Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 05:06:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Probe into poison pen letter witchcraft claims

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Probe into poison pen letter witchcraft claims  (Read 97 times)
Lisa Wolfe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: July 26, 2008, 02:32:11 am »

Probe into poison pen letter witchcraft claims
7:34am Friday 25th July 2008

By Chris Brayshay »

DETECTIVES are investigating a poison pen letter campaign in a North-East community which accuses a man of witchcraft.

Scores of letters, all falsely bearing the familiar Neighbourhood Watch logo, have been handdelivered to homes in Eaglescliffe, near Stockton.

They also accuse the man of physical and sexual assaults.

The subject of the letters is described as “a bad clairvoyant living in the Long Newton area”, but inquiries by The Northern Echo yesterday revealed no one in the village has ever heard of the man, suggesting that he may not even exist.

Ron Baker, Neighbourhood Watch liaison officer for the Stockton area, said: “ I am fully aware of the letter in question. Obviously, there are investigations under way – it’s not news to us.

“This week I contacted all members of the Neighbourhood Watch team in Eaglescliffe to tell them the letter is a scam.

“We have had half-adozen calls about it. Obviously, from my side of it, the concern is the letter has the Neighbourhood Watch logo and is signed Neighbourhood Watch, and uses various telephone numbers, some for Cleveland Police and others for the anti-social behaviour team.”

Mr Baker added: “Detectives are dealing with it. There are certain things they are doing that will hopefully mean they will catch the character responsible. I got a phone call from a gentleman who got a letter yesterday.

He flew out of the door after the letter was delivered, but there was no one in the street. Hopefully, with people being our eyes and ears, we will get a description over the next few days.’’ Mr Baker said the Neighbourhood Watch logo could be easily downloaded from a computer and copied – as could a number of company logos.

“As far as I am concerned, it’s a scam letter and I am not sure whether the individual mentioned exists,” he said. “It is mischievous.

If the individual mentioned does not exist, what is the point of doing it?

The only point I can think of is to cause alarm and stress to people.”

A spokeswoman for Cleveland Police said: “We are taking this matter seriously and if anyone knows of, or can help us with, the origin of this letter, it will be fully investigated.

“We want to assure people that it has nothing to do with Neighbourhood Watch, or Cleveland Police, or the anti-social behaviour team.

And we advise people if they receive the letter, to destroy it.”

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 01642- 326326.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/3546539.Probe_into_poison_pen_letter_witchcraft_claims/
Report Spam   Logged

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: