Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 02:33:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plato's Atlantis: Fact, Fiction or Prophecy?
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CarolAnn_Bailey-Lloyd
http://www.underwaterarchaeology.com/atlantis-2.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Sunken Continents versus Continental Drift

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunken Continents versus Continental Drift  (Read 8138 times)
Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2008, 10:48:58 am »

Dear Qoais, Arcturus, dhill757, and Tom Hebert,

You are right in assuming that in fact something else could have happened, but i forgot to mention one important detail when speaking to  Carolyn Silver, although i have talked about it before here at AO. 

The Crust is less dense than the magma, and therefore the "buoyancy" would inevitably avoid any landmass to sink.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:51:58 am by Mario Dantas » Report Spam   Logged

Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 11:51:23 am »

Hi Mario,

I would need to see proof about the buoyancy of land masses, but I don't think it necessarily negates the sinking of Atlantis.  Why do people sink in quicksand?  My point is that there could be other factors at work.
Report Spam   Logged
Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2008, 07:15:35 pm »

Dear Tom,

I think quicksands are an exception to the rule...

Rotational stability is of great importance to floating vessels. Given a small angular displacement, the vessel may return to its original position (stable), move away from its original position (unstable), or remain where it is (neutral).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_statics

The addition of these denser materials raises the average specific gravity for continental material to around 2.7. SiMa (from Silicon/Magnesium - its principal elements) is the material of the Earth's mantle - the 'fluid' in which continents are floating. To all appearances, this material is solid rock, but under the extreme pressure and temperature to which it is subjected, it actually flows like a liquid, albeit very slowly. Its specific gravity of 3.3 is high enough to insure that continents cannot sink.

http://webspinners.com/dlblanc/tectonic/floating.php

with regards,
M
Report Spam   Logged

Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2008, 07:47:10 pm »

Okay, there are many theories, but no one can prove that Atlantis didn't sink in the Atlantic Ocean.  In my opinion, there could be a few mountain peaks poking through the water's surface, but by and large it is at the bottom of the ocean or had been totally disintegrated.
Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 05:11:54 am »

Mario, Tom, dhill757, Qoais & Arcturus,

I think before we begin arguing against the idea of a sunken island or continent, we first have to decide how much of Plato's Atlantis actually sunk in the first place!  We could be looking for a sunken continent in the ocean or we could be looking for part of one, or we could be looking for simply the capital city.

Check this out, the coordinates for a former sunken block of continent lie along the line of the Vema offset fault, a long east-west fracture zone lying between Africa and South America close to latitude 11øN:

Evidence from the floor of the ocean
In a 1954 issue of Geological Society of America, Bulletin, Bruce Heezen and others reported on a seamount - an underwater mountain - that has been named Atlantis by geologists and is in the Atlantic Ocean. It has been found to have been an island about 12,000 years ago - exactly the time specified by Plato! This abstract is given:
The Atlantis, Cruiser, and Great Meteor seamounts rise from a broad ridge or plateau which extends from the Mid-Atlantic Ridge to 37°N. 32°W. southeast to Great Sea mount at 30°N. 28°W. The Atlantis Sea mount, briefly explored 1947 and 1948, was found by echo sounding and submarine photography to have a fairly flat bedrock summit area at about 180 fathoms covered in some cases by current-rippled sand. Its slopes are covered with sand or ooze symmetrically rippled at 400 fathoms and marked by slump features in 570 fathoms. A small piece of volcanic agglomerate was dredged from 400 fathoms on the north slope. About a ton of flat pteropod limestone cobbles was dredged from the summit area. One of the cobbles gave an apparent radiocarbon age of 12,000 years ±900 (J.L. Kulp). The state of lithification of the limestone suggests that it may have been lithified under subaerial [i.e. above water, on land surface] conditions and that the sea mount may have been an island within the past 12,000 years. (Heezen, Bruce C., et al, "Flat-Topped Atlantis, Cruiser, And Great Meteor Sea Mounts" in Geological Society of America, Bulletin, 65:1261, 1954 (Protogonos issue 9))

In later studies, evidence was found for the remnants of a "sunken block of continent" in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. An articlein New Scientist 1975 summarizes the result. (Anonymous, New Scientist,66:540, 1975)

Although they make no such fanciful claim from their results as to have discovered the mythical mid-Atlantic landmass, an international group of oceanographers has now convincingly confirmed preliminary findings that a sunken block of continent lies in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. The discovery comes from analysing dredge samples taken along the line of the Vema offset fault, a long east-west fracture zone lying between Africa and South America close to latitude 11øN.

The article describes the first report of "shallow-water limestone fragments" from the Vema Fracture in the Atlantic:

Four years ago two University of Miami workers, J. Honnorez and E. Bonatti, first reported the recovery of shallow-water limestone fragments from the Vema fracture zone. This limestone contained minerals indicative of a nearby granitic source unlikely to occur on the ocean floor. Neither water currents, nor more esoteric transport systems, could explain the presence of these rocks so far from the modern boundaries of the continents. The two researchers believed that, instead, the granitic grains must have been deposited close to their source.

Then the recent researchers are noted:

Now, with C. Emiliani of Miami, Paul Bronniman of the University of Geneva, M.A. Furrer of Esso Production Research, Begles, and A.A. Meyerhof, a consulting geologist from Tulsa, USA, they have carried out a more searching analysis of the dredge samples (Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 26, p.Cool

Finally he notes the evidence for activity in less than 30 meters ofwater, and even some evidence for activity in soil.

The Limestones include traces of shallow-water fossils - foraminifera, green algae, bits of gastropods, and crab coprolites - implying formation in water, in one instance, less than 30 m deep. Furthermore, the limestones have been recrystallized from a high to low-magnesium form of calcite. Oxygen and carbon-isotope ratios prove conclusively that this process must have taken place subaerially [on land surface] "through the action of meteoric water enriched in light carbon while passing through a soil zone ..." A pitted limestone sample bears evidence of tidal action. Some 50 km east of the dredge site along the Vema fracture the team also recovered a thick-shelled, shallow-water, bivalve fossil from a depth of over 2000 m.

The coprolites in the sample indicate a Mesozoic age for the limestone which may well be the sedimentary capping on a residual continental block left behind as the [??] spread out into an ocean. The granitic minerals could thus have come from the bordering continents while the ocean was still in its infancy. Vertical movements made by the block appear to have raised it above sea level at some period during its history.

(from Unknown Earth: A Handbook of Geological Enigmas by William R. Corliss.)

http://www.atlantissource.com/home/forgotten_article.htm
Report Spam   Logged
Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 09:22:23 am »

Dear Carolyn Silver,

I think before we begin arguing against the idea of a sunken island or continent, we first have to decide how much of Plato's Atlantis actually sunk in the first place!

I am very sorry if i gave the wrong impression, it is difficult to explain things sometimes...

I will tell you my honest opinion! Plato was right when he said that the Island sunk... but only slightly!

Greenland´s peripheral Continental Plate was slightly submerged when it moved North. The reason was that while the Ocean floor became "Bouyant" it floated as i stated earlier:

Rotational stability is of great importance to floating vessels. Given a small angular displacement, the vessel may return to its original position (stable), move away from its original position (unstable), or remain where it is (neutral).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_statics

When the floating media hardened and impeached further said "bouyancy", the island wasn't able to return to its original leveled position. Therefore the island was "trapped" between a sunken and afloat situation. This is very difficult to prove but i hope one day everything will be confirmed. I am not an expert, please keep that in mind!

I understand that Science could be at the brink of a discovery, but i can tell you this much: they will not find Atlantis in the Atlantic Ocean floor. But i am listening, seriously!

with regards
M
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 05:27:12 am by Mario Dantas » Report Spam   Logged

Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2008, 03:23:32 am »

Hey Mario!

Of course, it's in the Atlantic Ocean! 

(Or was)

Not only was a sunken block of continental material discovered there, but (in the same area), a HOLE in the ocean's crust has been discovered:

Check out this article and MAP:

Scientists to study “hole” in the Atlantic Ocean’s floor.

Posted on Tuesday 6 March 2007 by Dave Schumaker
I’ve seen a few articles popping up about this research trip lately. Yesterday, a team of 12 British scientists left the Canary Islands on a maiden voyage of a new research vessel, the RRS James Cook, to study an area near the Mid-Atlantic Ridge where a 7 kilometer thick section of the Earth’s crust is missing. In place of the missing crustal material is a 7 kilometer thick section of mantle material (the article doesn’t specifically say it, but it’s safe to say it’s peridotite), which scientists consider a geophysical anomaly.

Scientists suspect there are also two other spots in the area that have similar characteristics. The anomalous areas sit underneath 3,500 meters of ocean, obviously making it fairly difficult to study. This mantle material is irregularly shaped and encompasses an area of nearly 50 x 50 kilometers.

The study aims to accomplish a number of objectives, such as providing deeper insights into the chemistry of the Earth’s oceans, how the crustal material behaves under so much water, as well as supporting theories of how this mantle material came to exist in the spot in the first place.
http://geology.rockbandit.net/2007/03/06/scientists-to-study-hole-in-the-atlantic-oceans-floor/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:24:13 am by Carolyn Silver » Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2008, 03:46:57 am »

The problem with most Atlantologists is that they haven't put two and two together! 

Anyway, so we have a HOLE in the ocean in the same vicinity as we have a sunken block of continent.

To the east, the Soviets also found some lava encrusted walls and steps in 1978, and, in the north, in the Azores, there were also some findings reported in 2001.

Report Spam   Logged
Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2008, 06:13:59 am »

Dear Carolyn Silver,

Yes the map is quite illustrative of the weakest link that existed in the ancient Atlantic Island. If, in fact, it moved up North, it should have left something like the hole you mention. A 7.000 m gap in the Atlantic floor that was pulled out like a tooth extraction at the dentist. The Geoid imagery is clear with regards as to where it started.

http://www.hal.ca/height/images/figure2.jpg

What i can tell you, and i have been following RSS James Cook since March 2007 when they started this Research trip, they went all the way up to Greenland also. I even tried to contact them with no Success...

Anyway, that hole was the Southerner tip of Greenland, or if you prefer Kircher's "Insula Atlantis". I am sure!

Notice how close it is from Cape Verde Plateau, another important element in the Atlantic floor.

They can't be that coincidental, and i mean the fact that they are in the same Geographical Parallel. Something huge happened there and Science is just not aware of it.

regards,

M
Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 09:25:38 am »

Okay, there are many theories, but no one can prove that Atlantis didn't sink in the Atlantic Ocean.  In my opinion, there could be a few mountain peaks poking through the water's surface, but by and large it is at the bottom of the ocean or had been totally disintegrated.

Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 10:00:35 am »

Tanks!, Mario! 

There IS a piece missing between Europe and North America and everytime they do that jigsaw where they try and put the continents together, it is pretty clear!

Atlantis DIDN'T have to be a continent!Carolyn

I believe we haven't met, before

FROM a ' dissident ' Atlantologist.

What you don't knoe is that most of Plato's references were corrupted by LATIN translators.

Forinstance:

Atlantis as an Island in the Atlantic is FAKE
Plato originally wrote GREEK

GREEK ATHETA-Land became" Atlantis "

GREEK location in PELAGOUS(= Midway in a BAY(= Golf-)became PELAGUS(= ISLAND Realm.)

Atlantis was at a territorial Gulf(= Sae of Atlas>)which separated Atlantis from the Real Ocean
THUS Atlantis was never IN the Atlantic-Ocean.

This Midway- SEA was the Surrounding Sea or ( Known-)World Sea.IMMIGRANTS in Europe changed it into the MEDIA- Terra Nea."

Latin compilers aggranded Plato's measurements of Liquid, Size /distance and even Time with TEN
because of an error reading of x + X as TIMES TEN instead of Plus Ten.! x= multiply X is TEN.

Plato wrote his SYMPOSION- TREATISE as a SATYRE on the current political crises in Athens.NOT to promote his POLITEIA
But to critisize ATHENS' War HYBRIS in the FAILED. . . RAID on SYRACUSE ( 413-bc)
No Atlantologist spotted that ALL the NARRATORS were former Greek GENERALS executed in SYRACUSE( except Socrates, he was poisioned.)

THE. . MOON hit the Equator TWICE
in 1055 and 855 bc the GREEKS called this the TITANO-Machia( Hit on Antartica & GiGANTO=- Machia(= Hit on Hawaii.)
The First Hit may have triggered the Atlantic MountainRIFT, the Second Hit has caused the Hymalaians and indian Ocean Rift, overnight
Since nobody believes this I am dubbed the " Dissident Atlantologist"

The oceanographic institutions should have Maps about those TWO BOUNCE IMPACTS from the Moon.
Right Opposite the Atrartica region must be the American Mountains abnd opposite Hawai must have been the Hymalaians
BUT rather at an angle of 90% because Earth moved during both impacts
so that the THRUST outcome is today not directly opposite the Pacific IMPACT SITES anymore!

This Earth encompassing or WORLD encycling SEA is not th Atlantic
 but Should be called the TETHYS SEA.

The saying goes that the TiTAN(= egyptian King/ Queen.)TETHYS " married" OCEANUS and produced an OFF Spring
or OFF Shoot , that is some SORT of OUTLETT that was called PONTUS, or Greek PONTOON.

In My opinion:
 TETHYS was Queen TETI-CHERI and OKEANOS, King SEKEN en-RE Thot-2  TetiCheri is self evident sOKEAN(-os.) may be King Seken.

Dr Velikovsky was a " dissident paleo-geologist " turned biblical historian he REVISED the Egyptian TIME Line
which contained 500 yeras TOO  MUCH.
 So the GREEKS didn't enter GREECE i 1650 bc as Minoan/ Myceaners but around 1.000 bc.

CONCLUSION:

Due to translation failures Atlantis as a VOLCANO KINGDOM in Ras ADEN crater
inbetween the " CONTINENTS "(= French RIVAGES">) of ASIA(= Major= Araby & LYBIA"= THEN Erytraea.)
unwittingly became a FAKE Island in MID Atlantic Ocean whereas it should be located near the INDIAN Ocean separated by a SEA- ARM.

It's Inhabitants were the HYKSOS/ Hittites and Punicians(= Canaanites) Living under egyptian Suzereinity in HADRAMAUT/ ADEN

Have a nice evening ! Cry Shocked Cry
 Sincerely'
" BlueHue " ( A dissident Atlantologist.) dd 5 Aug 2008

Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 07:31:55 pm »

Blue Hue, discoveries of ancient cities, towns and even little villages, show that Greek was populated before 1000 BC.  Their Bronze age started at about 2800BC. 

The Greek Bronze Age or the Early Helladic Era started around 2800 BC and lasted till 1050 BC in Crete while in the Aegean islands it started in 3000 BC. The Bronze Age in Greece is divided into periods such as Helladic I, II. The information that is available today on the Bronze Age in Greece is from the architecture, burial styles and lifestyle. The colonies were made of 300 to 1000 people.
The Bronze Age is known as so because of the invention and introduction of the metal bronze. This metal made its entry into Greece in 3000 BC, but it did not make its impact as soon as it arrived. The people from Dimini from the Neolithic era that had settled in Greece slowly started the use of Bronze. Knives and swords were carved from the metal. This metal was more easy to use than stone, bone or wood. Metals such as gold, silver and lead arrived at the same time as bronze.

http://www.ancientgreece.com/s/Earlybronze/
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Arcturus
Superhero Member

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2008, 12:40:09 am »

Anyone see this?

Prehistoric land under the sea 

Huge cliffs and vast basins were revealed in the survey

By Mike McKimm
Science Correspondent, BBC Northern Ireland 

It's a landscape no human has even seen. And those who live right beside it had no idea it even existed.

Deep below the sea, off the north coast of Northern Ireland, a dramatic geological mystery has been discovered.

Huge cliffs, vast basins and plateaus, a lake and even rivers have been found. But so far no-one is certain what caused them to end up like this deep under the sea.

The discovery was made when the seabed was being surveyed to update old Admiralty charts, drawn up in the mid-1800s.

Funded by the European Union and backed by the UK's Maritime and Coastguard Agency, a survey vessel has been scanning the seabed along most of the north coast of Ireland, including the seabed north of Rathlin Island. 

Marine biologists have been surveying the sea bed

Most of the bottom was largely flat and unremarkable, but as the survey headed east it suddenly came across an unexpected landscape.

For the first time marine biologists could understand what was down there and the scale of it all.

"I'm always very envious of my terrestrial biologist colleagues", said Joe Breen, Head of Aquatic Science with Northern Ireland's new Environment Agency, who has dived the area for years.

"They can go out on land and see where their habitats are. Underwater we've never had that luxury.

"On a dive you can only see about 15 metres so it's like operating in fog. Now, with this survey, we can report on the true extent of the features.

"For the European Habitat Directive, we have to report the extent of our reefs and sandbanks. This will help with the whole concept of marine spatial planning.

"So, if someone wants to put in renewable energy or extract aggregate, we now have a blueprint and can see how they're going to interact and if it's sustainable."

The survey is to update old Admiralty charts of the area

One of the most striking details is a large lake or crater on what was once the top of huge cliffs towering above the plateau below.

The streams and rivers that fed it are still clearly defined.

And that raises one of the mysteries. Why did coastal erosion not obliterate all that detail as the sea slow rose over the land?

Could it mean that some cataclysmic event took place that allowed the sea to overwhelm the land before erosion could begin?

But already the marine scientists are excited about what they've found.

"We can now get a true idea of the true extent of the rare and endangered species and habitats", said Mr Breen.

"We can now see that we have got more of certain features which we weren't aware of - like sandbanks and reefs. The sandbank features in particular are stunning."

The survey is part of a 2m euro cross-border collaboration with the Marine Institute of Ireland. The area covered is a three nautical mile strip ranging from Tory Island off Donegal to Torr Head near Ballycastle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7532771.stm
Report Spam   Logged
Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 06:36:46 am »

Dear Arcturus,

One of the most striking details is a large lake or crater on what was once the top of huge cliffs towering above the plateau below.The streams and rivers that fed it are still clearly defined.

And that raises one of the mysteries. Why did coastal erosion not obliterate all that detail as the sea slow rose over the land?

Could it mean that some cataclysmic event took place that allowed the sea to overwhelm the land before erosion could begin?

In this Geoid there are clear signs that something existed before not only at the spot mentioned by your article but in several other places too.

Although it could be argued that those were remnants of Atlantis, i am inclined to think that actually those were other Islands (as Critias states) or even that a greater UK existed in pre Historic times.

My theory of Atlantis in Greenland predicts that a sudden movement of the whole Island of Greenland took place in the Atlantic and slightly "crunched" the peripheral Continental plates of Africa, Europe and America while dislocating towards the North.

Anyway, it is a very interesting finding regarding our ancient Continental configuration. One way or the other it will inevitably lead to Greenland and Iceland, as the Geological "trailing" engine that changed the face of the Atlantic.

Regards,

M

Report Spam   Logged

Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 01:48:44 am »

Dear Carolyn Silver,

Yes the map is quite illustrative of the weakest link that existed in the ancient Atlantic Island. If, in fact, it moved up North, it should have left something like the hole you mention. A 7.000 m gap in the Atlantic floor that was pulled out like a tooth extraction at the dentist. The Geoid imagery is clear with regards as to where it started.

http://www.hal.ca/height/images/figure2.jpg

What i can tell you, and i have been following RSS James Cook since March 2007 when they started this Research trip, they went all the way up to Greenland also. I even tried to contact them with no Success...

Anyway, that hole was the Southerner tip of Greenland, or if you prefer Kircher's "Insula Atlantis". I am sure!

Notice how close it is from Cape Verde Plateau, another important element in the Atlantic floor.

They can't be that coincidental, and i mean the fact that they are in the same Geographical Parallel. Something huge happened there and Science is just not aware of it.

regards,

M

Hi Mario!

Here is the hole in the Atlantic Ocean:

Do you know how FAR the hole would have to tear to go to reach all the way up to Greenland? Sorry!  Looks to me like a massive eruption happened there, the material SPILLED OUT, and that block of sunken CONTINENTAL MATERIAL was part of it.

The evidence fits perfectly to be Plato's Atlantis, it was just always LOWER in the Atlantic than people thought it was.

As I said, Atlantologists need to start putting two and two together, then they will see that this is the scenario that MOST fits Plato's description!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: