Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 12:46:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

WORLD CANDIDATE

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WORLD CANDIDATE  (Read 138 times)
Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« on: July 25, 2008, 11:02:09 am »

WORLD CANDIDATE

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:04:53 am »

Obama's brief stop in Paris belies his popularity
GANLEY | July 25, 2008 11:10 AM EST | 

PARIS — Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama expected to spend just enough time in Paris on Friday for talks with the French president and a joint news conference, not a rousing speech like the one he delivered in Berlin.

Most newspapers headlined Obama's pending arrival, with the leftist daily Liberation giving a full front-page spread to "Obamania." After Berlin, where Obama drew some 200,000 spectators for a speech Thursday, the conservative newspaper Le Figaro wrote that Obama is not looking to draw crowds in Paris "because he knows his huge popularity in our country could ill serve him with a part the American centrist electorate."

That was a reference to the negative image France had for years among some Americans because of Paris' vocal opposition to the invasion of Iraq.

Only one venue was on Obama's Paris schedule _ the presidential Elysee Palace. President Nicolas Sarkozy greeted Obama as the 46-year-old senator stepped from his car and, after a round of posing for photos, the two disappeared inside the building. A joint news conference was scheduled immediately following their meeting.

Sarkozy, a conservative, had rushed back from a summit in southwestern France to host Obama.

Although Sarkozy and Obama are on different sides of the political fence, the French leader seems to have a soft spot for the U.S. senator.

"Obama? He's my buddy," Le Figaro quoted the president as saying before Obama's arrival. "I am the only Frenchman who knows him."

Sarkozy, elected in 2007, first met Obama in 2006 while a candidate for the French presidency.

Story continues below 
advertisement

Sarkozy offered considerably less to Obama's Republican rival, John McCain during a March visit to Paris. After 45 minutes of talks, McCain was left on his own, fielding questions from reporters in the courtyard of the Elysee.

French supporters of Obama were excited about the visit.

"He is young, not from the establishment. It's a change of U.S. politics, of the U.S. image in the world," said Samuel Solvit, the 22-year-old head of a Paris-based Obama committee.

"We are not here to influence the American vote, to use it politically. We are here to say that what is going on in the US has an influence on the world," Solvit, an economics student, said in an interview with Associated Press Television News.

After his brief trip to Paris, Obama was scheduled to travel to London, the last stop of a tour of the Middle East and Europe designed to reassure voters in the United States about his ability to lead the country and make his way with aplomb through world diplomacy.

In Berlin, Obama underscored his desire to take a frayed cross-Atlantic alliance in a new direction after eight years of the administration of President Bush.

"People of Berlin, people of the world, this is our moment. This is our time," Obama declared from a large podium erected at the base of the Victory Column in Tiergarten Park, located in the heart of Berlin and not far from where the Berlin Wall once divided the city.

"The walls between old allies on either side of the Atlantic cannot stand," he said. "The walls between the countries with the most and those with the least cannot stand. The walls between races and tribes, natives and immigrants, Christians and Muslims and Jews cannot stand."

Obama urged Europeans and Americans to "defeat terror and dry up the well of extremism that supports it" just as they joined to defeat communism a generation ago.
Report Spam   Logged
Brendon Webb

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 01:37:48 pm »

Obama: Partners abroad will help solve problems at home
Posted: 08:48 AM ET

CNN's Candy Crowley sat down with Obama Friday in Berlin.
BERLIN, GERMANY (CNN) — America’s allies in Europe are crucial to the success of anti-terror efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq and in helping solve economic problems at home, Sen. Barack Obama told CNN on Friday.

“Part of getting that right is having the Europeans engaged and involved in this same battle that we’re involved with,” the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee told CNN’s Candy Crowley in Berlin, Germany, on Friday where he had addressed an estimated crowd of 200,000 a day earlier.

Asked what message his traveling abroad three months before the election sent to Americans, Obama said getting commitments from the United States’ partners would help address some of the domestic issues Americans are facing.

Watch: CNN's Candy Crowley asks Obama: Why are we sitting in Berlin?

“If we have more NATO troops in Afghanistan, then that's potentially fewer American troops over the long term,” he said, “which means we're spending fewer billions of dollars, which means we can invest those billions of dollars in making sure we're providing tax cuts to middle-class families who are struggling with higher gas prices … that will have an impact on our economy.”

Obama left for Paris later Friday for a visit with French President Nicolas Sarkozy. The Illinois Democrat is in the middle of a multi-nation tour in an effort to boost his foreign policy credentials.

Obama, accompanied by fellow Sens. Jack Reed, D-Rhode Island, and Chuck Hagel, R-Nebraska, has visited Afghanistan, Kuwait, Iraq, Jordan, Israel and the West Bank, and Germany. He will visit Great Britain after his meeting with Sarkozy.

The meetings are meant “to send the message that Americans want to partner with these countries in order for us to be successful, and also to relieve some of the burden on our fighting men and women in Afghanistan and Iraq,” Obama said.

Asked if he saw his trip as some sort of rebuke against President Bush's foreign policy, Obama said that was not his intention.

"You know – that is not my job on this trip, I think that if you look at how we have tried
to conduct this trip – that I have tried to abide by a rule that has been historically I think very important – which is that whatever political differences that we have – we have one government at a time and that when public officials like myself who are not the president, travel overseas, that we are not in the business of spending all time second guessing our president," he said.

Tune in for the full interview on “The Situation Room” at 4 p.m. ET Friday.

Filed under: Barack Obama

Report Spam   Logged
Brendon Webb

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 01:38:38 pm »

Obama: King’s Mercedes 'a pretty smooth ride'
Posted: 11:32 AM ET

From CNN's Megan Zingarelli

Sen. Obama met with Jordan's King Abdullah Tuesday.
(CNN) — So what exactly did Barack Obama and King Abdullah discuss when the monarch drove the presidential candidate to the airport? CNN’s Candy Crowley asked the Illinois senator that very question.

Obama didn’t divulge “confidences between myself and King Abdullah” to Crowley. But he said the ride was smooth – perhaps too smooth for some.

“I gather he was going faster than it felt while I was in the car,” said Obama. “That is the report I was getting from the Secret Service afterwards.”

King Abudllah II of Jordan drove Obama to the airport in a Mercedes 600 this week as Obama readied to fly from Jordan to Israel. Their ride followed a meeting regarding the Arab-Israeli conflict.

Report Spam   Logged
Brendon Webb

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 01:41:33 pm »

Sarkozy: Obama’s my buddy
Posted: 11:56 AM ET

From CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt

Sarkozy called the Democratic nomination for Obama.

(CNN) – Before Barack Obama arrived in Paris, French President Nicolas Sarkozy was already cozying up to the presumptive Democratic nominee.
“Obama? He’s my buddy,” Sarkozy told French newspaper Le Figaro in an interview first noted by Politco.

“Unlike my diplomatic advisors, I never believed in Hillary Clinton’s chances,” he added, “I always said Obama would be nominated.”

The article says the two first met when Sarkozy visited Washington in 2006 as France’s Minister of the Interior and he has “very good memories” of the encounter.

John McCain visited the Elysee Palace in March after locking up his party’s nomination and often speaks highly of the conservative pro-American French president on the campaign trail.

Sarkozy has not endorsed either candidate but says that an Obama victory would “validate” his efforts to bring the two countries closer together. The pair are meeting for an hour and then will address the press. Le Figaro points out that Sarkozy’s office is trying to keep the visit relatively low-key.

Report Spam   Logged
Brendon Webb

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 01:42:35 pm »

Obama sidesteps Bush criticism
Posted: 12:45 PM ET

From CNN's Josh Levs

Obama and Sarkozy held a press conference Friday.
PARIS, France (CNN) — Sen. Barack Obama said Friday he was avoiding criticizing President Bush on his trip through Europe.

Speaking to reporters, the Democratic presidential candidate cited a tradition that "you don't criticize a sitting president while overseas," adding that "it's very important" that U.S. foreign policy is presented "in one voice."

"I can say affirmatively an effective U.S. foreign policy will be based on our ability not only to project power, but also to listen and to build consensus. And the goal of an Obama administration in foreign policy would be, obviously to act on behalf of the interests of the security of the United States, but also to listen to our allies," he said.

Report Spam   Logged
Brendon Webb

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 01:43:45 pm »

Obama: Trip hasn't changed mind on Iraq
Posted: 01:14 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Obama and Sarkozy held a press conference Friday.
PARIS, France (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama said his multi-nation tour did not change his mind on issue of Iraq and added that it has “deepened” his “set of concerns” especially when it came to Afghanistan and Iran.

“Going to Afghanistan confirmed for me that situation is worsening there,” Obama said at a news conference Friday at the Elysee Palace with French President Nicolas Sarkozy. “There was no leader I spoke with that was not concerned about the prospect of Iran getting a nuclear weapon.”

In a press conference that ranged from the serious to borderline love fest, Obama and Sarkozy each said they enjoyed the opportunity to meet and discuss their mutual concern on issues such as global warming and the situation in Darfur.

The French president U.S. senator emerged from behind closed doors to a crush of media crammed into what one French journalist described as the more “casual” area where the French president meets the press. “The French love the Americans,” Sarkozy said, which drew laughter from the crowd and Obama.

Obama returned the favor. “No one better captures the enthusiasm and energy of France than your president,” he said.

Obama, who the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, also joked that when Sarkozy visited Capitol Hill he was so well received that the cafeteria there started calling “french fries, french fries again.”

In a trip designed to convince American voters comfortable with the idea of Obama on a world stage, this three-and-a-half hour stop in Paris, far more than any of the other visits, seemed fit for a head-of-state.

In addition to the joint news conference, the official translation and the French and American flags positioned perfectly behind the two men, crowds lined the streets on the approach to the palace hoping to catch a glimpse of Obama’s motorcade. When Obama arrived, Sarkozy was patiently waiting for him outside on the steps to greet the limousine.

In fact, when a reporter asked how Obama would govern differently than President Bush, he had to remind assembled journalists that he was not quite there yet.

“I’m not the president,” Obama said. “I’m a United States senator. I am a candidate for president.”

Obama added that in a “wonderful tradition” one does not criticize a sitting president while visiting overseas.

Obama heads to London Friday evening to overnight and he will spend Saturday meeting with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Conservative Party leader David Cameron and former Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 02:50:17 pm »

and just like Hitler and Bush 41, Obama is calling for a New World Order.

But go on with your Obamaphilia.   Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 01:48:28 am »

www.exposeobama.com

Angry
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: