Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:51:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site provides evidence for ancient comet explosion
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nationworld/story/173177.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Palace 'ghost' caught on camera

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palace 'ghost' caught on camera  (Read 356 times)
Sandra
Superhero Member

« on: January 29, 2007, 09:09:20 pm »

Palace 'ghost' caught on camera
Friday, December 19, 2003 Posted: 1:54 PM EST (1854 GMT)

LONDON, England (AP) -- Are there ghostly goings-on at Henry VIII's palace, or is that hazy image of a fellow in fancy robes just a bit of Christmas cheer?

Closed-circuit security cameras at Hampton Court Palace, the huge Tudor castle outside London, seem to have snagged an ethereal visitor. Could it be a ghost?

"We're baffled too -- it's not a joke, we haven't manufactured it," said Vikki Wood, a Hampton Court spokeswoman, when asked if the photo the palace released was a Christmas hoax. "We genuinely don't know who it is or what it is."

Wood said security guards had seen the figure in closed-circuit television footage after checking it to see who kept leaving open one of the palace's fire doors.

In the still photograph, the figure of a man in a robe-like garment is shown stepping from the shadowy doorway, one arm reaching out for the door handle.

The area around the man is somewhat blurred, and his face appears unnaturally white compared with his outstretched hand.

"It was incredibly spooky because the face just didn't look human," said James Faukes, one of the palace security guards.

"My first reaction was that someone was having a laugh, so I asked my colleagues to take a look. We spoke to our costumed guides, but they don't own a costume like that worn by the figure. It is actually quite unnerving," Faukes said.

The palace, built in 1525 on the River Thames 10 miles west of central London, is a popular tourist attraction and some of the guides wear costumes of the Tudor period.

Wood said she was hoping people would come forward with similar stories and try to explain the figure.

The palace has been the scene of many dramatic royal events, and already is supposed to have a few ghosts.

King Henry VIII's third wife, Jane Seymour, died there giving birth to a son, and her ghost is said to walk through one of the cobbled courtyards carrying a candle.

Her son, Edward, had a nurse called Sibell Penn who was buried in the palace grounds in 1562. In 1829 her tomb was disturbed by building work, and around the same time an odd whirring noise began to be heard in the southwest wing of the palace.

When workmen traced the strange sounds to a brick wall, they uncovered a small forgotten room containing an old spinning wheel, just like the one Penn used to use.

Henry's fifth wife, Catherine Howard, condemned for adultery, was held at the palace under house arrest before her execution at the Tower of London. An 1897 book about the palace says she was reportedly seen, dressed in white and floating down one of the galleries uttering unearthly shrieks.

The palace was once a prison for King Charles I, who later was beheaded, and then home to his nemesis Oliver Cromwell, who briefly ruled when Britain was for a short time a republic.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/19/hampton.ghost.ap/index.html

(from Docyabut)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:10:12 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 05:50:00 am »

The above photo is to say the least interesting. Thing is, it can be recreated over and over. These things at times have to go through tons of debunking before we can call it paranormal.
I have always liked to discuss everything involving paranormal subjects. I won't go as far as saying that," It's a fake". However, as a paranormal investigator I have to attempt to debunk as much as I possibly can to rule out what a "skeptic will almost always reject.

That pic is for now, debunked.

The reason  I feel it is debunked is because I can easily recreate this photo.
There is alot of blurring that occurs completely around the figure.
Lastly; do a close up on the picture and note the feet.....
 Wink
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:10:15 pm by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

Trent
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:35:00 pm »

Wait a minute, HereForNow!  You can't just say it is debunked, you have to go into a little more detail than that.  What specifically makes you believe it's a fraud?

Any opinion on the Brown Lady, one of the most famous ghosts?
Report Spam   Logged

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

The Brown Lady is a great photo and I honestly do need to examine it before I will say one way or the other.
Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 09:42:32 pm »

http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=256623
Report Spam   Logged

Trent
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 02:20:17 am »

The Brown Lady is a great photo and I honestly do need to examine it before I will say one way or the other.

Have you ever heard where anyone ever described it as a fake before.  Cause I haven't.
Report Spam   Logged

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
johnee

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 09:15:45 am »

Hampton Court Palace is riddled with ghosts, I have been there and can confirm the atmosphere is most creepy and can thoroughly recommend it. Although I did visit a very long time ago when tourist were not so thick on the ground and I practically had the place to myself one late  afternoon.

Here is a rather long but good essay by someone who must be American ‘cause I had to correct the spelling in places,

The Haunting of Hampton Court Palace

Hampton Court Palace was once the home of the kings and queens of England. Just a few examples would be Charles I, Elizabeth I and, the most famous, Henry the VIII. (Of course one must include his six wives as well.) The Palace has had many owners, and the owners have found themselves with many unusual tenants sharing the Palace with them. As it turns out they were sharing their home with the spectres of the past. At one point in time even King Henry, himself, had reported seeing ghosts walking the halls of his home. (No doubt due to large amount of people that he had put to death.

Thomas Wolsey, (later titled Cardinal Wolsey), built the Palace itself, as a summer home during the reign of Henry the VIII. The mansion did not become a palace until after Henry VII took over ownership and began to add onto the original building. The mansion became Henry’s home when Wolsey mistakenly told Henry, that anything he owned belonged to Henry. Apparently Thomas Wolsey was not expecting Henry to take him up on his sentiment, but the king assumed that Wolsey had made a gift of Hampton House.

The actual building of Hampton Court Palace began in 1514, and was almost completed in 1925. Smiley
The King eventually promoted Sir Thomas Wolsey to the station of Cardinal. For a while all was fine between the two men. Unfortunately for Wolsey, he was unable to obtain a legal divorce for Henry from his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, because of this he was charged with treason and stripped of all his possessions. Thomas Wolsey died penniless in 1530, before Henry could take the once prominent Cardinal Wolsey to trial and execute him.

Many Kings and Queens have inhabited Hampton Court Palace, starting with Henry VIII, Edward the VI, Elizabeth I and continuing on through to George III. Just as the Kings and Queens filled this palace so do it’s ghosts. The specters of the past reliving their history.
Many of the ghosts seen at Hampton Court are thought to be those of Henry, his wives and others connected to him. One explanation of the haunting is related to the fact that Henry focused all of his love, hate, rage and fears on the great halls of the palace and the people surrounding it.

As mentioned in the first paragraph, Henry experienced some haunting of his own. He reported seeing Herne the Hunter, of local legend, however, some historians believe that he spoke of this specter to convince himself and others that his conniving actions were understood by those of the other world and that Herne should be seen as the protector of the king. Henry was also haunted by a few of the clergy that he had killed during his violent reformation of the church. He also claimed to be the first person to see the beheaded ghost of his second wife, Anne Bolelyn.

King Henry, however, is not the only person to be haunted in the palace. Other residents and visitors have reported seeing shades and haunts while in the palace. The most persistent sightings are those of Anne Bolelyn and Jane Seymour.

In descriptions of sightings related to Anne Bolelyn one finds accounts of her both with and without her head. There have even been accounts of sightings where Anne is carrying her own head. Those who have seen Anne Boleyn in the palace describe her as walking slowly, looking bitter, but at the same time mortified by her unfair fate. Also many of the people who have seen her apparition describe feeling her age-old anger, grief, dread and fear of dying and being forgotten.

The other most popular sighting at the palace is that of Lady Jane Seymour, and her story is quite sad. She was the third wife of Henry VIII. They were betrothed within 24 hours of the beheading of Queen Anne. Unlike previous queens she did not have a formal coronation. In 1537 Jane became pregnant with her first and only child by the king. In early October the only son the Henry would ever have was born. Unfortunately his mother, Jane Seymour, died on October 24th, from complications of his birth. Her ghost has been seen roam in the Clock Court and in the Silver Stick Gallery wearing a white robe and carrying a lit candle, perhaps she is searching for her son. An interesting note to this story is that Jane Seymour was the only Queen to be buried with Henry in his burial vault.

Another of Henry’s wives, is also said to be seen in the palace. This would the King’s fifth wife, Catherine Howard. Catherine is not really believed to be a ghost, but rather more of a psychic impression. A psychic impression is a re-enactment of a particularly traumatic event, described as an echo in time. In Catherine’s case this would be her reaction to hearing the news of her sentence of death by beheading, for committing acts of high treason against the king. (In other words having affairs with younger men and getting caught.) Catherine has been reported seen running through the gallery and corridors, apparently she is still pleading and screaming for her life to be spared.

Kings, Queens and Clergy are not the only ones to be seen walking the palace halls, there are others who visit those remaining in the corporeal world. There is the story of the Grey Lady; this woman is believed to be Sybil Penn, the nurse of Henry’s children, died of Small Pox in 1632. She has been seen wandering the halls of this palace, and often felt or seen watching over the children residing there. She has been described by those who have witnessed her countenance as a smiling personage, and completely inoffensive. Apparently her spirit was quiet until the removal of her remains from St Mary’s Church, which had been badly damaged during a storm in 1892. Suddenly her voice was heard in the hallways and once again those residing in the palace could hear the whirring of her spinning wheel. When Mrs. Penn first began haunting the palace, the owners where dumbfounded by the source of the sound of the spinning wheel. Upon further investigation a secret room was found sealed off behind one of the corridor walls, and in this room they found what is believed to be Mrs. Penn’s spinning wheel. One thing that I found odd about this story was that in all the accounts that I have read no one mentions why the room was sealed off, nor did anyone question why the spinning wheel was there, nor was there any mention of any other objects occupying the room.

Other spectres inhabiting the palace that deserve honourable mention are two soldiers who had haunted the main courtyard. At some point of the English Civil War, a small skirmish was fought at the castle and unfortunately a good amount of the troops were injured or killed. The two soldiers in the courtyard are believed to have been part of that skirmish. During some of the repairs and renovations on the castle two skeletons were found in the courtyard. The remains of the unknown men were removed from the courtyard and given a proper burial. There have been no further reports of the soldiers in the courtyard since then. Hopefully these two men have finally found their peace.

Another ghost reported in the palace is that of a young boy dressed in 17th century garb. The brother of the owner of the castle saw him at that time, and a friend. The child appeared before the men in broad daylight during a garden party. He pushed past the gentlemen standing on the stairs, who quickly followed him only to find the child nowhere in sight by the time they had reached the top of the stairs. The gentlemen described the child’s behaviour as that of a person who lived in the palace and was used to being in charge.

I also found a brief mention of a tourist who had seen a young woman in what the tourist had described as, old fashioned dress, walking along with the crowds touring the palace. The tourist did not think much of this young woman until she noticed her walk through a young soldier on crutches. The young woman apparently passed through the young man without his even noticing. Upon reporting what she had seen to the constable stationed on the grounds, she was told that many other tourists had reported this spectre over the years. By Cat@theshadowlands.net
from here

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: