Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 02:53:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

McKinney Running For President As Green Candidate

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McKinney Running For President As Green Candidate  (Read 164 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: July 13, 2008, 10:32:33 am »

McKinney running for president as Green candidate

Cynthia McKinney, ex-Georgia congresswoman, defeats three for nomination

Party spokesman: "Every vote that she gets helps the Green Party"

McKinney, a former Democrat, served six terms in Congress

(CNN) -- The liberal environmentalist Green Party nominated former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney as its presidential candidate Saturday.

Cynthia McKinney represented a suburban Atlanta, Georgia, district for six terms as a Democrat.

McKinney, 53, held off three rivals to win the party's nomination during its convention in Chicago, Illinois. She picked journalist and activist Rosa Clemente as her running mate.

Green Party spokeswoman Scott McLarty acknowledged McKinney was a "long shot" for the White House, but said, "Every vote that she gets helps the Green Party."

"The United States needs an alternative party," McLarty said. "The narrow two-party system we have right now has not served us very well."

McKinney represented a suburban district of Atlanta, Georgia, as a Democrat in the U.S. House of Representatives for six terms -- five consecutively.

First elected in 1992, she lost a primary challenge in 2002 after suggesting in a radio interview that members of the Bush administration stood to profit from the war that followed the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

In 2004 she ran again and won with a low-key campaign in which she largely avoided controversy. But voters ousted her again in 2006 after she was accused of a physical altercation with a U.S. Capitol Police officer who questioned her after failing to recognize her at a security checkpoint.

The most successful Green Party presidential candidate was consumer advocate Ralph Nader, who drew nearly 3 percent of the vote in 2000. Nader is running again this year, this time as an independent.

Earlier this year, the Libertarian Party nominated McKinney's onetime House colleague, ex-Republican congressman Bob Barr, as its presidential nominee. Barr also represented a district in the Atlanta suburbs during his four terms in Congress.

CNN's Brendan Gage contributed to this report.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:38:21 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:45:57 am »

"...........physical altercation with a U.S. Capitol Police officer who questioned her after failing

to recognize her at a security checkpoint."

There is only a handful of     B L A C K   F E M A L E    Representatives in Congress, how this

guard 'failed' to recognize her is beyond comprehension........

Was he a 'rookie', or was it a 'set up'......?

Furthermore, if anybody ever grabbed ME from the back, he'd get a lot worse than McKinney
gave this jerk!!!

The Democratic Party has been 'playing games' for a few years now, they are making the
Repubs look like kindergarten kids.......

THE BACKLASH IS COMING.....

P   U   M   A
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:55:52 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Byron
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 09:21:52 pm »

Yeah, but it still doesn't give you the right to slap someone.  Here is the complete account:

Cops Seek Arrest Warrant Against McKinney

POSTED: 3:40 pm EDT April 3, 2006

UPDATED: 7:18 am EDT April 4, 2006

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Capitol Police today submitted their case against Representative Cynthia McKinney to the U.S. Attorney's office, which will consider whether the Georgia congresswoman will face charges for tangling with a law enforcement officer last week.

Principal assistant U.S. Attorney Channing Phillips declined to say whether the referral included a recommended charge against the six-term Georgia Democrat or when a warrant for her arrest might be issued.

McKinney spokesman Coz Carson acknowledged the investigation, saying a statement will follow once they know where the investigation is going.

For her part, McKinney said she expects to represent her suburban Atlanta district for many years.

Black clergy and lawmakers came the defense of the firebrand congresswoman today. McKinney smiled as her supporters heaped praise on her leadership and her new look, her trademark cornrows replaced earlier this year by a curly brown natural style.

The 51-year-old McKinney scuffled with a police officer on March 29 when she entered a House office building without her identifying lapel pin and did not stop when asked. Several police sources said the officer, who was not identified, asked her three times to stop. When she kept going, he placed a hand somewhere on her and she hit him, according to the officials.

McKinney refused to comment today about her confrontation with the police officer.

Instead her supporters used a news conference this morning at the Community Church of Christ on Cascade Road to attack security procedures at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C.

They blamed the incident between McKinney and an unidentified police officer on racism. Speakers said the officer failed to recognize McKinney as a member of congress and grabbed her because she is black.

They also ridiculed the use of pins to identify members of congress. McKinney admits she was not wearing her pin when she was stopped by the officer when she bypassed a security checkpoint.

McKinney made a statement listing accomplishments of her office and scolding the local media for concentrating coverage of the slapping incident.

She refused to take any questions from reporters.

Supporters included Democratic state legislators Representative "Able" Mable Thomas and Senator Vincent Fort. Her supporters pledged to stand by McKinney.

McKinney held a news conference Friday in Washington in which she said "This whole incident was instigated by the inappropriate touching and stopping of me, a female black congresswoman."

McKinney, also a Democrat, declined to discuss the incident further since she still may be charged with striking the officer after she entered a House office building unrecognized and did not stop when asked. She and her two lawyers refused to say during the Washington news conference whether she hit the officer or how he touched her inappropriately.

Copyright 2006 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/8442213/detail.html
Report Spam   Logged

Win One for the Lion

Healthcare is a Right, Not a Privilige
Byron
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 09:23:37 pm »

She also got voted out of the house, so she won't be anywhere near the factor that some people think she'll be.

Slapping people shows contempt!  We still have rules to abide by in polite society, no matter what we think of someone.   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Win One for the Lion

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:37:13 pm »

FYI, BYRON -

As I have said elsewhere:

There is only a handful of BLACK Congresswomen. 

The guard should have known her, with or without her ID.

I bet you that if someone grabbed ME from behind, he' d DEFINITELY not get away as lightly as
this bozo did with McKinney!!!

Oh, if this wasn't a set up......She's too outspoken and they've been wanting her OUT for years.
But her constituents keep on re-electing her......

And now, she is the GREEN  CANDIDATE. 

Check around, she's doing very well, thank you!  And she just got nominated a few days ago.

The AAs are really going for her in great numbers.  They got tired of being taken for granted and

ignored by Oprah's THE ONE.

So, you go right ahead and make fun of a LEGITIMATE candidate...........

KEY WORD: 

L E G I T I M A T E
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:44:32 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Byron
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:57:58 pm »

Guys, unless you actually like the way things are going in this economy, there is only one viable choice for change this election season - Barack Obama, like him or not.

Any other choice, whether it be a vote of principle for McKinney, Nader, Baldwin or Barr is a vote for McCain. I wish we had viable third parties, we don't.

We only have spoilers.  Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Win One for the Lion

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:11:50 pm »

Sorry, Byron, we did that four years ago:  we held our nose and vote ABB (Anybody But Bush)

So what happened:  John Kerry couldn't wait 12 HOURS before he conceded.....

People will vote for whomever they want this time. 

Furthermore, I switched to INDEPENDENT on June 1st, 2008 - after the Great Democratic Party

F A R C E

I did not leave my Party - my Party left me......

So I am NOT a Democrat anymore and my vote is mine to use as I see fit!!!

P . U . M . A.
Report Spam   Logged

Byron
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:18:55 pm »

Hey, I don't blame you for being disenchanted with the Dems, I have some problems with them, too!  I think that Pelosi and Reid are cowards.  I also don't like the way that Obama caved in on FISA. People keep saying Obama is a liberal, he's actually a moderate.

But I do see the big picture, which is that McCain will get us into more wars and more people dead.  If you have seen any of the pictures of the amputations, the burns and the dead bodies from Iraq, you'd know: we can't let those guys down.  Obama will at least move to get us out of there, while McCain could care less.

McCain also doesn't care about the economy or women's rights either.

Report Spam   Logged

Win One for the Lion

Byron
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 11:22:53 pm »

I will say this for Cynthia McKinney. I just got done copying our original "Case for Impeachment" thread, and the post about her articles of impeachment about Bush was the last post in there (before everyone left to come over here):

McKinney introduces bill to impeach Bush
By BEN EVANS, Associated Press Writer
Sat Dec 9, 1:06 AM ET

WASHINGTON - In what was likely her final legislative act in Congress, outgoing Georgia Rep. Cynthia McKinney introduced a bill Friday to impeach President Bush.

The legislation has no chance of passing and serves as a symbolic parting shot not only at Bush but also at Democratic leaders. Incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., has made clear that she will not entertain proposals to sanction Bush and has warned the liberal wing of her party against making political hay of impeachment.

McKinney, a Democrat who drew national headlines in March when she struck a Capitol police officer, has long insisted that Bush was never legitimately elected. In introducing her legislation in the final hours of the current Congress, she said Bush had violated his oath of office to defend the Constitution and the nation's laws.

In the bill, she accused Bush of misleading Congress on the war in Iraq and violating privacy laws with his domestic spying program.

McKinney has made no secret of her frustration with Democratic leaders since voters ousted her from office in the Democratic primary this summer. In a speech Monday at George Washington University, she accused party leaders of kowtowing to Republicans on the war in Iraq and on military mistreatment of prisoners.

McKinney, who has not discussed her future plans, has increasingly embraced her image as a controversial figure.

She has hosted numerous panels on Sept. 11 conspiracy theories and suggested that Bush had prior knowledge of the terrorist attacks but kept quiet about it to allow friends to profit from the aftermath. She introduced legislation calling for disclosure of any government records concerning the killing of rapper Tupac Shakur.

But it was her scuffle with a Capitol police officer that drew the most attention. McKinney struck the officer when he tried to stop her from entering a congressional office building. The officer did not recognize McKinney, who was not wearing her member lapel pin.

A grand jury in Washington declined to indict McKinney over the clash, but she eventually apologized before the House.
Report Spam   Logged

Win One for the Lion

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: