Atlantis Online
December 09, 2019, 10:00:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

BAR: Cynthia McKinney Deserves Your Support, Obama Does Not

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BAR: Cynthia McKinney Deserves Your Support, Obama Does Not  (Read 416 times)
Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2008, 11:11:09 am »

Hi Unknown,

Well I have to admit that I personally was skeptical because of the very reasons you list, but the CIA believed it, told the President it was a "slam dunk."  Apparently Colon Powel believed it. 

Nahhhh, that was George Tenent, who was a Bush lackey. The CIA itself actually told the White House, prior to the 2003 State of the Union, that they couldn't verify the uranium claim. "Somehow" it ended up in the speech anyway.  All this has been documented in the press, but the press had a habit of burying stuff like this unless you're reading the New York Times.

Like I said, I watched the actual debates over this on the House Floor, it was never intended to give the President the authority for a full scale invasion. The War Powers Act does give the President the power to use military without congresses approval but only for a limited time and then congress is still supposed to have the final say.

Again, Congress never states what specific military action it wants in their resolutions, because it is up to the President to conduct the war.  But common sense would tell you that Bush planned an invasion.  We had been bombing Iraq anytime we wanted under Clinton, if Bush simply wanted to bomb them again, he wouldn't have gone to the trouble of asking for the resolution.

Also, all the members knew what they were voting for, don't believe the "spin."  Edwards apologized for his vote, Hillary pretended that Bush "tricked" her.  Everyone knew we were headed for war, look at the statements from that day, especially Robert Byrd's.  There were protests all over the world.  Twenty-one Democratic Senators voted against it.  Obama not only gave that speech in 2002, he also spoke at an anti-war rally in Chicago, in 2003, just before the war.

All the people who voted for the war did so for one reason - to get political advantage.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: