Atlantis Online
April 20, 2024, 07:10:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Were seafarers living here 16,000 years ago?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34805893-6a53-46f5-a864-a96d53991051&k=39922

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The House on Willow's Creek

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The House on Willow's Creek  (Read 1824 times)
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2008, 11:54:10 pm »

Hi Rachel

It was a couple of people on Writing.Com, that said that... sometimes I think they are jealous. But that could be my ego talking.

Your right about the sister... I should add another scene to give her more dialogue... I had a library scene in mind, were she talks about the occult books her father was reading.  Which would give the story more depth and mystery... but would probably make it much longer.  I also thought that one paragraph for the Mothers funeral was way to short.

Well, really, we can do monsters all year... it's just more fun and attracts more attention at halloween.

I would LOVE to do monsters all year. 

I think the scene you described with the sister sounds interesting and might add something to the story.  I don't think you need to add anymore about the mom's funeral though, funerals are depressing and drag a story down.

Yeah, screw some of the opinions from writing.com.  Some people tend to complain just for the sake of complaining. It's not the little details of a story that are most important but whether the story works.  And this one does.
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2008, 09:46:23 am »

Hi Rachel

Thanks, I think the library scene would probably help add a little mystery and suspence.
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Wind

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 12:16:29 pm »

Enjoyed the read, thanks Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2008, 11:47:36 am »

Your welcome Wind. Glad you enjoyed it.
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 12:12:28 pm »

I enjoyed it, too, but it still would have benefited from some more sex in it, to spice things up.  Angry
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 01:19:07 pm »

Hi Pagan

You are insatiable... LOL

Thanks for reading it, dear
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2009, 09:50:04 pm »

Damn right I'm instiable, and I'm pretty hot, too!
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2009, 05:11:12 pm »

Hi Pagan

You are hot... maybe just a little too hot to handle. I have been writing a story about a nun and an incubus. Believe it or not, I have thought of you often when considering what happens in it. Obliviously it is ripe for sex, but also, I have been thinking about what I want to say with my stories. I mean that I would like for my stories to have a purpose... not just flights of fancy, or as one of my favorite authors, Borroughs once said, "A waist of reams and reams of perfectly good imagination."

Not that sex is not a perfectly legitimate aspect of the human condition to explore, but with some stories other aspects of love/feeling are appropriate. A story is not a story to me, if it does not touch on the human condition and what is the essence of the human condition if not one of the many faces of love?

We live in such a contorted world, an artifice, a cage, of are own making... seperated from the natural, and exiled from our true selves by the very capacity the raises us above the animal, our intellect.

I have always felt like an outsider... many things that those around me have found important never mattered to me... I could never understand others or society in general.  I will try to explain a little of what I mean, but I don't really think I can. I think society suffers from a sort of a mass misconception, a cultural flaw... the predominance of the material over the spiritual... the belief that two mansions are  better than one, the acquistion of wealth as the ultimate goal. That the individual is first, that one should raise oneself up despite the consequence to others and society.

It is obvious we have built a house of cards, a flimsy plastic framework that could easily be toppled by the slightest touch of the hand of fate. Factions, factions, a fragmented society tearing itself apart for lack of commonality, A shared sense of purpose.

Anyways...

"Several species of small furry animals grooving with a pict in a cave."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:34:14 pm by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2009, 02:02:59 pm »

"The Shades of Willow's Creek" has just been accepted for publication in Bewildering Stories, tentatively scheduled for issue 331. The only change they wanted was for me to name the sister in the story. I named her Amelia.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:27:59 pm by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Heather Delaria
Superhero Member

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2009, 07:45:44 pm »

Great news, congratulations! Maybe this is the start of a good year for year, writing wise!

Hope so, anyway.

Bright Blessings,

Heather
Report Spam   Logged

"An it harm none, do what ye will."
-the Wiccan Rede
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 11:51:34 am »

Thanks Heather

I really appreciate the support.
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 01:18:49 pm »

Congratulations.  The sister needed a name anyway, as she was a pivotal character in the story.

Do you have a link to this publication so we can check it out?

Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 09:26:55 am »

Hi Veronica

The editor suggested the I give her a name like Lenore or Annabelle Lee... an obvious, though tongue in cheek referance to Poe. I am not sure whether that's good or bad, I mean whether he thought the story was too Poe-like or good, because it was Poe like. There was very little comment on the story, much less than with either Anna or the Devil's Pen.

Heres the link, http://www.bewilderingstories.com/

You can look up stories by title or author, also I have a bio here.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:18:22 pm by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Crissy Herrell
Superhero Member

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 01:07:36 pm »

Good story, it has nice gothic elements about it and actually does remind one of Poe.
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 01:49:15 pm »

Hi Crissy

I really appreciate you taking the time to read it.

Thank you for acknowledging the similarities to Poe, but I have to say, that although it has Poe-like elements it really lacks the intellectual and poetic genius of Poe. Also the exquiste irony, the chilling depiction of growing madness and mounting suspence of Poe's horror.

I do aspire to write something that is truely suspenceful and scary... it is quite difficult, actually.

I don't really know were the story came from... I just started writing and kind of let the story tell itself to me. I seem to do better that way. I have tried to plot stories but always seem to reach a dead end that way. I am relatively new to writing and I guess I will have to learn to plot stories.

Thanks again for reading it
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:50:12 pm by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: