Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 02:24:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The House on Willow's Creek

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The House on Willow's Creek  (Read 1682 times)
Crissy Herrell
Superhero Member

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2009, 03:09:59 pm »

Hi Unknown,

I think you are selling the work short. The problem with a lot of the new authors is that they aren't familiar with the classic, so it is refreshing to find writers with an appreciation for gothic horror.  Keep up the good work.
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 10:12:54 pm »

Thanks Crissy

I do enjoy reading the classics and am always building my library of hard-bound editions. It is nice to know that even someone who is well-read can still enjoy my stories.
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Crissy Herrell
Superhero Member

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2009, 01:04:42 pm »

Who are your influences? Besides Poe, I mean, I can tell you have read a lot of him.
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2009, 10:56:11 am »

Hi Chrissy

Who do you enjoy reading?

To answer your question, I have to say I will never forget the day I discovered Robert E. Howard, standing in a little book store in Ashland, Kentucky. I was drawn to the artwork of Frank Frazetta on the cover. In that one moment, I discovered two of my heroes, a moment that in many ways shaped the course of my life.

I wish I could say that I was inspired to write by great literary figures of the past... but the truth is I was more influenced by comic books and the wonderful imagination of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

My very first attempts at writing were poems and love songs... inspired by my first love. One of first things I wrote,(besides love songs) was an English assignment, it was a long poem based on the Cantebury Tales, I wish I still had it.

I was an avid reader not only of fiction, but of history, philosphy, psychology and sociology. I learned far my in the library than I ever did in a classroom. Some of the giants of the past that left a lasting impression on me are the political philosophy of Rouseau, the revolutionary ideas of Buckminister Fuller, the sociology of Margret Meade, the psychiatry and other discoveries of Wilhelm Reich. I will never forget the day I saw John Michell's, View Over Atlantis on a shelf in the general store. It left a profound impact on me and opened me to the mysteries of the past. In Religion/philosphy -- the Toa, and Kabalah have informed much of my thinking.

I always loved Dickens and had an unusual ability to grasp Shakespeare, were others struggled with the language. I find the English of King James, so much more evocative and powerful... for instance the new translations of the Bible, to me, just fall flat on the ear. Another writer that profoundly infleunced my thinking was Frank Herbert, a true genius. His ideas about the effect of environment on culture and the nature of politics have left the mark on my meager intellect.  

It was only with the advent of the internet that I became familiar with most of the classics, especially the Greek, but also Hindu, Germanic and Celtic. I have spent many long hours at Sacred Texts.com, lol. I think that a reading of Blavastky,(whether you agree with her or not) can broaden anyone's mind.  

I also discovered the writing of HP. Lovecraft, (a contemporary and fellow contributer to Weird Tales with Robert E. Howard), online. Lovecraft's genius was in the creation of an occult world/history for his characters to inhabit. Recently I discovered the Bronte sisters I find there writing wonderful, I also recently discovered CS. Lewis. Some modern writers that I read are of course King, and Rice, but also John Norman's Gor series. I have been spending more time reading political books than I did in the past, for instance Bob Woodward. Sometimes I find a real treasure of philosophy/ history or comparative religion to read. But I can't read as much as I used to, I find myself falling asleep and I find it difficult to read for any length of time on the internet.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 11:12:39 am by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Zodiac
Superhero Member

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2009, 07:20:14 am »

Congrats, buddy, how many stories is that you have had published now?  I hope you are collecting the print copies.
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2009, 10:07:05 am »

Hi Zodiac

I think I have about four poems and two stories. Did you hear that Del TOrio is making "In the mountians of Madness"?

Here's a link

http://www.deltorofilms.com/ProjectPage.php?projectid=9
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2009, 03:02:57 pm »

You have more than two stories published, don't you?  I think I can count at least three! 

Congrats, and hope that there are many more to come. In fact, you should get an agent and see if you can sell some movie rights!   Wink
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2009, 05:13:37 pm »

Hi Rachel

Oh, yah... I forgot about "The Strange Diary," but it is really not all that impressive since I haven't actually sold a story yet, I have only submitted to non-paying markets. I was just at the Weird Tales sight and I thought one of there comments was telling... to paraphrase, it said, that it seemed to them that more people were trying to write for them then were subscribing. Most of the paying markets only except mailed manuscripts and take about three months to get an exception or rejection. Which makes it problematic to shop your stories around.

How is your writing coming along?
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Crissy Herrell
Superhero Member

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2009, 08:34:00 pm »

Hi Chrissy

Who do you enjoy reading?

To answer your question, I have to say I will never forget the day I discovered Robert E. Howard, standing in a little book store in Ashland, Kentucky. I was drawn to the artwork of Frank Frazetta on the cover. In that one moment, I discovered two of my heroes, a moment that in many ways shaped the course of my life.

I wish I could say that I was inspired to write by great literary figures of the past... but the truth is I was more influenced by comic books and the wonderful imagination of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

My very first attempts at writing were poems and love songs... inspired by my first love. One of first things I wrote,(besides love songs) was an English assignment, it was a long poem based on the Cantebury Tales, I wish I still had it.

I was an avid reader not only of fiction, but of history, philosphy, psychology and sociology. I learned far my in the library than I ever did in a classroom. Some of the giants of the past that left a lasting impression on me are the political philosophy of Rouseau, the revolutionary ideas of Buckminister Fuller, the sociology of Margret Meade, the psychiatry and other discoveries of Wilhelm Reich. I will never forget the day I saw John Michell's, View Over Atlantis on a shelf in the general store. It left a profound impact on me and opened me to the mysteries of the past. In Religion/philosphy -- the Toa, and Kabalah have informed much of my thinking.

I always loved Dickens and had an unusual ability to grasp Shakespeare, were others struggled with the language. I find the English of King James, so much more evocative and powerful... for instance the new translations of the Bible, to me, just fall flat on the ear. Another writer that profoundly infleunced my thinking was Frank Herbert, a true genius. His ideas about the effect of environment on culture and the nature of politics have left the mark on my meager intellect.  

It was only with the advent of the internet that I became familiar with most of the classics, especially the Greek, but also Hindu, Germanic and Celtic. I have spent many long hours at Sacred Texts.com, lol. I think that a reading of Blavastky,(whether you agree with her or not) can broaden anyone's mind.  

I also discovered the writing of HP. Lovecraft, (a contemporary and fellow contributer to Weird Tales with Robert E. Howard), online. Lovecraft's genius was in the creation of an occult world/history for his characters to inhabit. Recently I discovered the Bronte sisters I find there writing wonderful, I also recently discovered CS. Lewis. Some modern writers that I read are of course King, and Rice, but also John Norman's Gor series. I have been spending more time reading political books than I did in the past, for instance Bob Woodward. Sometimes I find a real treasure of philosophy/ history or comparative religion to read. But I can't read as much as I used to, I find myself falling asleep and I find it difficult to read for any length of time on the internet.

My favorite writer is F. Scott Fitzgerald.  If you haven't read him, I highly recommend his work, something other than the Great Gatsby, which has been done to death.  There is a wistfulness and melancholy about Fitzgerald's work that I find perfectly apt in comparison with real life, how good times tend to always a bit too fleeting and how tragedy, sooner or later wins out among us all.  

Count me one of the many who doesn't really "get" Shakespeare.  Other than Romeo and Juliet, I can't think of one he wrote that I liked.  It's not the language, I just get the feeling his chartacters tend to make all their own problems for themselves - other than A Midsummer Night's Dream, that was just weird.

Plato strikes me as a crushed idealist, that's why I am not so sure that his Atlantis actually existed, seems like one of many versions of a vanished utopia (though Athens, in his story was actually considered the more idealized civiliation).

I don't like many modern writers.  I really think that J.D. Salinger is over-rated, I can't see why so many people relate to Catcher in the Rye. I actually liked A Saeparate Peace a lot better when it comes to youth coming of age.

I like Poe, I have tried Lovecraft, like his atmospherics, not crazy about his lack of character development!

What do you like spoecially about New View Over Atlantis?  I have the book but haven't read it yet.

Crissy
Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2009, 01:06:10 pm »

Hi Rachel

Oh, yah... I forgot about "The Strange Diary," but it is really not all that impressive since I haven't actually sold a story yet, I have only submitted to non-paying markets. I was just at the Weird Tales sight and I thought one of there comments was telling... to paraphrase, it said, that it seemed to them that more people were trying to write for them then were subscribing. Most of the paying markets only except mailed manuscripts and take about three months to get an exception or rejection. Which makes it problematic to shop your stories around.

How is your writing coming along?

I have been working so much I haven't had much time to write lately, although I still have a lot of ideas for new stories!  That's the way it always works, your best ideas happen when you haven't got any time.

Well, don't sell your writing short.  Piling up all those stories that you are getting published should make it easier for you to find an agent.  Did you ever think of putting together a writing resune, then sending it off?

Go figure Weird Tales is getting more sumbmissions than subscribers!  We are in a really bad recession right now. But things will turn around, soon, I hope.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:06:30 pm by Rachel Dearth » Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2009, 02:46:22 pm »

Hi Chrissy

The View Over Atlantis, is the original version of the The New View over Atlantis, if I am not mistaken. What I liked about it was that it opened my eyes to the cultures of the past, and their extraodinarily different world-view. That there is a lost art/science which we have mostly forgotten, one of spiritual dimensions.

Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2009, 02:48:22 pm »

Hi Rachel

Are your new ideas political satire too?
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2009, 08:15:04 pm »

No, I usually write horror fiction.  Mine usually takes place in modern day, though.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: