Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:41:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Your Worst Nightmare (Final Version)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Worst Nightmare (Final Version)  (Read 1056 times)
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: July 18, 2008, 12:22:36 am »

The following is meant to be a satirical story on politics in the U.S. today.  In no way, should it be taken as an insinuation that the Bush Administration is engaged in illegal acts, covering things up or that all politicians are criminals.  We have no evidence that they all are. 

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,2704.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:27:43 am »

Your Worst Nightmare

by

Rachel Dearth

It was the summer of 2008.  President Bush and Vice President Cheney were sitting in the White House, having lunch in a private cafeteria.  Normally, they had an awful lot of things to say to one another, but today, each was strangely quiet. The latest war with Iran was not going well.  Sure, they managed to take out parts of the Iranian nuclear reactor with an air strike, and in the process, kill another 10,000 civilians, but the world was madder than ever at them. First, the Iranian navy closed off access to the Straits of Hormuz and oil prices now stood at a whoping $250 a barrel.  When the U.S. Navy tried and stopped the blockade, both Russia and China invaded Iran as well, ostensibly to "protect it."  Now the U.S. not only couldn't break the blockade, it couldn't invade as well, without widening the conflict into an even wider war.  To make matters worse, the U.N. had passed a resolution condemning the U.S. aggression, and the Bush Administration just had to sit there and take it.  They still owned Iraq, but both Russian and Iranian troops now crossed over the border with impunity, to conduct raids on U.S. troops, as if sensing Bush was incapable of making all out war on them.

The crowds that gathered in Washington on a daily basis now were in the millions, all of them now not only demanding that Bush and Cheney be impeached, but that they faced criminal charges as well. The crowd was tired, broke, forced out of their homes, inflation had gone through the roof, and many had lost their jobs. The U.S. economy was in the midst of a depression like people had never seen.  Not only had the bottom fallen out of the mortgage business, it was too expensive to drive their cars anymore and the Chinese had called in all their U.S. loans.  The TV in the private dining room was on, tuned to FOX News, of course, and, amidst the crowds, a news anchor managed to corner Speaker of the House  Nancy Pelosi on her way into work. 
    "Speaker Pelosi!  Will you begin impeachment proceedings against the President?"  The anchor demanded.
    And, about her, the people chanted, "Impeach!  Impeach!"
    "I can't..!"  Pelosi cried.  "Impeachment is off the table, it doesn't matter what they do..!"  And then, Pelosi began tro cry, pushed her way through the crowds into the capital building.
    "Well, you heard it," the anchor person said grimly.  "That's the story here, Brit."
    And, anchor person Brit Hume stated. "And well they shouldn't.  Obviously, any impeachment proceedings would be out of sheer partisan purposes.  I can't see what the far left's problem is with this president, they are so filled with hate."

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:12:23 am by Rachel Dearth » Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:29:47 am »

Another FOX News camera then made it's way to Harry Reid, who was, even at that moment, making his way to the Senate building. 
    "Senator Reid!  Has your mind been changed on impeachment at all with the advent of the war with Iran?"
     "President Bush and Vice President Cheney had better get their act together and work out a diplomatic solution to this problem," Reid muttered. "The U.S. military is already stretched thin, I thought they both knew that."
    "Sir, are you sure you want to take that position?"  A FOX reporter asked him.  "What if someone in the Republican Party decides to run ads on you saying that you are soft on terror? Bush has linked the Iranian crisis with Iran, which, of course, linked with Al Quada.  Don't you want to get the people who attacked us on 9/11?"
     And Reid just stared at him, turned pale and continued his trudge to the Capital Building.
     "There you have it," the FOX reporter told Brit Hume.  "Senator Reid giving comfort to the enemy again."
     "It is especially unpatriotic to be against the decisions of the President in a time of war," Brit Hume said,  "It is no wonder that people consider the Democrats soft on defense. Those kinds of statements only help or enemies."
     In their private dining room, Cheney smiled wryly at the TV set.  "Good old Brit," he said.  "We spin this just the right way, and people will end up blaming the Democrats for the way things turned out in Iran."
     Bush then muttered sullenly.  "What are all those people doing out there, protesting?  I am not even appreciated, all the things I have done for America, to keep it safe. I am unappreciated in my time. All great men aren't.  My term is almost up and look at me, I'm totally unappreciated..." He fished his spoon through his Captain Crunch cereal disinterestedly.

Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:35:57 am »

Just then, Karl Rove walked in, with Secretary of Defense Bill Gates.  He had put on quite a few pounds again since the current crisis, he was no longer his athletic looking self.  In his hand, he carried the latest copy of the Wall Street Journal, become Ruper Murdoch's latest rag, having totally deteriorated in the last year since he bought it.  Even the journal's headline was quit uncomplimentary: 

CROWDS MARCH ON WASHINGTON, BUSH APPROVAL RATING DOWN TO 10%

The Republicans also weren't faring well in the polling in the current Presidential election either.  The McCain/Romney ticket was down in double digits to the Obama/Clinton ticket, pundits were predicting the election all but over.
    "We need a diversion," Rove said simply.  "Something to get the American people to stop thinking about Iran and to scare them back into our camp again."
    Bush looked up.  "You mean phony up another terrorist attack?"
    And Cheney then put a finger to his mouth and "shushed" him, with a gesture towards Gates.
    "Oh," Bush said and returned to fishing through his Captain Crunch.
    And Gates glance centered on Bush, wondering what that latest comment implied...

Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:51:35 am »

"It doesn't have to be a terrorist attack, but something has to be done to give us an excuse to get the situation under control, maybe declare martial law," Rove stated.  "The easiest way would be to fake an attempt on the life of a high-ranking official in Washington. It would dominate the headlines, we would again be setting the agenda and give us an excuse to once again consolidate our base.  It can be arranged to be blamed on a liberal, of course."
    "Harry Reid," Cheney cracked with a smile.  "No, Patrick Leahy could be the assassin, we'd kill two birds with one stone."
    "I hope you are both kidding," Gates stated. "I would never be a party to something like this."
    "Of course we're kidding, Bob," Cheney told him, having a bite of his eggs.  "What kind of man lives his whole life in Washington without developing some kind of a conscience?"
    Don Rumsfeld then burst into the room, with Alberto Gonzales on his heels.  Though Rumsfeld was dismissed from the administration nearly two years ago publicly, he still went to all the meetings, was in on discussing strategy and still held an office in the Pentagon.  "Jumpin' Jiminy, I am sure hungry!  I hope those cooks remembered to make me some nice crispy bacon this time."
    "Pull up a seat, Don, we were just discussing strategy," Cheney told him. 
    "Strategy, strategy for what?"  Rumsfeld asked him.
    "To take the public's mind off of Iran and this," Rove told him, gesturing to the newspaper he still hadn't let go of.
     "Oh, for Pete's sakes!"  Rumsfeld exclaimed, digging into his crispy bacon and eggs. "Just create another terrorist attack like we did on 9/11, blame it on the Muslims again and wee!  Away we go."
     There was a sudden tense silence in the room and then Gates was the first one to break it. "What..?"  He said.  "What did you say?"
     "It was a joke," Rove told him with a smile. "You still haven't learned a thing about Don's sense of humor."
     "What did you say??"  Gates demaned of Rumsfeld. "Tell me!"
     "Now calm down, Bob," Cheney told him.  "There is no need for that kind of reaction in here.  As Karl said, it was a joke.  Perhaps you are right in that some things shouldn't be fair game to joke about."
     Gates had grabbed hold of Rumsfeld's lapels in his anger, and Rumsefeld now shrugged him away, his bespectacled eyes looking up at him slowly. "Bob..! Listen to the man, I was just kidding.  Jumpin' Jupiter, doesn't anyone around here have a sense of humor anymore?" 
Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 12:59:36 am »

Gates sat in his office, about an hour later, mulling over the meeting most troubledly.  The TV was on, tuned to FOX News, of course, and Bush was in the Rose Garden, giving a press conference concerning the latest detentions, this time seemingly random round-ups of American citizens.
    "I know that the American people don't like being detained, if I were in their shoes I wouldn't want to be detained either," Bush said with a slight chuckle.  "But what they have to realize is that all these folks being rounded up were people who had links to people planning attacks on American soil.  The world has changed since 9/11."
    NBC News reporter David Gregory then asked. "Sir, what is your response to the fact that none of these people who have "disappeared" had any links to terrorist groups, let alone Al Quada?  In fact, the common thread is that they participated in anti-war rallies.  From appearances, it simply looks as if you are simply using reaction to the Iranian crisis to round up people who oppose your positions and speak out about them."
    At this, Bush ruffled. "Dave, would you like for the Islamo-fascists to attack your family??  We have brave American troops fighting for your freedom over in Iraq and Iran, the fate of our liberty is at stake!  Now, where I come from, it is unpatriotic not to support them.  The world has changed since 9/11."
    At this, Helen Thomas asked bluntly.  "Mr. President, you are down to 10% in the polls, the U.N. has passsed resolutions basically saying they despise the United States, we are on the brink of a world war, and the current Republican ticket is twenty points behind in the polls.  Sir, why don't you and Vice-President Cheney just resign?"
     "Well, Helen, lots of Presidents haven't been appreciated in their time - look at Truman.  Abe Lincoln wasn't appreciated, too, and he went through some pretty rough times.  Look...the world changed since 9/11!  We are no longer safe.  It's about to me to worry about the security of this nation, I'm the Commander Guy. It's up to the rest of you to go about your lives, take airplanes, and go shopping. Thank you very much."
    And, as Bush departed the press conference, more questions were fired at him:
    "Interest rates and unemployment has doubled, is there any plan to deal with it?"
    "Is it true China bombed our troops and we didn't retaliate?"
    "Where are all the people that have been arrested?"
    "What about the rumors of a coup in Pakistan?"
    And the anchors at FOX News just chuckled among themselves, one stating.  "Well, it looks like the President certainly got a difficult time from the liberal media today, and, as usual, handled it very well."
    Fred Barnes, FOX commentator added.  "Everyone I talked to has said that things are going well in both Iran and Iraq.  I don't know which wars they're watching."

Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 01:04:07 am »

FOX News then showed a clip of the World Trade Centers crumbling to the ground in a massive display of rubble, smoke and dust and Britt Hume then remarked, almost casually. "It almost makes me wonder who the Democrats think our real enemy is:  Al Quada or the Bush Administration.  They don't seem to draw a distinction between either one."
    "They're living in fantasyland," Fred Barnes agreed. "And the secenth anniversary of September 11th is just around the corner, too.  How shameful."
    Then, as Gates pondered that, he received a knock on the door.  It was his page, Linda Kent.  Since the latest budget crisis, the White House had to cut back on nearly all of it's clerical staff.  What was left was a group of unpaid volunteers, interns and pages, who had come to Washington to help out, each of them short on experience, high on ethusiasm. 
    Linda smiled jubliantly to Gates, as if she had no idea that the entire world was going to hell. She was still a Republican and a supporter of the President, Gates had no idea why.  She looked at the TV set. "Wasn't the President's speech wonderful?  I have a feeling that things will turn up for him soon in the polls."
    'They couldn't get much worse,' Gates mused.
    The TV was noe replaying, once again, the towers falling down on September 11th as they announced their special coverage to commemorate the event on the Wednesday of next week:  the typical speech by Bush at Ground Zero, followed by one by Presidential candidate Rudy Guiliani.  Gates had already seen an advance copy of Bush's speech, it was laced with more shameless attempts to tie in the wars in Iraq and Iran with September 11th.  And then, Gates thought to himself, 'it all went back to September 11th.  Would Bush be half as successful at his attempts to drive the world all to hell without that one Pearl Harbor like event? Hardly.'
   "Linda," Gates told her.  "I'd like you to fetch me all the files on September 11th.  Not the usual things, the confidential stuff.  You will find it in the secret fileroom behind the main room. Get your fellow intern, Jeff, to help if there is a lot of it."
   "Will do, boss!"  Linda said cheerfully.  "We have to do all we can to stop Al Quada and it's evil methods. And we have to make sure we keep fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here!"
   "Yes, true..." Gates mumbled to himself.   

Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:10:55 am »

It would have normally taken some doing to get around the Pentagon security that guarded the secret file rooms, but budget cutbacks had diminshed the staff to one guard, and all he needed to let them in was Gates security pass. Now Jeff and Linda were peering through a voluminous amount of 9/11 material, trying to figure out how many to bring to Gates.
    Linda didn't mind admitting to herself that she didn't like working with Jeff.  He was too smug, too wealthy, and too certain he was "going places." He would sell his mom out for a promotion, she thought.
    One file caught Linda's eyes:  "Rendition, 2001."  Almost in a trance, she picked it up, as if drawn to it. 
    Rendition was the apprehension of foriegn nationals to sequestor them away in the CIA secret prisons, there to be detained, even tortured for years.  It was supposedly used only for terrorism suspects, but some of the people in the prisons would be held for years, only to be released, uncharged, be eventually shipped to Guantonomo, or worse, never to be heard from again.  There was an upsurge in renditions in the years first after 9/11, but Bush now claimed that all the CIA secret prisons had been closed.
   "Jeff," Linda told him.  "We weren't rendering people before 9/11, were we?  I mean before 9/11?"
   Jeff told her.  "Rendition started with the Clinton Administration, you know that as well as I do. You also know the old rule they told us here on the first day."
   "When in doubt, blame Clinton," they both said in unison and chuckled at their ingenuity.  "Seriously, though, Jeff, this file is from 2001, dated before 9/11, and it is a thick one, too.  Why would we be rendering people before 9/11, in the first eight months of office?"
    "Let me see that," Jeff said, and took the file from her, opening it.  The names read like a list made up entirely of Arab men, each one followed by a picture and the date they were "rendered:"

Abdulaziz al-Omari (02/02/01), Abdulaziz al-Omari (03/10/01), Wail al-Shehri (03/07/01), Waleed al-Shehri (03/14/01)...

"All these guys were rendered before 9/11.  What reason would we have to do that?"  Linda asked.
   "There was the attack on the U.S. Cole the year before," Jeff suggested.  "Maybe they were wanted in questioning for that.  The Bush Adminstration is far more 'on the ball' than people give it credit for, Linda.  They are tireless in their pursuit of justice."
    And then, he thumbed the pages and came up on the next name in the file, along with the accompanying picture:

Mohamed Atta, (rendered 01/29/01). 

And, though Linda was unfamiliar with most of the details of the 9/11 attacks, this picture was one even she knew about:
    "He was one of the 9/11 hijackers!  What were we doing rendering him before he even hijacked one of the planes??  How could he have even hijacked a plane if we already had him in our custody??"
    Jeff paused.  "I'm certain there is some good explanation," Jeff told her, now looking startled himself. 
    Linda ripped the file from his hands.  "Let me see that!"  Next, she a wide array of official memoes marked "top secret," pictures, even a few handwritten notes. There was a picture of Atta's body being carried away on a stretcher, a note upon it reading, 'Atta died in custody 04/01/01, that makes him our April fool.'  Another picture showed another Arab man beaten to a pulp, his lifeless eyes staring up through a host of bruises.  The caption read, 'Satam al-Suqami, slipped and fell in his cell,' and there was a smiley face by it. 
    Linda saw enough to know:  "These guys didn't do 9/11, they were set up!  How could they do it when they were either all in our custody or dead at the time??  I would have voted for George Bush in 2004 if I had been old enough to vote, man, what a rotten thing to do, and to your own country, too!!!"   
   Jeff wasn't quite ready to make that jump.  "The budget cutbacks have left us with an unpredented access to the White House. I'll stop by President Bush's office today and ask him about this, provided that he will see me."
   "You do that," Linda told him.  "I will never vote Republican ever in my life after this!  Not if they masterminded the biggest terrorist attack in our times!!! He is not only as bad as the Democrats say he is, he's worse!!"

Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 02:05:52 am »

Gates watched grimly as FOX News opened with it's breaking news.  Bill O'Reilly got the pleasure of being the one to break the scoop: 
     "Tonight, the left wing radicals are crying tonight as once again the Bush Administration has produced proof of just how dangerous the world is..much to their grief!  It seems that two Al Queada agents had infiltrated the Washington intern program and managed to get two of it's own - Americans, nonetheless - in positions close to the President!  Jeff Ramon was shot and killed by Secret Service agents after an attempt on the President's life, an attempt that happened in the White House, nonetheless!  His partner, Linda Brown, meanwhile, was apprehended in the Speaker of the House's office a short time later.  It seems that credit has to go to President Bush in part, for helping to apprehend his attacker."
       Cut to an exclusive interview with President Bush, outside the Oval Office, being interviewd by Britt Hume:
       "Well, this Jeff fella just pulled out a gun and I ended up wrestling him to the ground," Bush told the haggard lookingTV anchor.  "Instinct took over, I said, 'Jeff, whatcha doin' with that gun?  Then, when he pointed it at me, I lunged for him before he pulled the trigger and managed to knock him down.  Then the Secret Service came in and filled the guy with holes."
       "That is quite a feat on your part, Mr. President," Hume told him, with a broad smile.  "I hope you're aware that this makes you a hero in the war on terror and that America was lucky not to lose you."
       Bush smirked with his trademark crooked smile, obviously liking that.  "Well, I don't know about any of that hero stuff, Britt, I am just a guy who has always reacted good uner pressure.  I walk it like I talk it."
      "And there we have it," Hume then turned back to face the camera.  "Surely, one of the most heroic examples in the war on terror and from our own Commander-in-Chief. On a personal note, Senators Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and John Edwards have been hinting lately that the war on terror is more hype than reality.  Thank God that they are not in charge of the government, or else Al Queada might be in all our houses.  This is Britt Hume, signing off."
       And, back in the studios, O'Reilly stated.  "Wellllllll..!  The left wing looneybin was proven wrong again. Here is a prediction, straight from the factor:  Bush polling numbers will be on the rise after this attack as people will realize what a hero he actually is.  Yes, hero!  You hear that, secular progressives??  And remember, you heard it  here first, on the Factor.  And though this Linda person's parents are saying she couldn't be involved with any of this, I say, we have heard it all before."
      Gates sighed wearily and then turned off the TV.  It never ceased to amaze him just how quick Karl Rove was at spinning events to his advantage. Picking up the folders he had on his desk, he stuffed them into his briefcase.  He had a meeting with other cabinet officials concerning national defense, but had an unscheduled stop to make before then. 
      Getting into his limousine awaiting outside the Pentagon, his driver asked him.  "The White House, sir?"
      "The Washington Monument first," Gates told him.
      After a short drive, the car pulled up outside the Washington Monument and Gates exited the car, there was Dennis Kucinich sitting on a park bench beside the monument.  "Glad that you could make it." Gates told him.
      "Why here?"  Kucinich asked.  "Why not in your office, in the light of day? Why didn't you want to talk on the phone?"
       "All the phones and my office are wiretapped, yours, too," Gates told him, then took out the folders and handed them to the Ohio representative.  "You get this to anyone in the government and the press that you think you can trust, anyone who is not a corporatist."
      "Hard to find anyone here that fits the bill," Kucinich told him.  "But I think I know one person who does. What is it?" 
      "It's self explanatory," Gates told him.  "From the secret files of the Pentagon, don't contact me again."
      "Gates - that assasination attempt on the President today," Kucinich asked him.  "Bogus, right?"
      Gates told him.  "Jeff Ramon was as clean as they come, from one of the richest donors in the Republican Party.  The sad thing is that his parents won't even make any waves about what happened, they are good soldiers in the cause, whatever the cause is anymore…"  And then he turned to go.
      Kucinich began thumbing through the filed and asked him. "Why me?"
      Gates looked back at him. "Who else?"  And then, he walked back to his car, just as, overhead, the crows began cawing and circling. 

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,2704.30.html
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 11:25:30 am »

Hi Rachel

Jumpin' Jimminy that was clever! I loved that line about not having evidence that 'all' politicians are crooked.  This is really changed a lot, I think the shorter version has more impact and still makes the point.  I hate to say this but I think all the pictures kind of distract the reader from the story, at least in this type of format.
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 03:35:43 am »

Hey Unknown,

Thanks for the compliment!  Actually, it isn't done yet, it is actually probably going to be longer than the original version was, sort of like a novella (the last one didn't even have an ending).

I stuck all these pictures in there cause I thought the enhanced the realism of it all, like an actual event happening.  Pix aren't for every story, but I wanted this one to seem more like a news event than a work of fiction!

I did have to change a lot of stuff.  Believe it or not, I originally had the presidential candidates as Hillary vs. Guiliani, to show how things were back then.

How have you been?

Rachel
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 10:37:55 am »

Hi Rachel

Oh, I thought it might not be done, but the "Crows began to circle," seemed like a great line for an ending. Hillary and Gullione did seem like the likely nominies then.

I'm doing OK... how are you?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 04:41:39 pm by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 09:50:27 pm »

I could be better!  Too bad I am not independently wealthy and a famous author.

The "Crows began to circle" is a great line,  crows have always symbolized death in literature! 
Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 09:58:16 pm »

Gates was on time for the National Defense meeting but was, oddly enough, the last one to arrive - the Bush Administration was nothing if not prompt for their meetings, lateness was frowned upon.  Seated around the table was a virtual who's who of Gates' least favorite people - Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, Condaleeza Rice, George Tenent, Alberto Gonzales, Karen Hughes, Ari Fleischer, Bill Krystal, Donald Rumsfeld, and, of course, George W. Bush.  Half these people here weren't even technically working for the Bush Administration anymore, had, in fact, resigned years ago, but here they were, still running things, unbeknownst to the public.
     "A little late, aren’t we, Bob?"  Cheney asked him.
     Gates looked at his watch.  "No, Dick, I'm right on time." 
    "Suit yourself," Cheney smiled humorlessly.  "Before we begin, say, is there anything you'd like to ask us about concerning 9/11?  Come on, we know you've done some snooping, of course, it's not you who will be the one paying for it, it's whoever else you decide to get involved in it.  And right now, it just so happens to be two young people.  Come on, let's get it out of the way."
     And all eyes around the table centered on Gates, shamelessly, waiting for him to say his piece.
     Gates paused, meeting their eyes.  "I saw the files.  Atta and the others rendered before the 9/11 attacks?  What would the public say if it found out that these alleged hijackers blamed for 9/11 were just pasties??  How could you do something like this, it was the worst attack on American soil, and it was the work of the people seated around this table!!"
     The statements were greeted by a variety of responses. Krystal chuckled and muttered, "Boy scout." Condaleeza Rice rolled her eyes and said with a flippant laugh.  "I didn’t hear anything."  Bush chuckled cheerfully and Gonzales laughed nervously, apparently because he was Commander-in-Chief.  Cheney reacted without any emotion whatsoever. 
      "Oh, for Pete's sakes!"  Rumsfeld reacted angrily.  "We only lost a measley 3,000 on 9/11, and our initial projections were in the tens of thousands!  The Trade Centers had a capacity of 80,000 apiece during the workday, those people got off easy!  What kind of a guy are you, Bob?"
      "Look at how much we have all profited since 9/11," Rove told him.  "I happen to know you own some stock in Exxon, too, Bob. Don't you think it was worth 3,000?  Heck, I'm pretty sure that 3,000 people die all throughout the world everyday.  At least, when this 3k died, they died for a worthy cause."
      "A worthy cause??"  Gates yelled at them. "So that you can turn a democracy into a virtual dictatorship??"
     "So we can increase profit," Condaleeza Rice told him, rolling her eyes.  "Do we have to explain everything?"
     "I'm pretty sure your income has benefited from this, too, Bob," Karen Hughes laughed, good-naturedly.
     "I'll take this one," Cheney said, clearing his throat.  "Bob, at the start of this administration, even during the 2000 campaign, we made a decision to make some hard choices for America in order to insure our status in the global market during the 21st century. It seemed to be a practical tradeoff at the time, and I am aware that some people would not agree with the choices we made.  However, we made them and what is done is done.  We're visionaries, we're patriots."
     "Patriots??"  Gates exclaimed.  "What kind of people are you, don't any of you even feel any sense of guilt for what you have done?"
     And every face, every set of eyes he met around the table was simply a mask of stone, Bush, in fact, was simply bored at this point and was cracking a joke with Alberto about being the latest hero in the war on terror. 
     "The point is moot at this juncture, Bob," Cheney told him.  "We made a policy decision and we're sticking with it.  We have, in our means, the ability to cover up any story concerning this and deal with all the people who won't shut up.  That includes anyone you choose to tell.  By telling them what you know, I hope you know that you are putting their lives in danger, and you are the one most responsible for the consequences.  We don't want to have to deal with you personally, Bob, you are a good friend and we go way back, believe me, I understand your reservations, although I don't have them myself.  However, don't believe your past relationship with us makes you immune to such treatment, you aren't."
     And Gates just sat there, half-shocked, half disgusted but one thing was for certain, he had nothing else to say.
     "Now then," Cheney told them.  "Let's get to the real purpose of this meeting and stop reviewing old history: how we can cancel the upcoming elections and justfy holding onto the presidency."
Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 10:00:15 pm »

"What?"  Gates asked, unable to believe his ears.
      "We've decided we don't intend to leave power," Cheney told him.  "The Clinton/Obama ticket is ahead in the polls right now by a good twenty points. If it were closer, we could have our friends from Diebold switch it, but that is a little too wide of a margin for our machines to handle convincingly. The President will get a brief bump out of today's events.  It won’t last, and the voting public will go back to it’s typical attitude, which will rub off on the Republican ticket. The solution to this is simple - assasinate both candidates of the Democratic ticket, lay the blame on Al Queda, release a new tape of Bin Laden crowing about it, then simply announce that the situation is too turblulent now to leave office. We are already laying out plans for our third term in office."
     "You're crazy," Gates told him. "The American people aren't going to stand for it."
     "For pete's sakes, what are they going to do, heavens to betsy..?"  Rumsfeld asked him.  "Jumpin' jupiter, we control the army, the navy, the air force and the marines. Are a few survivalist wackos going to pose much of a threat to us?  Time for you to grow a set, Bob."
    "History will regard us as great men," Tenent told Gates. 
     "Because we'll be the ones writing," Krystal joked, and they all laughed, all but Gates.
     "Plans for the third term," Cheney cleared his throat.  "The people are upset over the respective wars with Iraq and Iran.  I think we are all in agreement that the best remedy to take their mind off about the situation is to have another war.  Who with?  The choice is obvious.  Don, would you like to take over from here..?"
      Rumsfeld stood up and pointed to a map on the bulletin board. "Canada," he said, stiking it with his pointer.  "Canada is closest to us so there won't be as much whining to get the troops back, plus it also has the second biggest oil deposits in the world.  It's ripe for the pickings!"
     "We have always had good relations with Canada," Krystal said.  "It will take one heck of a public relations campaign to get public support for an invasion."
     "Not at all, Bill," Cheney told him.  "We have had a long history of bad relations with Canada.  We have had several disputes with them on the direction of Niagra Falls and, during the American Revolutionary War, we even invaded them.  We go way back, but that is neither here nor there." 
     Rumsfeld again took over.  "We own some land in Canada under the name of an Arab front company. We'll build some terrorist training camps there, launch some attacks on New York (again) and then use our bombers to take them out.  We'll leave the bodies of a few of the guys we rendered there amidst the rubble.  Canada will protest, we'll tell everyone we are looking for a diplomatic solution.  Then, we'll use some Canadian bombers and have them bomb New York again!  We need an event to really outrage people.  I think if we had them take out the Empire State Building would be sufficient, or should it be the Chrysler Building..?"  He looked around for approval.
     "I am sick of the Chrysler Building," Krystal snickered.
     "The Empire State Building is more famous, more of an icon," Rove stated.  "We'll go for that."
     "Just don't make it Macy's," Rice joked, and then they all laughed. 
      "Let's make the date on Halloween day," Rove told them.  "We have been getting a lot of heat from the religious groups about cutting back on the importance of it. Who would want to celebrate Halloween again if it fell on the same date that the Empire State Building was cut down?"
       "We'll get Rush in here to drum up support among his dittoheads for a war with Canada," Cheney told them. "I gather a lot of them will be eager for a new war.  Rush is always good at following his cues.  George, I think we'll also need to get Mr. Dobson in here to drum up support among the religious right. They'll want something big in return for their support. I suggest using the FDA to confiscate all the birth control in America, we'll simply tell everyone it isn't safe."
       "I'm on the job, Dick," Bush told him.  "We'll put those snotty Democrat women back where they belong - in the bedroom!"
        Cheney looked around at all the faces around the table.  "I think we have done some good work here today, people. Remember - sometimes, a patriot has to do things that are a bit distasteful.  However, if you love this country as much as I do, you'll realize that the ends justify the means and another Pearl Harborlike event is needed to do what we need to do. Let’s get to work, people."
       And, as Gates left the room, he found he couldn’t get out of the room fast enough. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: