Atlantis Online
November 13, 2019, 10:59:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Sephardic Jews Leave Genetic Legacy In Spain - HISTORY

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sephardic Jews Leave Genetic Legacy In Spain - HISTORY  (Read 5128 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2008, 04:06:06 pm »

T H E   I N Q U I S I T I O N

The Conversos of Seville and other cities of Castile, and especially of Aragon, bitterly opposed the Spanish Inquisition.

They rendered considerable service to the king, and held high legal, financial, and military positions.
The government issued an edict directing traditional Jews to live within a ghetto and be separated
from Conversos.

Despite the law, however, the Jews remained in communication with their New Christian brethren.

"They sought ways and means to win them from Catholicism and bring them back to Judaism. They instructed the Marranos in the tenets and ceremonies of the Jewish religion; held meetings in which they taught them what they must believe and observe according to the Mosaic law; and enabled them to circumcise themselves and their children.

They furnished them with prayer-books; explained the fast-days; read with them the history of their people and their Law; announced to them the coming of the Passover; procured unleavened bread for them for that festival, as well as kosher meat throughout the year; encouraged them to live in conformity with the law of Moses, and persuaded them that there was no law and no truth except the Jewish religion."

These actions were listed in charges brought against the Jews by the government of Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella I of Castile. They formed the grounds for the expulsion and banishment of Jews
from the country, so they could not subvert conversos. Jews who did not want to leave Spain accepted baptism.

The historian Henry Kamen's recent Inquisition and Society In Spain in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries questions whether there were such strong links between Conversos and Jewish communities.

Whilst historians such as Yitzhak Baer state,

"the conversos and Jews were one people",

Kamen claims that

"Yet if the conversos were hated by the Christians, the Jews liked them no better."

He documented that

"Jews testified falsely against them [the conversos] when the Inquisition was finally founded."

This issue is being debated by historians.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: