Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 09:34:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Elizabethan Astrology

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elizabethan Astrology  (Read 7461 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: October 14, 2008, 03:55:07 pm »

ELISABETH I

John Dee (July 13, 1527–1609) was a noted English mathematician, astronomer, astrologer, geographer, occultist, and consultant to Queen Elizabeth I. He also devoted much of his life to alchemy, divination, and Hermetic philosophy.

Dee straddled the worlds of science and magic just as they were becoming distinguishable. One of the most learned men of his time, he had lectured to crowded halls at the University of Paris when still in his early twenties. John was an ardent promoter of mathematics, a respected astronomer and a leading expert in navigation, having trained many of those who would conduct England's voyages of discovery (he coined the term "British Empire").

At the same time, he immersed himself deeply in magic and Hermetic philosophy, devoting the last third of his life almost exclusively to these pursuits. For Dee, as with many of his contemporaries, these activities were not contradictory, but particular aspects of a consistent world-view.

The idea of a British Empire dates from the times of Queen Elizabeth I, House of Tudor, Wales, and her Welsh wizard, Dr.John Dee
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: