Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 01:18:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plato's Atlantis: Fact, Fiction or Prophecy?
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CarolAnn_Bailey-Lloyd
http://www.underwaterarchaeology.com/atlantis-2.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ian Hamilton On Stone Of Destiny - HISTORY

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ian Hamilton On Stone Of Destiny - HISTORY  (Read 3596 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: December 14, 2008, 10:12:47 am »

He carried the smaller piece to the car and returned for the rest. Then they heard the car moving. Hamilton ran out to find a policeman. He jumped in the car and gave Kay a passionate kiss, telling the officer they couldn't find a bed and breakfast. Kay drove the fragment to Birmingham for safe-keeping and Hamilton returned to find that his friends had fled. Undeterred, he rolled the remaining piece onto his coat and dragged it to the second car. By coincidence, he encountered his friends and they set off for Scotland.

As they sped off, the nightwatchman was phoning 999. When they reached the border, they marked the Stone's homecoming after 600 years by dousing it in whisky.

The hue and cry was enormous, but though the foursome were questioned police, once the Stone was found, did not press charges, fearing an even bigger incident. Hamilton gave up the Stone a year later, after a very public and fruitless police search, by leaving it at Arbroath Abbey, where the Scots had signed a declaration to fight for freedom in 1320.

The Stone remained in Westminster Abbey until 1996, when it was returned to Scotland on the condition that it be used for crowning the British monarchy.

Hamilton, meanwhile, spent the intervening years trying to forget about it. Until now. ''Am I proud? You bet I am,'' he says. ''I felt I was holding Scotland's soul when I touched it for the first time. Times have changed; I have mellowed. But ashamed? Never.''

• Stone of Destiny (Cert PG) will be in cinemas from

Friday, December 19
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: