Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 09:57:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Precession of the Equinoxes (George Erikson) - ORIGINAL

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Precession of the Equinoxes (George Erikson) - ORIGINAL  (Read 372 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: January 01, 2009, 08:50:44 pm »

George Erikson
Member # 1129

Member Rated:
   posted 12-08-2003 10:09 AM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Precession

Precession of the Equinoxes

There is new sign that rises above the eastern sky just before the
sun rises every 2,160 years. When the sun rises it seems to rise into this house. This is due to a wobble in the rotation
of the Earth which spins like a top. It is a slow spin since it takes
25,920 years to complete! Today the rising sun sits in zodiacal house
of Pisces. In about 145 years it will rise in the house of Aquarius.
12,000 years ago the rose in the house of Leo, which could account
not only for the placement of some monuments but could also explain
why the Sphinx (facing due east) would have had the face of a lion,
not its current Cephren-like face. I try to explain some of the
aspects of Precession in my book, Atlantis In America (pp. 231,
259,267,270). Knowledge of Precession is not recent. In fact, it was probably more commonly understood thousands of years ago. It amy have been represented or revealed through ancient constructions throughout the world. Any comments?

George Erikson www.AtlantisInAmerica.com

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:01:49 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 08:52:27 pm »

Andre
Member # 661

Member Rated:
   posted 12-08-2003 02:21 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well George, it was Hipparchus around 130 years BC who discovered the precession of the equinoxes for the modern world.

http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Sprecess.htm

It was Sir Isaac of the falling apple, who theorised the working mechanism of precession:

http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses/m309-01a/tsang/precession.html

quote:
Newton knew that the Earth is not a perfect sphere; it bulges slightly around the equator. The gravitational attraction of both the Sun and the Moon tries to pull the Earth's equatorial bulge into the Moon's and the Sun's orbital planes. Acting like a spinning top, the rotating Earth resists this pull. The result of the Sun's and Moon's attraction and the Earth's resistance is that the Earth's axis of rotation moves slowly westward around the pole of the ecliptic. Because of this, the points of intersection between the celestial equator and the ecliptic shift westward along the ecliptic at a rate of about 50 minutes of arc per year or over 1º per century. Thus, the equinoxes precess completely around the ecliptic in 25,868 years.

Does that help?
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 08:54:17 pm »

George Erikson
Member # 1129

Member Rated:
   posted 12-09-2003 05:14 PM                       

Andre,

Thanks. I knew about Hipparchus as the alleged first discoverer of Precession, but the Newtonian explanation of why it occurs is useful.

I'm just as interested in when it was discovered and expressed in monuments.

I believe that the astronomical sightlines of the Sun Gate at the Kalasasaya Temple at Tiawanaku (Bolivia) describe a date when the angle earth's obliquity to the sun, due to the Precession, was greater than it is during our current age (23.5 degrees). this places Kalasasaya's construction at either 10,150 BC or 4050 BC.

So what I am looking for is leads to other temples and observatories that seem to be slightly off their goal of describing a 23.5 degree obliquity.

www.AtlantisInAmerica.com
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 08:55:23 pm »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

posted 12-09-2003 06:24 PM                       

George isn't it interesting how many times this figure circa 10,500 BC keeps popping up? Surely something of significance occurred in that period. 
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 08:57:54 pm »

Andre
Member # 661

Member Rated:
   posted 12-10-2003 02:48 AM                       

This is getting interesting George,
but the problem may be much more complicated.

We have not only precession of the equinoxes, but also the Earth axis obliquity wobble between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees.

http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/student/howard2/theory.htm

but we also have the Rapid True Polar Wander as far as I'm concerned that made the mantle-lithosphere wander over the poles in a big semi circle. This would show like a move of the geographical Nord Pole probably from North East Canada via Iceland, Ireland, back to Greenland and then via spitsbergen to the present position. This may have started around 35,000 years ago and may have stopped not early than 4-3000 years ago.

That would certainly give some variation to Archeologic sites and it's possible alignment to the North and to the local solar angles.

I believe that Flem-Ath made some observations on Archeologic angles in Blueprint of Atlantis but I haven't read that.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 09:00:20 pm »

George Erikson
Member # 1129

Member Rated:
   posted 12-10-2003 01:26 PM                       

Brig,
It's no coincidence.

Andre,

Yes, more complicated from our perspective. You mentioned The Atlantis Blueprint as being Rand Flem-Ath's book. But Rand only wrote the Appendixes that begin on p. 319. Most of the book was written by Colin Wilson.

I mention this because I've always marveled at Colin's ability to place and inform the reader of a different framework of time. On p. 167 Wilson writes,

"These ancient peoples, unaware that precession arises from a mere wobble on the axis, regarded the precession of the equinoxes as of tremendous religious significance, largely becuase they believed that the end of each age brings some immense catastrophe."

Were they ignorant of other forces on Earth's obliquity? It may not matter if they have correctly recorded our position as related to the houses of the zodiac.

And if they have recorded them as a stately and gradual movement for 12,500 years -- as Tiawanku and the Sphinx (and the ceiling zodiac engraving at Dendera) suggest -- then do they not refute Flem-Ath's notion of recent pole shifts?

Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 09:03:25 pm »

Andre
Member # 661

Member Rated:
   posted 12-11-2003 05:29 AM                       

Well George, those ideas of Flem-Ath are vague and debunked by other mechanisms.

For my RTPW you could argue that the spin axis of Earth and it's precession of the equinoxes was hardly affected other than some secundair effects, so the sequencing of the signs of the zodiac was unaltered.
What did happen was a wandering of the mantle Lithosphere with as main consequence, a change in lattitude and a change of the North direction hence all the the zenith positions changed.

The last port of the movement of the North Pole wandering may have been from North Scandandinavia - Spitsbergen to the current position. Being on about the same longitude with Egypt, this would not have affect the N/S orientation too much over there. And the near perfect NS alignment of the great Pyramid confirms its conventional construction theory.

I believe that the Angkor temples is a different story though.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 09:04:54 pm »

Pytheas
Member # 274

Rate Member   posted 01-08-2004 06:22 AM                       

The last movement of the North pole was in 10500 BC. It moved from Hudson Bay to present position. As you put it; “wandering of the mantle Lithosphere”

The layout of the temples around Ankor Wat shows the position of the stars of Draco as it appeared in the sky above Ankor Wat in 10500 BC .

Cool eh?

Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 09:06:24 pm »

George Erikson
Member # 1129

Member Rated:
   posted 01-12-2004 07:38 PM                       

Way cool!

However, no one has given any substantial proof the the pole shifted from Hudson Bay to its present position.

Indeed the Precession of the Equinoxes seem to suggest that the pole has not moved at all.

Only the perception of a change in the pole has occurred, due to the wobble. 
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 09:08:14 pm »

Smiley4554

Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-13-2004 09:49 AM                       

George, just a question. Do AR get personal, signed autographed books from you? And, maybe a discount?

Just kidding.

Actually, I absolutely agree that it is no coincidence that 10,500 - 12,000 keep showing up.

It's very obvious & very clear that something monumentally catastrophic happened during this time. That is why I believe Plato's description is accurate.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 09:09:24 pm »

George Erikson
Member # 1129

Member Rated:
   posted 01-13-2004 03:50 PM                       

Smiley,

You can get signed books from me personally but I can't realy offer a discount because my publisher is not so generous.

Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 09:10:33 pm »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

posted 01-13-2004 05:05 PM                       

I have an autographed copy of Georges book Smiley. I'm sure you would enjoy it. 
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 09:15:26 pm »

Daffy Duck
Member # 320

Rate Member   posted 01-13-2004 07:54 PM                       

Well, Andre and NileQueen and I have discussed this (precession) amongst ourselves, and speaking for myself, I'd tend to agree that ancients oriented their structures to some astronomically significant feature (due north, due east, spring/fall equinox, summer/winter solstice, etc.). OK, so then a big anomaly with that logic is the "Avenue of the Dead" at Teotihuacan (Mexico):

http://archaeology.la.asu.edu/teo/intro/citymp1.htm

The "Avenue of the Dead" is off-set from true north ~17 degrees (as best as I can approximate with a protractor on the screen - lol - lazy bastard that I am. I think I've read it's 19 degrees. But that's Hoagland, and he's got a thing for 19 degrees. Tetrahedral geometry and all. Maybe I should just print it.....nah, F' it). So, as far as I know, there is nothing significant about that angle from true north.

It would be 'wonderful' if Teotihuacan could be dated back to 12,500 B.P., and we could speculate that the "Avenue of the Dead" pointed true-north..... "Unfortunately,"  archeology is limiting the site to about ca. 200 B.C. for earliest habitation (from the same link).

Anyway, I find the axis orientation of the "Avenue of the Dead" at Teotihuacan 'anomalous' from other famous sites, but maybe that's due to my lack of exposure to less famous sites. But, maybe it is anomalous, and somebody should check it out.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 09:17:25 pm »

George Erikson
Member # 1129

Member Rated:
   posted 01-13-2004 08:13 PM                       

Daffy,

I'm flying to the Yuctan in 2 days, will drive with a party of archaeology students and an architect who investigates ancient sites -- Jack Althouse. Jack will do a flyover of the Teotihuacan site. We'll report back (in 3 weeks) on any new discoveries. (We have some ideas but are not prepared to put them out until we get verification).

www.atlantisinamerica.com

Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 09:19:55 pm »

Daffy Duck
Member # 320

Rate Member   posted 01-13-2004 09:20 PM                       

Cool, George. Have a good trip. Let us know of anything exciting.

And yes, you were the "somebody" I was thinking about when I said "maybe... somebody should check
it out."

Oh, and I'll speculate a bit (for your benefit, of course). Accepting the archeologist date for Teotihuacan, it is possible that the angle of the "Avenue of the Dead" was oriented to magnetic North. Of course, that would imply that the Zapotec/Toltec/Aztec (whomever)

1) knew of magnetism, and
2), had a need to use it (i.e., navigation).

There are theories (I don't know if they are academically accepted, or just 'crackpotted') that the reflecting pools along the "Avenue of the Dead" were for earthquake warning - standing water is disturbed by the p-waves of earthquakes, that arrive before the actual physical shock.

But (speculation warning), if they knew/used magnetism, the same pools would support a small flotation device with a magnetized needle, or magnetic mineral (i.e., a compass).

And, who needs a compass? Navigators?

Just a thought.

http://forums.atlantisrising.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000791

http://www.world-mysteries.com/Walter_Cruttenden_1.htm
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:12:59 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: