Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 07:57:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Atlantic Ocean Catastophe

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlantic Ocean Catastophe  (Read 1285 times)
Tempest
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 03:43:45 pm »

The Anasazi have a legend that talks of a fiery sky serpent destroying the civilizations on the islands of the Carribean, or more specifically Tulapin (Turtle Island), their homeland. One can imagine an elongate meteor, rotating as it enters the atmosphere, creating a wiggly, snake like trail. The speed at which a meteor enters the atmosphere also gives the visual impression of the speed of a striking snake.

From Andrew Collins book; "Gateway to Atlantis" we get the following interesting information.

Many native American traditions tell of:…a moon fell out of the sky, onto the earth. During it's passage through the sky it looked like a feiry snake, there were terrible earth quakes and the day turned into night, there was a gigantic flood and a formidable rain that lasted many days, many people died.

This most likely describes the impact of the comet that created the Carolina Bays.

"The water having poured over the land (2km thick ice sheet collapses into the sea),

human dwellings disappeared. The wind carried them away.

They fastened several boats to one another.

The waves traversed the Rocky Mountains.

A great wind drove them.

Presently the moon and the sun disappeared (atmospheric dust, post impact).

Men died of a terrible heat (firestorms post impact).

They also perished in the waves.

Men bewailed what happened.

Uprooted trees floated about in the waves.

Men having fastened boats together trembled with cold.

The above translation is attributed to the native tribe called the Esquimaux of Canada. Just one of hundreds of flood traditions that many scholars have collected.

Also from further south in the Carolinas we have the following very interesting tradition:

"a star fell to the earth, and rain soon followed (oceanic impact, causing vast amounts of water to evaporate).

Days and days of rain quenched the fire.

Great holes burned in the earth by the fire were filled,

forming a great inland sea.

A number of cultures retained stories of impact induced winter. Most telling of such lore this author has read are these amazingly informative tales of the Yakuts:

. . . is said to be "the daughter of the Devil and to have had a tail in the early days". If it approaches the earth, it means destruction, storm and frost, even in the summer; . . . , the daughter of the Devil is a beautiful girl ... she is the bride and the sweetheart of Satan's son ÜRGEL (Pleiades). When these two stars come close to one another, it is a bad omen; their eager quivering, their discontinuous panting cause great disasters: storms, blizzards, gales. When they unite, fathom deep snow will fall even in the summer, and all living beings, men, animals and trees will perish . . .

…… five planets went out of their courses. In the night, stars fell like rain. The earth shook. The E and Loh became dry.

What is remarkable about these particular tales is the conjunction of several pieces of information. From these lines we gather that a comet with a tail came close enough to influence weather on Earth--i.e. deadly storms, frost and deep snow in summer. Also, we are told that this is most likely to occur if the comet appears close to the Pleiades. In short, these legends accurately describe what can now be inferred from astronomical data on comet Encke and the ring of debris its progenitor strew about the Sun, according to the above information; into five significant chunks. "Stars falling like rain" indicates a large amount of debris entering the atmosphere, "the earth shook" suggests a sizable impact.

As the above example suggests, contemporary researchers need to be wary of assuming our predecessors' folk memories of astral events relate to bodies familiar to our time. There is considerable reason to suspect that the majority of the planets namesakes were comets--probably of the Encke family. Human belief systems have been greatly influenced by the phenomena attending the progressive break-up, over thousands of years, of this large comet. The idea of a wrathful sky god or star positions influencing events on Earth are legacies of this influence.

Recent studies on ice cores in the Antarctic have found numerous Iridium layers during the last 100,000 years. Often these layers of Iridium are mixed with Volcanic ash, confusing the origin of the Iridium. Iridium is commonly found in meteors, but is an extremely rare mineral on Earth. This mixing suggests that the impact of a Comet or Meteor precipitated volcanic eruptions. Scientists have also found a direct correlation between Iridium layers and the beginning of many ice age events suggesting that the combined effect of a comet impact and the resultant volcanic eruptions had a big part to play in turning points in human history.

Comets are not the only cause of major changes in the earths population over the last 15,000 years. It appears that sea level rises since the end of the last Ice Age have not been as gradual as previously believed. Sudden sea level rises appear to have happened a number of times in the past, destroying coastal trading ports causing a shift in surviving populations.

http://users.on.net/~mkfenn/Catastrophes.htm
http://www.returntoatlantis.com/retc/images.html
Report Spam   Logged

"To Thine own Heart be True."

Tempest
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 03:58:27 pm »

Tempest,

Atlantis could be around that area for obvious reasons .But there has been surprisingly little interest in Madeira by Atlantologists. I think Madeira should be studied more .I personally have not looked into it much .In my research I have not found anything that connects Atlantis with Madeira apart from it's usual inclusion as a location for Atlantis alongside the Canaries and the Azores.  

I don't think that there is little interest in it, I just think that the areas people are talking about - Canaries, Azores, Cape Verde, Madeiras, etc. are really deep in the ocean and you have to have lots of funds to really do some expeditions into those places.  You have to rent or lease a submersible, because you can't use divers in those areas.

Looked on the web for a Madeiras/Atlantis connection.  Other than references to the general relationship, there doesn't seem to be anything of substance - sucks! 
Report Spam   Logged

"To Thine own Heart be True."

Mark of Australia

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 05:39:43 pm »

Tempest,

yeah ,It is so frustrating about Madeira. I have done the Atlantis/Madeira search many a time and always the same result. It's really amazing that of all the crazy locations given for Atlantis, the most obvious location that matches the description closest doesn't really get a serious mention.

I know of some people in my hometown who came from Madeira and still have ties ,and they say almost nonchalantly that they are Atlanteans,and Madeira is part of Atlantis.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: