Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 03:50:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?
Research suggests our ancestors traveled the oceans 70,000 years ago
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20-did-humans-colonize-the-world-by-boat

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Anthrax suspect, scientist, kills self as FBI closes in

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anthrax suspect, scientist, kills self as FBI closes in  (Read 393 times)
Measured Justice

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 02:52:23 am »

Text of the previous interview with Posner:

OLBERMANN: This is our conspiracy nightmare come to full fruit. The FBI source says the White House pressured them to blame it on al Qaeda or somebody in the Middle East. Would there also have been other FBI sources who would have folded under that pressure? How much did the FBI actually drag its collective feet, revealing what they had to have already known about where that anthrax came from?

POSNER: Oh, no question that there were sources and officials inside the FBI that would have caved to pressure from the White House. Look, I've been a critic of the FBI for years, from the time they did the Muir investigation and the Oklahoma bombings and other investigations that they've bungled. They are very, very sensitive to pressure coming in from the White House.

Remember, put yourself back in the time. Keith, this is October, two weeks after the biggest attack on American soil ever. Largest loss of death from a terror attacks. They are under tremendous pressure. Everybody is worried about the next shoe dropping. Is there going to be another terror strike coming up? Anthrax is out there. And you've got the president of the United States saying, I want this tied to al Qaeda. There is little doubt that this pushed some people either down the wrong investigative path—it slowed up the real path from being found, who was responsible for it, and they did know, as you said a moment ago, that this was weapons-grade anthrax. They had not gone, the hijackers, from box cutters to weapons-grade anthrax that fast.

But nobody, including Mueller, had the guts to stand up to the president and say, this is just wrong.

OLBERMANN: From the "New York Daily News" story to the "New York Times" story that the evidence against this late Dr. Ivins is circumstantial at best. There is nobody easier to convict than a dead man. Are you sold on the idea that he was involved? Are you sold on the idea of the lone mad scientist theory?

POSNER: I'm certainly not sold on the theory of the lone mad scientist. I'm not even sold right now on the fact he was involved. I'll tell you why. All we are hearing is one side of the evidence. We're getting it leaked out, as it always is by the government, bit by bit about what happened. And as you said, it's absolutely at best a circumstantial case.

The big thing they're hanging their hat on right now is the fact that they have a new DNA type of evidence for bacteria that can isolate this form of anthrax back to a flask that was in the laboratory that he handled, as did at least ten other people and possibly dozens. They have them in New Jersey, supposedly, a time when mail was sent out with anthrax spores from places in Princeton. And they have him holding a P.O. Box at a postal office inside of Frederick, Maryland, where some of the envelopes were bought they think they can trace back to this.

It's a case where any good defense attorney, a Mark Geragos, an F. Lee Bailey in his heyday a Roy Black, they would relish this type of case. They could knock it out of the ballpark. I have to say one thing, we cannot allow—I really believe this, on a case this important on the anthrax investigation, for a rush to judgment in a matter in which the prime suspect is dead of an apparent suicide.

OLBERMANN: And the key witness against that prime suspect now seems to be the therapist who filed the restraining order against him, Dr. Ivins, Miss Dooley (ph). To put it kindly, her story doesn't seem to be particularly air tight. Among other things, she misspelled her own job title, therapist, in the paperwork. And this timeline is all screwy.

Let's look at this graphically. She says Ivins was committed July 10th, signed himself out of the hospital on July 16th. Her restraining order was filed on July 24th. How does a biological weapons expert with fantasies supposedly of mass murder get to sign himself out of a psychiatric facility, and what's the deal with this woman?

POSNER: Well, I tell you, the more I look into this, the more questions I have about her. You're right, she did spell therapist wrong on the application for a restraining order. She represented herself. But she did spell subpoena right, although she got the tense wrong. I must tell you something, go on—I suggest to any people watching tonight, go on, Maryland has a great public records file on the Internet. You can go on there and put in her name. You can find out that she has a somewhat unusual past. In '92, she was charged with her husband for battery on her husband. It was a civil complaint. She was picked up with drug paraphernalia at one point. She had a bankruptcy in '99.

She is a counselor. She is not a psychiatrist. She is not a psychologist. She's a social worker, but really she is a counselor in a group setting for drug problems.
Report Spam   Logged
Measured Justice

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 02:55:30 am »

He was never tried for the crime

He was never convicted

If I heard Alex right, I believe he "died" in a mental hospital.

Murdered is probably more like it, knowing the way this administration works..
Report Spam   Logged
Quest for Truth & Justice
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 01:36:40 am »

Anthrax suspect passed 2 polygraphs
Category: Conspiracy Theories?, Issues, Media Coverage, News |

Bruce Ivins

Casting further doubt on the FBI’s anthrax case, accused government scientist Bruce Ivins passed two polygraph tests and a handwriting analysis comparing samples of his handwriting to writing contained in the anthrax letters, U.S. officials familiar with the investigation say.

The Justice Department yesterday closed the case, announcing the late “Dr. Ivins was the only person responsible for these attacks.”

Ivins passed the first polygraph to satisfy a security requirement prior to working with the FBI as part of a team of scientists at the Fort Detrick, Md., lab who originally helped analyze the anthrax letters. He passed a second exam after he became a suspect.

WND has learned that the FBI was so frustrated with the exam results that last October authorities asked a judge for permission to search Ivins’ home and vehicles specifically for evidence of any materials, such as books, that would have helped him “defeat a polygraph.”

Also, officials confirm that FBI handwriting analysts were unable to conclusively match samples of Ivins’ handwriting with the writing on the anthrax envelopes and letters, which sounded as if they were written by jihadist accomplices of the 9/11 hijackers. The crude notes declared: “DEATH TO AMERICA. DEATH TO ISRAEL. ALLAH IS GREAT.”

(Story continues below)

Investigators also failed to uncover other critical evidence linking Ivins directly to the letters. For instance:

No textile fibers were found in his office, residence or vehicles matching fibers found on the scotch tape used to seal the envelopes;
No pens were found matching the ink used to address the envelopes;
Samples of his hair failed to match hair follicles found inside the Princeton, N.J., mailbox used to mail the letters.
Also, no souvenirs of the crime, such as newspaper clippings, were found in his possession as commonly seen in serial murder cases.

What’s more, the FBI could not place Ivins at the  crime scene with evidence, such as gas station or other receipts, at the time the letters were mailed in September and October 2001.

While acknowledging the circumstantial nature of their case against Ivins, prosecutors argue they’re confident they would have been able to prove his guilt “beyond a reasonable doubt” in court.

They say they used new forensic technology to narrow the deadly spores used in the attacks down to a batch stored in Ivins’ lab. However, they concede that more than 100 other people – including some Arab-American scientists – had access to the batch and that the virulent Ames strain was found elsewhere.

Also, the FBI sent the anthrax letters to the same lab for analysis within days of the attacks, which might explain the match.

Still, prosecutors also point to the fact that Ivins spent an inordinate amount of time working in his lab in the days before the attacks, possibly preparing the poison. They say the number of his late nights spiked in September and October of 2001.

They cite an e-mail Ivins wrote to a colleague in which he expressed anger toward the 9/11 terrorists but also toward those in government who didn’t do enough to protect the country. Prosecutors speculate one of the reasons he targeted Democratic leaders in Congress was because he felt they were soft on terrorism.

However, lab records reviewed by WND show the number of late nights Ivins put in at the lab first spiked in August 2001, weeks before the 9/11 attacks.

Ivins told FBI agents that he was putting in more late hours to escape problems at home, an explanation prosecutors found “unsatisfactory.”

Prosecutors highlighted another Ivins’ e-mail to a colleague in which they say he used language similar to the threats used in the anthrax letters. The partial text of the quote the officials first leaked to the media was “Bin Laden terrorists for sure have anthrax” and have “just decreed death to all Jews and all Americans.”

However, the full text of the first line of the e-mail cited in the government affidavit for a search warrant read as follows: “I heard tonight that Bin Laden terrorists for sure have anthrax and sarin gas.” (The e-mail was sent after 9/11 when al-Qaida was in the news.) The next line in the e-mail begins, “You … ” followed by a blacked-out line.

Prosecutors redacted the rest of the sentence from the copy of the affidavit unsealed for the press. The government did not provide an explanation.

Ivins, in an apparent suicide, last week overdosed on Tylenol 3 with codeine. His lawyers say he was depressed and driven to suicide by overly aggressive FBI agents who stalked him and his family.

They say the government’s case against him amounted to “heaps of innuendo” and that their client would have been acquitted if he had survived. They point out that the government’s evidence was not even strong enough to present to a grand jury, let alone a trial jury.

Indeed, prosecutors had not delivered the case to a grand jury for indictment. And the Pentagon had not revoked Ivins’ security clearance.

Prosecutors were  equally confident another scientist, Steven Hatfill, was the anthrax culprit before recently agreeing to pay him $6 million in damages.

http://waronyou.com/2008/08/anthrax-suspect-passed-2-polygraphs/
Report Spam   Logged

Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 12:42:09 am »

Chris Kelly 

Anthrax Suspect Had Ties to French Communist: FBI

The documents disclosed that authorities searched Ivins' home on Nov. 2, 2007, taking 22 swabs of vacuum filters and radiators and seizing dozens of items. Among them were video cassettes, family photos, information about guns and a copy of The Plague by Albert Camus. -- AP, 06/08/08

It's a shitty world full of jerks -- just ask Albert Camus -- and alleged anthrax killers like Bruce Ivins make it even more miserable. (Yes, I'll come right out and say it: I'm against alleged anthrax killers.) You've got to take joy wherever you can find it. Like an FBI agent, discovering that a suspect owns a book called The Plague.

"Schiff! Martin! Get these radiator swabs to CBSU! Warrenberg, I want a cryptanalysis report on these videocassettes and family photos and I want it yesterday! Wait, what the hell is this...? Boyle, what have you got on Albert Camus?"

"I'm pulling it up now... French anarcho-syndicalist... atheist... born Algeria..."

"Algeria!? Boyle, you may have just cracked this whole thing wide open!"

I remember thinking it was kind of "bad" that the Patriot Act gave the government unlimited access to Americans' library records, but not their gun permits, but now I understand. It's about prevention. If only we had known Bruce Ivins was reading existentialism before he struck.

He was obviously planning something pretty bad. Why else would a vaccinologist own a book that was superficially about disease?

Of course, The Plague is about a plague like The Magic Mountain is about a magical mountain. (Wait, what is The Magic Mountain about?) The plague in The Plague is what you might call "a symbol," which makes imagining some FBI agent writing a report on it so exciting.

"His bedroom, meals in a cheap restaurant, some rather mysterious coming and goings - these were the sum of Cottard's days..."
Request s. warrants all cheap restaurants in vicin Ivins home/US Army Medical Research Institute... sgst interview waitstaff re: comings/goings...

"What's more, the plague suits me quite well and I see no reason why I should bother about trying to stop it."
Possible $ motive? Chk bnk recrds.

"I can see," Tarrou said, "that you're not going to join our effort."
Twiddling his hat uneasily, Cottard gazed at Tarros with shifty eyes.
"I hope you won't bear me a grudge."
"Certainly not. But" - Tarrou smiled - "do try at least not to propagate the microbe deliberately."

PRPGATE MICRB DELIBERATE!!!

SMKIG GUN!

WLL HOLD UP N CRT???

I also wonder what Bruce Ivins thought of The Plague. If he figured out that the plague was just life. (Spoiler Alert: The plague is just life.) I wonder if that made him mad. He seems like a guy with a temper. I wonder what he expected it to be about?

And that's the truly surreal thing about Bruce Ivins and the FBI and their book club: Not only is the FBI misreading Bruce Ivins misreading The Plague, but there's a character in The Plague who's misreading The Trial.

He thinks it's a murder mystery.

"I've been reading a detective story. It's about a poor devil who's arrested one fine morning, all of a sudden. People had been taking an interest in him and he knew nothing about it. They were talking about him in offices, entering his name on card indexes. Now do you think that's fair? Do you think people have a right to treat a man like that?"
Your FBI collected, as evidence, a book in which a character is reading a book in which a character is on trial, but it's not clear why.

Wait. Unless that's not what The Trial is about at all.

--

Good thing Ivins didn't have The Stranger. They would have charged him with shooting an Arab.

Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson
Garrell Hughes
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 08:52:30 am »

If I Were a Betting Man, I'd Wager that Cheney Was Behind the Anthrax Attacks
Submitted by Mark on Mon, 08/11/2008 - 2:57pm. EditorBlog
THE BUZZFLASH EDITOR'S BLOG

Mark Karlin

Editor and Publisher

August 9, 2008 (originally posted)

You'd have to be a terribly cautious and willfully blind person not to think that the Bush Administration was capable of orchestrating the anthrax attacks. You'd almost have to be a fool.

Years after the anthrax attacks were aimed at Democratic senators who were necessary to pass the "spy on Americans," cynically named "Patriot Act," suddenly the latest "prime suspect" commits suicide without leaving a note or anything, but then the FBI makes claims about how they "got their man" after how many seasons of incompetence in their investigation had passed?

Anyone who doesn't believe that an administration that had the CIA (or perhaps Douglas Feith's "manufactured evidence" Defense Department office) forge and backdate a letter to link Saddam to Osama to help justify the war with Iraq is not capable of using army-produced weapons grade anthrax, out of a Defense Department facility in Fort Detrick, Maryland ... anyone who doesn't believe that an administration that forged Niger uranium documents to falsely link Saddam to a purchase that could facilitate a nuclear program that had been shuttered ... anyone who doesn't believe that an administration that lied about knowing where WMDs were hidden in Iraq (as Rumsfeld and Cheney claimed), when those weapons didn't exist ... well anyone who doesn't believe that such people who believe that they are "masters of the universe" and above the Constitution and the law would be concerned about "collateral damage" in a domestic anthrax attack is naive and incapable of understanding the heart of darkness that lurks within Cheney and his puppet in the White House. (George W. Bush is ever in need of finding ways to prove his manhood through being indifferent to the deaths of others.)

BuzzFlash was around, as we have said many a time, since May of 2000.

We reported on the suspicious domestic terrorism anthrax attacks when they occurred, and how odd it appeared that the Bush Administration never appeared concerned about domestic terrorism, even after the attacks. In fact, as Ron Suskind's book reports, the Bush Administration pushed ABC News and others to link the anthrax attacks to Saddam Hussein. Suskind reveals much more, including that the WH rejected overtures from Iran to help clamp down on Al Qaeda, who is no friend to them (being a Shiite vs. Sunni match up).

The best analysis on the highly questionable "resolution" of the multi-year Keystone Cops FBI investigation (by design BuzzFlash believes -- how can the Bush Administration investigate itself; it couldn't in the Valerie Plame outing or the Katrina failure, because Bush would have had to find himself guilty) is coming from Glenn Greenwald at Salon.com. Greenwald is taking the Ivins suicide and anthrax attacks on with a sense of detail and passion that is unmatched on the Net or in the corporate press.

But BuzzFlash was online when it happened, and we took note of how ineptly the FBI handled the case of domestic terrorism that not only resulted in the deaths of people, but was aimed at senior Democratic senators (and some "liberal" members of the press). There was something worrisome about an anthrax attack that emanated from a Department of Defense facility -- and there still is.

Just a few days ago, it was the anniversary of Bush receiving a briefing in August of 2001 that bin Laden was determined to hijack planes in the United States. Bush blew it off. He told a CIA briefer at his Crawford ranch who tried to tell him about terrorist threats that the guy had covered his ass and could leave Bush's Hollywood set "regular guy" vacation retreat and leave Bush alone.

9/11 happened on Bush's watch, even though he was warned. We pointed out at the time that the least Bush and Rice could have done was raise a security alert and order airports to take special precautions to prevent hijackings, but they did nothing -- absolutely nothing.

One of the most tragic failings of the corporate press was that when confronted with the August briefing and other warnings of Al Qaeda preparing to launch attacks on U.S. soil prior to 9/11 -- including the pleading of Robert Clarke -- Rice and Bush claimed that if they had been warned of intended efforts to fly planes into buildings that they would have taken precautions. The White House "press corps" stenographers nodded and told us that this excuse made sense.

But we pointed out then, so many years ago, that it made no sense whatsoever. The way to try and prevent airplane hijackings that end up in suicide attacks on buildings is the same way you prevent hijackings in general: you stop them at the airport. You can't construct magic shields around buildings. So Bush and Rice were let off by the mainstream media, even though their incompetence (or worse) resulted in no action being taken to stop the hijackings, even though the title of the August briefing was about planned hijackings, as Rice was forced to concede in Congressional testimony.

So, anyone who doesn't believe that anthrax attacks that originated with U.S. government-created, bio-warfare weapons grade anthrax, could have been part of an effort to move Congress and the American people toward war for oil and empire, as well as toward a tsarist level of "unitary executive" authority, well anyone who doesn't believe that the anthrax attacks might have been part of Dick Cheney's "dark shadow" planning is ready to audition for Pollyanna.

Oh, and did we mention the recent Seymour Hersh revelation that Cheney and some White House staff members recently spent some time brainstorming how to provoke Iran into war, including "false flag" operations? We wrote about that in a recent BuzzFlash editor's blog.

We don't generally get into conspiracy theories, because by their very nature they are theories for which factual evidence doesn't exist. If the corroborating details are there, then it isn't a theory; it's fact.

Saying the WH, particularly Cheney, were likely behind the anthrax attacks may still fall into the category of conspiracy theory. But if I were a betting man, I think that you can probably safely move that conspiracy theory into the column of fact.

THE BUZZFLASH EDITOR'S BLOG

Support the BuzzFlash Internet News Network by shopping at our own BuzzFlash Progressive Marketplace.

Bookmark/Search this post with:
 buzzflash |  delicious |  digg |  technorati
 Technorati Tags: EditorBlog 9/11 Anthrax Forged Letters Crimes and Conspiracies

http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/editorblog/110
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: