Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 01:06:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

BAR: Cynthia McKinney Deserves Your Support, Obama Does Not

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BAR: Cynthia McKinney Deserves Your Support, Obama Does Not  (Read 1177 times)
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2008, 08:55:08 am »

Hi Monique

Well I have to admit that I personally was skeptical because of the very reasons you list, but the CIA believed it, told the President it was a "slam dunk."  Apparently Colon Powel believed it.  They say Hindsight is twenty-twenty, you have to ask yourself if you were in that position would you trust your own instincts or trust the experts. After the collapse of the Soviet Union there are a number of rouge agents selling nuclear weapons, they can't account for much of there stockpile. There was always the chance that Saddam could have gotten his hands on plutonium, it is a corrupt world we live in and it is a big desert where all manner of things could be hidden.  I personally did not believe that Saddam was a direct threat to the United States, but still if he did have or aquired nuclear weapons it would unsettle the balance of power in the Middle East and would have been a direct threat to Israel.

Bush went well beyond the intentions of congress, the UN inspectors were still in Iraq when he invaded.
It never fails to amaze me how sneaky and dishonest he really is... he gave Saddam an ultimatum to leave the country, then ivade before the deadline was up.

Like I said, I watched the actual debates over this on the House Floor, it was never intended to give the President the authority for a full scale invasion. The War Powers Act does give the President the power to use military without congresses approval but only for a limited time and then congress is still supposed to have the final say. 

Hi Volitzer

Yes it is unconstitutional and is another example of the devolving of legislative powers into the hands of the execuitive branch.
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: