Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 07:46:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ancient Crash, Epic Wave
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/14/healthscience/web.1114meteor.php?page=1

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Why, Atlantis...?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why, Atlantis...?  (Read 1896 times)
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: May 15, 2007, 02:42:29 am »

I can't remember when this all began for me.  I wasn't much interested in lost civlziations back in grade school, nor in high school either.  In college, my emphasis was on Egypt and art history, still can't remember that this began the, only that I got the feeling that something was missing from what I was being told, that there was one lost chapter in history.

As I child, my parents took me on a car trip to Florida. I think I was eight at the time.  We visited NASA, went to Disneyland, of course, but the one thing that stuck out the most for me was the Atlantic Ocean. So deep, so blue, it stretched out in an endless fashion into the horizon and would not end until half a world away, in Europe.

I envy those of you who live out there, I truly do, storms and all. There is something strange about that ocean, there always has been for me, and there always will be.  I know we haven't found out 1/10th of it's secrets, those who claim we have merely demonstrate bravado.

No other myth or element in history has struck the same chord with me and the odd thing is, I can't actually say when it all began - the date it started, the thing that first inspired my interest.  Perhaps it was that vision I had of the ocean as a child, or something I read in a textbook back in college, or maybe it is simply a calling from another time. I know only that I am haunted by this image from another time, and I see elements of that forgotten chapter of humanity's past all arond me, even still.

And so, I ask, why Atlantis..?  What draws us to it that it has consumed so many of us with the same passion..?

Cheers,

Dawn
Report Spam   Logged

"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:54:10 am »

Could it be that we are all former Atlanteans?  Do you believe in reincarnation?
Report Spam   Logged
BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 12:58:15 pm »

I can't remember when this all began for me.  I wasn't much interested in lost civlziations back in grade school, nor in high school either.  In college, my emphasis was on Egypt and art history, still can't remember that this began the, only that I got the feeling that something was missing from what I was being told, that there was one lost chapter in history.
As I child, my parents took me on a car trip to Florida. I think I was eight at the time.  We visited NASA, went to Disneyland, of course, but the one thing that stuck out the most for me was the Atlantic Ocean. So deep, so blue, it stretched out in an endless fashion into the horizon and would not end until half a world away, in Europe.
I envy those of you who live out there, I truly do, storms and all. There is something strange about that ocean, there always has been for me, and there always will be.  I know we haven't found out 1/10th of it's secrets, those who claim we have merely demonstrate bravado.
No other myth or element in history has struck the same chord with me and the odd thing is, I can't actually say when it all began - the date it started, the thing that first inspired my interest.  Perhaps it was that vision I had of the ocean as a child, or something I read in a textbook back in college, or maybe it is simply a calling from another time. I know only that I am haunted by this image from another time, and I see elements of that forgotten chapter of humanity's past all arond me, even still.
And so, I ask, why Atlantis..?  What draws us to it that it has consumed so many of us with the same passion..?
Cheers,Dawn

Please read my BLUE  Subscript: the Atlanteans were AFRAID of teh Sea & Oceans they even had stationed CHERUBS & Guardsmen called  CHERUBS EYE Sentinells on the Acropolis, to warn agains Tidal waves and Sesmic waves in advance

In 855 bc   Cry  the assyrian King Sal,amasser-3 captured Ras- Aden(= Ad-Land or Atlantis.)and immediately killed 1.000 PILLARS of Ad-Irem, thus the PILLARS of Hercules were no Mountain tops or stone Stellae but white arabian Elephants that as Steeds of Poseidon supposedly caused the- EarthQuakes

Cry  The innocent  =white=Elephant was an Avatar of the silvery Moon,  and a waterspirit(" Phul"- Pillars.)was demonised and later became the fire-spirit Devil, ( with still Poseidon's TRIDENT-in-Hand !)  The Atlantis disaster refugies later ciolonized EUROPE and THUS became the parent - if WESTERN-civilisation, THAT's  WHY !  Grin
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 01:10:21 pm by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 01:12:50 pm »

Blue,

That may be true for Aden in 855 BC, - there is NO Ocean there - you want to call it Atlantis,
go ahead.....

But I believe we are discussing another time and another place, here:

- 9,000 B.C.

- A Mid Atlantic Ocean Landmass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom,

You can count me as a Reincarnationist, too.....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 01:29:20 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 06:57:12 am »

Dear, . . . BIANCA,

PLATO's Stories were reproduced orally by a Cantor who read a text which was copied by hand.

There is little difference in pronounciation, between Ad-Land/ Athe-Land and At-Lantis  But The case is that Atlantis is a Latin transcription of the Greek original (a-) THETA-Land or better THETYS- Land at the THETYS SEA.

From various other sources than PLATO, we allready know that This Sea of Atlas or the Atlantic(-Ocean.) was the MARE- ERYTRAEAN Sea. Which is today the GULF  of ADEN.

The CONFUSION of the Sea-of Atlas with the OCEAn of Atlas, is easily explained: These SEA " Married " in the Myth.
Thus when the( Indian-)OCANUS married the( South-Arabian-)THETYS-Sea, They begat the Sea of Atlantis or the GULF of Ad. In other versions, the SEA of PONTOS is the origin or " geological-FATHER of the OCEANic Sea."

This" Marriage amongst the PRE- Gods or TITANS is very recent geologically it happened exactly in 1075 bc when the Moon struck earth and the new CRACKs formed the Oceans .  This is not 9.000/ 10.000 bc. but created a Volcanic Island at Aden that became the Fable " Atlantis": please  Read my sub-Script !

Sincerely "   Cry BlueHue "   Cry dd 14 Jan. 2008
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 09:54:21 am »

Blue:

It still does NOT matter:

You are looking at ADEN 855 BC

I am looking for a large  ARCHIPAELAGO  in the ATLANTIC Ocean, circa 9,000 BC

Unfortunately, for Aden, nobody is going there to find any proofs of your theory.

or any others', for that matter......

EVERYBODY is doing ARMCHAIR RESEARCH!!!

Here is the ONLY,

PHYSICAL RESEARCH:

As for The ATLANTIS IN THE ATLANTIC OCEAN, people are diving and conducting tests continually. 

Check Greg and Lora Little's threads and see all that they have already found.

So, from now on, keep your eye on THESE threads, my friend!!!

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1962.0.html

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,3217.0.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 10:21:50 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:50:29 pm »

ADEN: 855 bc (= Ad-land.)are date & place of the final destruction of At-lantis.

I wonder what strange PHENOMENON like a common oversight that the( Latinized-) name:  At-Landis transcribed wrongly from the Greek Theta-land, (= Thetys-Sea !)that the totally Biased underwater-archaeologists, let dive for Atlantis in the Atlantic,

whilst PLATO clearly stated that his THETHA-Land or Ad-Land was situated by the egyptians and by Herodotus in the Gulf-of- ADEN( which was named differently then ofcourse, linke PUNT and Mare-Erytraeum .)" BlueHue". dd 1`4  Jan.2008    Ps well I guess Edgar Cayce and Donelly had a bigger following than Plato !

Ps.2 The marriage of the Sea of Atlas or  Miss THETYS- SEA with OCEANUS gave her the new family name of  Mrs. ATLANTIC -Ocean.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:59:25 pm by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:09:29 pm »

To quote James Bramwell:

quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Either Atlantis is an island in the Atlantic or it's not Atlantis at all." -James Bramwell, Lost Atlantis,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report Spam   Logged

Gwen Parker
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 04:30:38 pm »

Yeah, I really have to say that it has to be in the Atlantic Ocean someplace, too.  In fact, I really think that we are wasting time by looking at so many of these Med-based theories. 

How many ocean expeditions have been done in the Atlantic anyway?  Not many, actually.  There have been a few by the coasts of Bimini, the Bahamas, Spain and Morocco, but that's all.  The ocean is too deep in most of the areas of the Atlantic to have been explored thoroughly.

If I were to put my money on something, I would say that the Canary Islands region needs a lot more exploration!  Whole sections of the island have fallen off into the seas and the story of the Guanches sounds a bit like the story of Atlantis.  Morocco/Northwest Africa could have been part of the Atlantean Empire.
Report Spam   Logged
Horus

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 12:34:37 pm »

Hi Gwen,

it's not that many expeditions have been made, it's that a host of them are not well-documented publically.  For example, the Atlantis Organization of Bill Donato has had 19 expeditions to the Grand Bahma Bank and Cay Sal Bank.  Then there's Zink's Poseidia expeditions throughout the 70s and Joan Hanley's Gaea Project trips in the 90s. 

The quality of the expeditions also has to be considered.  If you are referring to multi-million-dollar projects involving large ocean-going vessels and deep-sea submersibles on the scale of Robert Ballard's Titanic expeditions, then yes I'd have to agree that there have been between few and none.  Deep sea floor exploration does happen often but not with the intent of finding artifacts because they are typically marine-geological or biological expeditions.  I know because I keep tabs on their press with the hope that one will have stumbled across an "anomally".

It's worthwile to look at topographical maps of the Atlantic ocean basin.  The only sizeable landmasses that can be observed are the Azores Plateau and Grand Bahama Bank.  The Canaries and Madeira had some larger chunks as seamounts jutting steeply from a deeper seafloor but these are not on the scale of Plato's capital island.  They were still probably Atlantean territories nevertheless. 

-H
Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

Horus, how does one keep track of all the deepsea expeditions in the Atlantic?  Seldom are they publicized and many are by private companies, which don't often make their movements known.

Also, have you heard of any anomalies in the Mid- to Eastern-Atlantic?
Report Spam   Logged

The Lamb of God, or Lion of Judah, opens the first four of the seven seals, which summons forth four beings that ride out on white, red, black, and pale horses:  Conquest, War, Famine, and Death.
Horus

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 11:11:44 pm »

Horseman, according to my experience I must disagree; one just has to know where to look but such vigilance can be tedious!  I have been too busy of late to track it closely, but below are just a few examples of what I have posted to the groups from such sources in the past, and they were not culled from mainstream outlets because most of the world is like "Big #%@&ing Deal" on this stuff!  What does this have to do with compelling reality TV shows like 'Elimidate'?

Now some folks are nice enough to sort a lot of this stuff out for us (if you trust them to be thorough) but you must scan through their link collection for the gems daily too. The Morien Institute is one fine example.

Anomallies in the eastern Atlantic? No unfortunately not but I am very interested in that area. Weird stuff like a "Bulls head" and some rectilinear anomallies in the Abyssal Plains of the Western Atlantic though.

Underwater Sand Avalanches Linked to Sea-Level Changes

Ocean expedition to 'Lost City' links land, sea

or this whole article copied and pasted from my archive since the hyperlink is defunct:

Friday, July 22, 2005

Geologist mapping unseen regions of underseas terrain

By JAY LINDSAY
Associated Press Writer

BOSTON— When geologist Page Valentine steams out for a trip off the state's picturesque coastline, he's far more interested in what he can't see.

Valentine has been using sophisticated sonar to map 1,400 square miles of ocean floor off the Massachusetts coast for 11 years.

He's discovered networks of underwater ridges and valleys, the remains of long-forgotten shipwrecks and underwater gouges left by ancient icebergs.

Valentine sees the maps as a basic tool for government regulators who must manage the miles of hidden land. The maps can also point fishermen toward productive areas, direct more efficient placement of underwater cables and give researchers the location of vulnerable or changing ocean habitats.

"These submerged lands off our shores are a huge area about which we know very little. ... You need a map," said Valentine, a researcher with the U.S. Geological Survey in Woods Hole.

The project to map the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary and the area around it began in 1994, shortly after it was created. The 840 square mile sanctuary is a busy shipping and fishing area about 21 miles east of Boston where marine life and habitats are under federal protection.

The first phase mapped the general topography of the sea floor. The second captured photographic images of the bottom. The third set, to be completed in about 2008, will map plant and animal life and habitats.

The ocean floor is mapped by equipment that sends 60 to 120 sonar beams bouncing off the bottom as a boat sweeps the surface. The sonar can measure the varying depths, as well as how hard the floor is in certain spots, with a weaker signal indicating a softer surface, such as mud.

Researchers are also using a sophisticated camera system which floats centimeters above the seabed, filming and taking pictures to help map the bottom's biology and geology.

The years of study have uncovered gouges in the floor, kilometers long, left from icebergs that grounded in the shallow waters of Stellwagen Bank 10,000 years ago and melted.

More than 50 shipwrecks have also been found, Valentine said, though identifying specific ships is difficult because the resolution of the mapping isn't fine enough - the wrecks simply appear as unusual shapes on the bottom.

The maps helped workers take a southern route around a rough-bottomed area off Jeffreys Ledge, just off Cape Ann, and lay a fiber-optic cable connecting Europe to Massachusetts.

The mapping has also better defined the boundaries of underwater ledges, as well as areas of hard and soft bottom, of which fishermen have had general knowledge for centuries. More precise mapping helps fishermen better approach the margins of rough terrain, where fish often congregate, without snagging their gear. Or, it can help them avoid rough areas altogether, said Bob Reid, chief of coastal ecology at the Northeast Fisheries Science Center.

The mapping can give clues about where commercially valuable species can be found. Certain fish, such as yellowtail flounder, find food near sandy-bottomed areas. Cod often prefer hard gravel bottoms. All fish are dependent on the ocean floor, and managers want to determine which areas most need protection.

"Some habitat types are more vulnerable than others and we want to know that," Reid said

Besides scientists, Valentine has given the maps to commercial and recreational fisherman and whale watch operators interested in showing customers the lay of the land they're floating over. Valentine said the enthusiasm that greets the maps can be explained as excitement over a look at what's always has been hidden.

"It's like solving a mystery," he said.

source: http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050722/APN/507220852

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:15:03 pm by Horus » Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 08:14:33 pm »

Horseman, according to my experience I must disagree; one just has to know where to look but such vigilance can be tedious!  I have been too busy of late to track it closely, but below are just a few examples of what I have posted to the groups from such sources in the past, and they were not culled from mainstream outlets because most of the world is like "Big #%@&ing Deal" on this stuff!  What does this have to do with compelling reality TV shows like 'Elimidate'?

Horus, thanks for the links.  I have to admit that I was aware of most of them - the undersea vents, undersea avalanches.  True, the science information is well-publicized and it is easy to keep track of most of it if you follow the news.

What I was referring to was the expeditions of the private companies that don't make their intentions known.  As I said, there is no place to really keep track of their movements, and who knows what, if anything they have found?

Robert Ballard has also done a lot of Atlantic Ocean exploration and is convinced that there is no Atlantis.  Are there other explorers with a similar deepsea track record, with maybe a different point of view?
Report Spam   Logged

The Lamb of God, or Lion of Judah, opens the first four of the seven seals, which summons forth four beings that ride out on white, red, black, and pale horses:  Conquest, War, Famine, and Death.
Horus

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 12:20:51 pm »

What I was referring to was the expeditions of the private companies that don't make their intentions known.  As I said, there is no place to really keep track of their movements, and who knows what, if anything they have found?

OK Horseman so how do you know about them if they don't make their intentions known?  Or are you speculating?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Reading 3253-2
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 01:53:16 pm »

Are you trying to suggest that these expeditions don't take place?
Companies drill for oil in the Atlantic, lay cable, even conduct salvage operations of undersea wrecks and seldom make their operations known.

Point is, the only expeditions that actually do make their results known are the scientific ones, and, incidentally, I still haven't seen any results from the one to the Mid-Atlantic last year.  The point of all this being that it is difficult to keep track of all the work being done in the Atlantic. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: