Atlantis Online
April 17, 2024, 09:54:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS IN CUBA
A Report by Andrew Collins
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/atlantiscuba.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mystery of stone 'note' is solved

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery of stone 'note' is solved  (Read 120 times)
Roya Sedghi

« on: November 28, 2008, 04:52:39 am »

Page last updated at 11:35 GMT, Thursday, 27 November 2008

Mystery of stone 'note' is solved  

Experts say the engraving gives a "fascinating glimpse" into history
The mystery of a 90-year-old note inscribed in stone has been solved thanks to a trans-Atlantic e-mail.

Archaeologists appealed for information after finding the rock with the signature: "Carlyle D Chamberlain, Canadian Army" in Denbighshire.

Carlyle DeHaven Chamberlain was stationed nearby in World War I and his grandson e-mailed from the US to offer a full explanation.

His grandfather loved travel and often left reminders in "meaningful places".

Denbighshire council helped put out the appeal for information after the stone was discovered by staff from the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust working at the Penycloddiau Hillfort in the Clwydian Range.   He would look for fossils and arrowheads every chance he got

David Chamberlain, grandson

The full inscription read: "Carlyle D Chamberlain, Canadian Army, Prospect, Kentucky, USA".

It was known that the Canadian Army were stationed at nearby Kinmel camp during World War I.

The soldier's grandson, David Chamberlain, was contacted by a Canadian journalist who read about the appeal.

In an e-mail to Denbighshire's Countryside Service, he wrote: "Although my grandfather was born in Prospect, KY, he joined the Canadian Army and served with them during WWI.

"My grandfather was an avid hiker, outdoors man, and had a keen interest in natural history, archaeology and photography.

"While camped with the soldiers nearby, all it would have taken to spark his interest would be to hear of a trail leading to an ancient burial ground and he would have certainly done his best to check it out.

"He would look for fossils and arrowheads every chance he got."

'Explore'

He added: "My father told me that my grandfather would do things like what he did with the rock and leave them at meaningful places he would visit.

"He loved to travel and explore."

Hillforts conservation officer Samantha Williams said: "It's great to learn so much about Mr Carlyle from his family in America."

Mr Chamberlain said his grandfather went on to serve in World War II as military policeman.

He later became a policeman and also served as curator of Louisville Museum of Natural History.

He died in 1969 and was buried in Louisville.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/north_east/7746502.stm
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: