Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 09:48:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Anyone See Atlantis Rising Lately?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone See Atlantis Rising Lately?  (Read 1535 times)
Robert0326
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 09:14:48 pm »

They let me back in AR but I'm afraid the damage is done.. I believe the forum has just about flat lined. There are only a few people posting in there now.
Report Spam   Logged

Blasphemy is a victimless crime.
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."     Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823 -Thomas Jefferson
nikas
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 07:59:05 am »

They let me back in AR but I'm afraid the damage is done.. I believe the forum has just about flat lined. There are only a few people posting in there now.

Well I told you is like you dont exist anymore. Few minutes ago I went and saw that there was nobody and it said there was a visitor few hours ago. Poor turist must have been lost Cry wondering in those post older than Atlantis itself. Grin
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 08:00:42 am by nikas » Report Spam   Logged
Warzyn

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 04:27:31 pm »

What a poor excuse for a forum, this Atlantis Rising sounds like!  Perhaps the mods think that their various warnings and bannings themselves are what provide the entertainment for visitors?  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 11:16:55 pm »

Topic: Where's everyone at? 
cydonia

Member # 282

Member Rated:
   posted 01-16-2009 12:45 AM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I havent been here in a bit, so tell me, where is everyone? Are they still here? Have they bailed? I see via is still lurking (sweet), and I noticed brig and rajesh. Where are Daffy and Tom, and Andrew? I also noticed docyabut. Awesome. I logged on in 2000, and doc was here. She's still here going strong, and that makes me happy.

Where's the rest of the old guard?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 4482 | From: colorado, usa | Registered: Dec 2000   

Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 11:17:17 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 01-16-2009 04:59 AM                       
Hi Cydonia:) yes I`m still hanging in here. I remember our talks went on all night long. Wish AR had a chatroom. Most members just come and go:)
Posts: 9303 | From: toledo .ohio | Registered: Mar 2000   
Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 11:17:32 pm »

Orion von Koch

Member # 2038

posted 01-16-2009 06:13 AM                       
I would love a chat room. I would pay for a chat room at least a dollar a month.
Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 11:17:51 pm »

Orion von Koch

Member # 2038

posted 01-16-2009 06:13 AM                       
I would love a chat room. I would pay for a chat room at least a dollar a month.
Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 11:18:26 pm »

Smiley4554

Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-16-2009 09:48 AM                       
No. We have had a particularly bad time recently, and only current members are allowed in. The ARM has suspended new registrations for about a month or so. She wasn't quite happy with a couple of members, and to boot, she said she is going to be enhancing our site.

I'm not sure how long this will take, but I am PM her today to see.

The rest of the "old guard" left, Cy, because of the idiot troublemakers who came here.

I'm going to try and see if any want to return now that these nuts are gone.

In the meantime, there is still plenty of discussions around the forums. There are many other forums which are quite active at the moment.

In addition, she is going to clean up ALL members who have never posted.

BTW, if ANYONE accidentally gets "erased", please let Brig or me know immediately this time, OK? Don't "assume" you were "banned", because that isn't the truth.

--------------------
It only takes one voice to lie. It takes many for the truth. - Kim

http://www.panoramio.com/user/120220

Please contact me by using the PM on the site. I will respond much faster. If full, e-mail @ :

armoderator@hotmail.com

Thanks! Kim

Posts: 7153 | From: Arkansas...USA | Registered: Jan 2001   
Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 11:18:41 pm »

Orion von Koch

Member # 2038

posted 01-16-2009 10:05 AM                       
Don't forget that if any graphics are needed, I would be glad to help.
Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 11:19:07 pm »

TomB

Member # 482

Rate Member   posted 01-16-2009 11:05 AM                       

quote:

The rest of the "old guard" left, Cy, because of the idiot troublemakers who came here.

No. At least not in my case. Just the opposite, in fact.

I haven't been around lately, but I've stopped by to see if there was anything interesting going on (there hasn't been) and (mostly) to see if Daffy, cydonia, Dorian or anyone else whose posts I enjoy reading has shown up.

So why do I see nothing of interest here? In my opinion it's because interested discussions get heated. But that isn't allowed any more. In a good discussion you call your opponent out on their points...you fight. You shred their posts and supporting data and they do the same thing to you. And it's not always nice and polite. A polite message board is a boring message board. This board has been becoming more and more of a nanny board over the last few years. It has become about as interesting as a Teletubbies marathon.

The problem, contrary to what Kim just said, has not been the people who have been removed, but the fact that they were removed. The people that (I assume) have been removed recently, while I disagree with them, were at least interesting. By removing all of the "troublemakers" this board has become an echo chamber where everyone agrees with each other.

Look, to make an example that maybe someone here might understand...Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern are annoying idiots. But they are entertaining. Why? Because they are loud, obnoxious, offensive, and somewhat annoying. By removing those factors from this board, you have reset the dynamics level to that of NPR.

That's my opinion...

Anyway, good to see you cy.

--------------------
-Tom
-------------------------------
Anything is possible. Except that.

Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 11:19:30 pm »

Manutius

Member # 34582

Rate Member   posted 01-16-2009 11:12 AM                       
I was mostly a reader over the past year and seldom posted. I must say I agree with you and miss some of the people who for whatever reason were dismissed or just left. Epsi was one of my favourites even though I gather most didn't like her. She would really annoy me too but often made me laugh with her antics and insight.

If anyone knows if she is posting on any other boards, please let me know.
Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 11:20:17 pm »

Smiley4554

Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-16-2009 12:50 PM                       
Tom, I beg to disagree with you. The original problems began on the Atlantis Forums a very, very long time ago.

You are "in and out". Many of us are here all the time. That's a huge difference.

I had e-mail after e-mail from the real researchers here that they were leaving due to a couple of members who were very busily berating and being generally disrespectful. This was a majority of researchers on Atlantis.

The Gen and Misc wasn't a big deal, and frankly, I rarely bothered going to it BECAUSE there was so little traffic on it. I used to check now and again.

But, then, after the Atlantis business with Alan e-mailing me and other mods about the problems, he added a new forum - Common Ground - made me mod over it, and then would ask me my opinions if there was a problem with a member. I would give him my honest assessments, but in the end, only Alan had the authority to do anything about it.

All of those old posts on this subject are now long gone, but believe me...I have a VERY long memory of how I tried everything I could to keep our researchers here, but wasn't successful.

I really couldn't blame them, because the insults were flying in all directions.

Alan left, and the AR Forums didn't have anything but a couple of moderators, and we only have very limited abilities until our current ARM came. She is very busy with other tasks, and the forum is not her main priority. It's an "extra", really, and we are privileged to be apart of it.

But, no, Tom. You are wrong on this subject. I couldn't begin to tell you HOW wrong you are on it.

I even had people asking where all of these people were by e-mail at the time, and I simply told them the truth.

You see, Tom, most people don't realize just how many members did leave because of these problems.

The "heated" discussion you mention are not the problem in any way whatsoever. They never have been. If that were true, there would be no AR Forums in the first place.

There is a huge difference between "heated discussions" and "respectful disagreement discussions". They are not even remotely the same.

They were not "heated" in the first place. They were downright mean-spirited with cursing going on all over the place, insults galore, repeated name-calling, and where the original topic was introduced, the entire meaning got left behind in the "insult game" of who could be meaner and more insulting than the next or previous person.

If you could not see this, I'm sorry, but you see, Tom, many COULD see this problem, and they hated it with a passion. Myself included.

It was not WHAT was said about a specific subject; it was the HOW it was said.

There is a wide gulf between what is said with bantering back and forth concerning the topic and maybe anger about it, but being respectful while doing so, and the deliberate, out and out filth and meanness of someone who is trying their best to hurt, manipulate, and degrade.

It is BEHAVIOR that is at stake here, Tom, NOT the subjects nor their argumental discussion.

I grew up in a time when MANNERS and BEHAVIOR mattered. This is sorely lacking in today's society right along with respect.

There is a huge difference in saying anything and everything one thinks and means, and saying it with respect.

Well, AR has always operated the way of respectful arguments.

Epsi was using curse words, Manutius, which is STRICTLY AGAINST THESE FORUMS RULES. I know some can't seem to figure out what the word "rules" means.

Rules are everywhere we look - even government. Just because we have some sort of stupid idea that "Freedom of Speech" applies to ANYTHING we want to say does NOT mean that they need be said in a hurtful or mean manner. Nor does it mean that others want to HEAR this. Just because Epsi wanted to curse did NOT give her the right to do so on these forums.

This is about, BEHAVIOR. I cannot understand why in the world I have to repeat myself on this matter.

How hard can this be to understand???

I get sick to my stomach when I here little 3 and 4 year olds using words I didn't learn until I was an older teenager, not to mention things they should not be knowing in the first place.

Why is it some adults insist that kids grow up immediately, and insist on them losing their innocence younger and younger?

In the Byrd's song, "Turn, Turn, Turn", the lyrics are quite clear that there is a time for EVERYTHING and EVERYTHING IN ITS TIME.

A child does NOT need to know everything when they are still too young to understand. As they grow, then give them info that they will need to know, but you don't just go willy-nilly and try to teach them everything from the age of infancy!!!

A child who grows up on a farm or ranch already knows more than most kids, but it is NOT that kid's responsibility to tell other kids about things he/she has seen.

What is wrong with innocence? Why is it so wrong to just have fun while they are young?

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/forrestgump/turnturnturntoeverythingthereisaseason.htm

Well, the same thing is true here. There is a time and place for everything if one so wishes, but this is NOT the place nor is it the time.

I'm so annoyed at how many members we lost over this dumb issue about a very few members (except for the deceptive practices of groups who come in to use us for their experiments).

We have lost MORE members due to the issue of behavior and insults than I care to talk about.

Epsi needed to find another outlet for her cursing. She REFUSED TO STOP after being asked numerous times. Therefore, she was banned, because of the rules.

You know...people "talk about getting tough" when these things happen, but when they do get tough, then they whine about it.

You just can't have it both ways.

quote:
The problem, contrary to what Kim just said, has not been the people who have been removed, but the fact that they were removed.

Wrong again, Tom. It IS ABOUT those people's BEHAVIOR. I don't care if a few don't care about behavior; the majority DO CARE, and that is the difference, and that is why they were "removed".

You said it RIGHT this time, Tom. Limbaugh and Stern are in it FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT. Who cares? They are PUBLIC AIRWAYS, but the stations are PRIVATELY OWNED, therefore, the stations make all the rules for their employees and those who call in as well. If that station allows cursing, etc., then it's OK for that to be on the air...oh, but WAIT! They STILL have to be careful, because of the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction", or have people forgotten that? The fines they face for refusing to comply are horrendous.

Forums are different. There are unlimited forums all over the internet - each with its own personality, and frankly, most of those I visited have a bunch of members, too, but only an extreme few ever post. This is no difference.

What happened was that like kind draws like kind. They entered here determined to break the rules drawing more of these types to us.

Heated discussion are nothing more than "I agree to disagree" discussions, and sometimes there might be some anger involved, but it is quickly resolved. But, what's been happening here sounded more and more like a couple of angry little 2 year olds fighting. Subjects were taking such an extreme off-topic discussion, they bore no resemblance to the discussion.

But, this time, Tom, you are wrong about this subject.

But, not all people were mad because these people were removed, but many were happy they were removed because they were disrupting "the class", so to speak.

Without these rules, there is chaos, and that is exactly what was being sown here. Chaos does nothing and goes nowhere and means nothing. And, that is exactly what was happening here.

[ 01-16-2009, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Smiley4554 ]

--------------------

Please contact me by using the PM on the site. I will respond much faster. If full, e-mail @ :

armoderator@hotmail.com

Thanks! Kim

Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 11:20:39 pm »

Manutius

Member # 34582

Rate Member   posted 01-16-2009 01:23 PM                       
Thank you Smiley4554.

You may wish to ask the site manager if it is possible to install word recognition software that blanks out curse words. A lot of sites have this software on them.
Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 11:20:52 pm »

Smiley4554

Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-17-2009 08:57 AM                       
You're welcome, and thanks, I'll mention it to her. When AR was first launched, I doubt that they thought about cursing, because it was placed here for discussions.

But, it's not just cursing, Manutius. One might be able to filter out a curse word, but one cannot filter out the behavior of a member, and when it comes right down to it, when all is said and done, the behavior takes precedence over all.

--------------------

armoderator@hotmail.com

Thanks! Kim

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 11:21:53 pm by Ares, God of War » Report Spam   Logged
Ares, God of War
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 11:23:13 pm »

TomB

Member # 482

Rate Member   posted 01-17-2009 09:41 AM                       
Actually, Kim, I have ben here pretty much constantly since I first registered, with the exception of a couple of gaps. I haven't always been posting, however.

And you miss the point. Removing the "troublemakers" for whatever reason (good or bad) has had the unintended consequence of sterilizing the forums.

I know for a fact that a couple years ago a large number of posters who considered themselves "researchers" left to start their own forum due to disagreement with what they considered a stifling and biased moderation environment. Interesting that that took most of the political left of this board. I mark that point as when the sterilization of this board began. I (and others on the right whom they respected) was invited and have an account over there. I can't say that it's any better than over here for the same resons: lack of conflict.

And the heated discussions were not some sort of polite disagrement. I was here when PeterV (one of the best posters ever in the Egypt forums) used to get into it with Horus. I was here when Dorian was banned and reinstated. I debated Israel with Starlight69 and pressed her on the issue. I had a heated discussion with a multi-personality from the middle-east on th same topic. I have called TSM out on his failure to support his assertions with solid evidence.

The forum was much better back then both from an entertainment and intelectual standpoint. Original ideas were posted, strong opinions were expressed. And you couldn't get away without having to defend those ideas.

And one does not conduct "research" on a message board. One may present research on a message board. But if one does one should be prepard to have his ideas ripped to shreds if he can't defend them.

So lets see...lets go through the old guard and tll me which of these that I regard as excellent posters left because someone used a swear word....

PeterV? Horus? Ignorant Ape? Byron (Sorry, but he was one of the best posters ever from the left on this board.) Andrae? Nilequeen? Probably Starlight, I'll give you. She didn't like being pinned down or challenged. (I know, I pressed her a lot. But politely and with no naughty words. And it pissed her off.) Maybe TSM. (He hated being pressed for actual evidence.)

As for wireless.... He was annoying and I disagreed with his assertion that everything boils down to cycles. But really, I never saw anything so offensive as to be intolerable. Calling fundementalists "fundies" is no different than a lot of the stuff that has been tolerated from others. (Osama Obama, Hitlery, Feminazi, homosexual Agenda (as associated with Democrats in general)).

But all of this is irrelevant. What is relevant is that this forum has mutated from a loud and active debate of issues and ideas to an echo chamber of conformity. Which is funny considering that it is asociated with a magazine that presents controversial alternative ideas and viewpoints.

The bottom line is people are not participating because it has become less interesting to do so. I blame inconsistent over-moderation and people who whine every time someone challenges or pokes a hole in their pet theory. You blame bad words. Who cares? The end result is the same.

By the way, I hate the new split in the General and Misc. topic. Just my opinion. Oh, and no one has asserted that AR doesn't have the right to make and enforce whatever rules it ses fit. But rules have consequences. When responding to those consequences being pointed out your assertions about a private vs. public forum are irrelevant. They would be relevant if someone said you didn't have the right to make rules, but that's not the case.

Youknow, I think this may be the mostinteresting current topic on this board?

Scary.

--------------------
-Tom
-------------------------------
Anything is possible. Except that.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: