Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 11:29:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

How to Post Pictures

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Post Pictures  (Read 11330 times)
Mark of Australia

« on: May 11, 2007, 02:18:21 pm »

Hi All,

When I first came to this site I had no idea how to post pics(3 months ago lol)  .I tried and tried but just couldn't figure it out. Roll Eyes

Then, Good Samaritan Gwen  Smiley explained to me how to post the pics and..... I still couldn't do it !!  Shocked  lol

So eventually she spoon-fed me by preparing an account on a picture-hosting website for me to use.

I feel I should share this 'wisdom' with other hapless creatures who are in a similar predicament to what I was. Grin  Tongue -Bianca- Wink

Here is a link to that picture-hosting site. http://photobucket.com/

Set up an account,it's free.

1. Then when you see a pic on the net you like ,right-click on it and Save it to a folder on your comp.

2. Login to your account at photobucket and click on one of the 3 'Browse' buttons to search and choose a pic you want to Upload from your computer to the site.

3. With the pic now on the site ,under it you will see 3 'web addresses' -the one you want is the "URL Link". Left-click on the address so that it is highlighted,then right-click - ,on the menu that pops up click 'Copy'.  That address is now magically stored away until you are ready to use it. Tongue

4. Now on the post that you are writing on AO ,you want a pic in it so you click the 'Insert Image' button that is the one on the bottom row of text altering buttons above the text box ,- second from left.

5. You will see this pop up in the text box "img/img ", but in brackets. The cursor will be flashing in between the two 'img's' in brackets. right-click on the cursor in between the two img's and in the menu that pops up,click "Paste" .

6. All Done. Now Post or Preview your entry to see the pic displayed in all it's glory.

...P.S.  I am aware that was a very long-winded explanation and that there is probably a quicker and more efficient way of posting pics ,but that is just my 'upside-down-back-to-front-left-handed-Irish' way of doing it.  Tongue  For the complete beginner. And this is a result :

If you've done your research  Tongue you'll know which one I am . But wait !! have I just crossed the line by putting a personal pic up! Given that most here have good-looking movie star avatars ? Roll Eyes   
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:39:33 pm by Mark Ponta » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 03:46:06 pm »

YOU are to one on the top!  Nice - so is the guy in the bottom, just in case I
didn't get it right.  Yes, just about what imagined you to look like.

Mark, that's a lot to digest.  I'm going to have to print it out and

mull it over.  Thank you!

B
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Akelius
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 08:01:46 pm »

Mark gave a pretty detailed explanation, and that is certainly one way to do it.

If you want to simply post pictures quickly, though, the best way to do it, though, is to just right click on the picture on the webpage that has peaked your interest, get the website address, hit, "select all," then "copy," and past the website address in your post, like so:

Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 12:58:55 am »

Akelius
Could you be a little more specific.  I keep trying to "get the website address" but the in the drop-down box, "select all" is not highlighted.  Can you give it by the key stroke?
Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Akelius
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 01:18:22 am »

Hey Qoais, I don't use any key strokes. I just right click on the picture I like (with the mouse), a text box pops up, in the middle of the text box, there is the picture's URL (website address), I click on it, hit select all, and copy.

Then, of course, paste it in the message.

How old a computer do you have? Mine is only a couple of years old and I am running Windows XP.
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 01:50:58 am »

Nope - no URL in the drop down box.  Computer is a year old and using XP also.
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Akelius
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 04:14:17 am »

It won't say, "URL."

Right click on the picture.  You will get a box that pops up and one of the options will be "properties."

That is the selection you want to click on. 

Once you are there, the Properties box pops up and the URL address will be in the middle of the box. Click on the URL address, hit "select all," then "copy," then paste it in your post.

It's really very easy, try it on the Einstein picture above and see how it works, takes seconds.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 10:41:52 am »

Hi Akelius,
              I have tried your method and it is a much quicker way. The only possible down-side to it is if the website you got the picture from gets shutdown, then the picture will no longer be available so you'll get that nasty little white box with a red cross pop up instead of the pic, from then on .

The pic-hosting site is good if you want it to last. That is, assuming the pic-hosting site doesn't get shut down. Lips sealed
Report Spam   Logged
Akelius
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 05:19:39 pm »

That's very true, Mark, that's why it's important to get your pix from news and education sites as opposed to someone's personal website.  Smaller websites consider it "bandwidth theft," as it's like they suddenly gained more visitors than they can handle. 

Bigger websites expect a lot of visitors so they don't take any measures against it (although I have noticed that CNN takes it's pictures down sometimes). It's not theft, anyone can click on the picture themselves and see where the picture came from, thus giving whichever place posted it their proper credit.

The picture hosting site is good, too, especially if you want to post pix you've found from around the web that you've saved to your computer.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 05:23:02 pm by Akelius » Report Spam   Logged
Elric
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 03:52:59 pm »

Mark gave a good explanation on how to post pictures, but I would suggest that way is best for pictures stored on your personal computer that you would like to post here.

Here is the Wikipedia entry for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Conan_Doyle

You'll notice that there is a picture of Doyle in the top of the page, right of center.

The steps are as follows:

1. Right click on the picture.

2. A menu pops up, and the bottom choice is one that says, "properties."  You'll want to select that.

3. In the Properties Box that pops up afterwards, in the middle of the box is an item that says Address (URL).

4. Right Click on that and another menu box pops up.  Hit "select all."  The URL address should now be higlighted, then hit "okay."

5. Right click yet another time and this time, choose, "copy," once again, hit "okay."

6.  Next, paste the URL address in your post and highlight it.  This is done by dragging your cursor across the URL address.

7. Above the smiley icons are an array of buttons. Click on the second one on the bottom row, which looks like a framed picture, in blue and green.

URL tags (IMG) should now surround the URL address.

8.  Hit, "post," at the bottom of your post.

The picture should now be in your post and look something like this:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 04:28:37 pm by Elric » Report Spam   Logged
Elric
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 03:57:33 pm »

The key is to get used to right clicking, most mouses have two buttons, the second one on top is where all the technical proficiency tends to be.

I think anyone who hasn't posted pictures might want to try it, using my above instructions.  It is really very easy and picures make a world of difference to illustrate your points, not to mention don't take up any space here. 

Any with any questions, by all means post them here.  I believe that most of us can answer them.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 04:25:36 pm »

Thank you, Erlic;

A couple of points, though:

#6.  PAST or POST the URL?

--- >       Does CURSOR = MOUSE?

--->      Is the whole procedure conducted by RIGHT clicking?

EXCEPT for:

# 8.  "Hit Post - LEFT click, yes?

Thank you, B

Report Spam   Logged

Elric
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 04:31:36 pm »

Bianca,

6. should be "paste," I've corrected it. 

Mouse and cursor are the same thing, you're right about that.

I actually think that the whole procedure is done by right clicking.  Care to give it a try with one of the pictures listed above?
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 05:48:09 pm »

Erlic, one more thing:

#5......"Right click yet another time"..........ON PICTURE?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gave it a whirl and no, not all responded to RIGHT click.  I "winged" it.

In the end I did end up with something:   the square with a RED X - but the picture did NOT
COME UP.  We got to work out a few minor 'bugs'.

I sort of got the idea.  Not too difficult at all, pretty much like copying print.  With variations......

LOVE IT!  It's like getting out of a "cage"......I'm still awed when I copy print, "You can't teach
an OLD dog NEW tricks" is an outright lie, if the dog is willing.......

HUGS,
B
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 06:28:59 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 06:50:50 pm »

Hi Bianca,

5. Right click yet another time ...on the URL Address, NOT the picture. 

Then, of course, you PASTE it in the post.

It's really easy, people are making it sound more complicated than it really is.

Brooke

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 06:53:09 pm by Brooke » Report Spam   Logged

"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: