Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:37:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists to drill beneath oceans
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8063.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Is A Stradivarius Violin Better Than Other Violins?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is A Stradivarius Violin Better Than Other Violins?  (Read 1612 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: November 23, 2008, 08:19:41 am »

Dr. Joseph Nagyvary plays a violin he made in
his lab at Texas A&M University.

(Texas Agricultural Experiment Station photo
by Kathleen Phillips)

Mystery Solved: Chemicals Made Stradivarius Violins Unique, Says Professor

ScienceDaily
(Dec. 28, 2006) —

Answering a question that has lingered for centuries, a team of scientists has proved that chemicals used to
treat the wood used in Stradivarius and Guarneri violins are the reasons for the distinct sound produced by
the world-famous instruments.

The conclusions, published in the journal Nature, have confirmed 30 years of work into the subject by Joseph Nagyvary, professor emeritus of biochemistry at Texas A&M University, who was the first to theorize that chemicals -- not necessarily the wood -- created the unique sound of the two violins. Nagyvary teamed with collaborators Joseph DiVerdi of Colorado State University and Noel Owen of Brigham Young University on the
project.

"This research proves unquestionably that the wood of the great masters was subjected to an aggressive
chemical treatment and the chemicals -- most likely some sort of oxidizing agents -- had a crucial role in
creating the great sound of the Stradivarius and the Guarneri," Nagyvary says.

"Like many discoveries, this one could have been accidental. Perhaps the violin makers were not even aware
of the acoustical effects of the chemicals. Both Stradivari and Guarneri wanted to treat their violins to pre-
vent worms from eating away the wood. They used some chemical agents to protect the wood from worm infestations of the time, and the unintended consequence from these chemicals was a sound like none other,
" he adds.

The team tested several instruments, including violins and cellos, produced by Stradivari and Guarneri from
1717 to around 1741, using spectra analysis and other methods.

The results and those previously reported by Nagyvary showed that two specific areas of the instruments accounted for their unique sound -- chemicals used in the varnish and fillers of the instruments, and the
overall wood treatment process used by Stradivari and Guarneri.

"This is highly gratifying for me, because it proves what I first proposed 30 years ago -- that the chemicals
used to treat instruments and not the unadulterated wood itself -- were the reasons for the great sound of
these instruments," Nagyvary explains.

"I was criticized and ridiculed when I made these claims, and to have undeniable scientific proof that I was
correct is very satisfying, to say the least."

Antonio Stradivari (1644 to 1737) made about 1,200 violins in his lifetime and kept a large inventory of them,
and would only sell one when he was ready to part with it. Today, there are only about 600 Stradivarius
violins remaining and they are valued at up to $5 million each.

Although lesser known, Guarneri del Gesu was a contemporary of Stradivari and his instruments are considered
equal in quality and price by experts.

Nagyvary, a native of Hungary who learned to play the violin by using an instrument that once belonged to
Albert Einstein, has wondered for years how Stradivari, who could barely read and had no scientific training,
could have produced instruments with such a pristine sound.

"I started researching this in the early 1970s and from the beginning, I was convinced that the chemicals
used to treat the instruments were the real key, not the wood itself," he says.

There is still a missing piece of the puzzle, Nagyvary believes.

"The next step is to identify the chemical agents involved. To do that, more precious wood samples are
needed," he adds.

"But in the past, there has been a lack of cooperation from the antique violin business, and that has to be overcome. It may help us to produce violins and other instruments one day that are just as good as the
million-dollar Stradivarius. And this research could also tell us ways to better preserve instruments, too."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adapted from materials provided by Texas A&M University.
Email or share this story:   
Need to cite this story in your essay, paper, or report? Use one of the following formats:
 APA

MLA Texas A&M University (2006, December 28). Mystery Solved: Chemicals Made Stradivarius Violins Unique, Says Professor. ScienceDaily. Retrieved November 23, 2008, from

http://www.sciencedaily.com­ /releases/2006/11/061129151126.htm
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:28:01 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: