each half of the shell.

4. Using a vegetable peeler or mandoline, slice asparagus and radishes lengthwise. Spread on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil. Season with salt.

5. In a large saucepan set over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the garlic, green garlic, capers, pepper flakes and a large pinch of salt. Sauté until fragrant but before the garlic browns, 30
to 60 seconds. Add the pea broth and the miso paste and bring to a boil. Add the peas, sugar snaps, carrots and Romanesco. Season to taste with salt, miso, lemon zest and lemon juice. Remove from the heat and keep warm.

6. About 20 minutes before serving, break the pasta into 2-inch pieces and place on a baking sheet. Coat with 2 tablespoons olive oil and toast in the oven until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Immediately transfer to the boiling salted water and cook until al dente. Transfer to the miso broth. Set over medium heat and stir until well combined and hot.

7. Portion the pasta and broth into 4 bowls. Top each with a few slices of asparagus and radish, a sprinkle of parsley and, if you choose, miner’s lettuce or edible pansies. Drizzle with olive oil.

Serves 4.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/magazine/17food-t.html?ref=magazine
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:40:03 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 09:13:29 pm »

Germany's chef Glowig is a happy "defector" in Italy

Deepa Babington
Jun 2, 2009
ROME
(Reuters Life!)

– German chef Oliver Glowig has left behind the heavy food of his homeland and defected to Italy, where he mixes his passion for classic Italian cuisine with bold experimentation like anchovies with ricotta cheese. A German who now calls the sun-soaked island of Capri home, Glowig has been chef at the Capri Palace Hotel and Spa's two Michelin-starred L'Olivo restaurant since 2002.

Quick to admit that there's no love lost between him and German food -- "It's too heavy" -- the young chef's signature style is simple southern Italian cooking prepared light.

In Rome for a week-long gastronomic event at the Hotel Eden, Glowig spoke to Reuters about his passion for Italian food and why fish with cheese may be unusual but good.

Q: Why Italian over any other cuisine you could have chosen?

A: I always ate German food growing up but I have always been curious about Italian food. I liked its lightness, the flavor. The products here are excellent and I like Italian food for its ingredients and how light they are. You can taste the flavors of the ingredients in the final product, they aren't transformed into something else with spices or worked upon too much.

Q: What's your cooking style?

A: I always try not to mix too many ingredients together. I like pairing fish with cheese -- a light cheese like ricotta, for example, an appetizer of anchovies and cheese.

Fish and cheese are not normally put together in Italy, but I really like it. Even burrata (a fresh cheese from Puglia) with seafood. It's not a provocation of any kind, I just like them together. When two ingredients gel well together, you can do it.

Q: What is your favorite dish to cook?

A: Anchovies with ricotta is one of my favorite dishes because it's full of flavor but light at the same time. We have fairly positive reaction to it. Of course, there's always someone who's a purist who doesn't like new things, but in general the feedback is quite positive.

Q: Has the economic crisis changed how you cook or pushed you to consider less pricey dishes?

A: No, for me the quality of the ingredients is very important and for quality, you pay. You always have to pay. If you want to make a good dish, the raw ingredients have to be of excellent quality. It can't be a great product that costs less.

Q: Why did you become a chef?

A: I've always liked the idea, my father used to take me to restaurants right from when I was very young and I always liked the atmosphere. And I always liked to eat and try new things and that's how I started learning this trade. It was born out of love. In fact, my parents didn't have anything to do with it -- my father is an economist and my mother a housewife.

Q: What do you cook at home, when you're with your wife and children?

A: Dishes that are even simpler, but it's always me who cooks. Nowadays when the weather's good, perhaps a barbecue, things like that, grilled fish and spaghetti with clams or other seafood.

Q: Do you have any passion for your native German food?

A: No, not anymore. It's too heavy. I cook Italian food at home.

Q: Are you more of a purist or risk-taking chef?

A: I'm a bit of both. I like traditional dishes but I try to do them in a way that they are lighter. I try not to use too much oil or things that are too heavy, because after one eats, you still need to get up and feel good. But at the same time I like modern things as well, I like colors on the plate, things that are happy.

(Editing by Paul Casciato)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: