Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 05:03:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Bernie Mack Makes Off-Color Joke At Obama Event

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bernie Mack Makes Off-Color Joke At Obama Event  (Read 83 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: July 14, 2008, 07:08:15 am »

Bernie Mac makes off-color joke at Obama event

By Associated Press
July 12, 2008,

Associated Press - CHICAGO (AP) — Comedian Bernie Mac endured some heckling and a campaign rebuke during a surprise appearance Friday night at a fundraiser for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Toward the end of a 10-minute standup routine at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown Chicago, the 50-year-old star of "The Bernie Mac Show" joked about menopause, sexual infidelity and promiscuity, and used occasional crude language.

"My little nephew came to me and he said, 'Uncle, what's the difference between a hypothetical question and a realistic question?'" Mac said. "I said, I don't know, but I said, 'Go upstairs and ask your mother if she'd make love to the mailman for $50,000.'"

As the jokes continued, the punchline evoked an angry response from at least one person in the audience, who said it was offensive to women.

"It's not funny. Let's get Barack on," a man shouted from the crowd, which paid $2,300 each to support the Illinois senator.

About 15 minutes later, Obama tried to smooth things over with a joke of his own.

"We can't afford to be divided by race. We can't afford to be divided by region or by class and we can't afford to be divided by gender, which by the way, that means, Bernie, you've got to clean up your act next time," Obama said. "This is a family affair. By the way, I'm just messing with you, man."

The incident drew response from Obama's campaign, which criticized Mac for his choice of material.

"Sen. Obama told Bernie Mac that he doesn't condone these statements and believes what was said was inappropriate," spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement after the event.

Mac, a Chicago native, said he's a longtime Obama supporter and called the presumptive Democratic nominee a "man's man" while offering him advice for the duration of the campaign trail.

"People like rumors. They're going to say things like you was at the club with Lil' Kim, and you and Kanye West got into a fist fight," he said. "You can't get upset. You've got to keep hope alive."

Mac's appearance was Obama's first celebrity event of the evening. Later at a Lincoln Park nightclub, Obama spoke to a raucous crowd of music fans, who paid up to $500 per person to see a performance by Wilco lead singer Jeff Tweedy, and two other band members.

"Before these guys go, I want them to know that I had heard a rumor that they had suggested that I had nothing by them on my iPod," Obama said. "That is not true. I love Wilco."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 07:08:53 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:12:38 am »

First a double concert in Oregon  where, 'they say', 75,000 attended and make-believe they

came to hear HIM!!

Then, there was RANDY RHODES and

NOW THIS??
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 07:20:29 am »

Women Get Crapped On; Obama Laughs Along

By Ani
NOQUARTER

Why it is acceptable that Bernie Mac, a man old enough to know better, stands before an audience at
a $2,300 a plate dinner and tells them that, for the right price, any woman, your wife, your sister, your daughter, can be a “ho”. Please tell me why that is funny?

Please tell me why it is funny that a menopausal woman, the comedian’s wife no less, is referred to as frigid.

Please tell me why said comedian intimates the only thing a woman is good for is picking up the kids, washing the dishes and cleaning the house.

Please tell me what it says to you that a man running to be President of the United States, who himself has a wife and two daughters, goes onstage to calm down the crowd and admonish said comedian, albeit very flaccidly, then tells Bernie Mac in the next breath,

“I’m just messin’ with you, man.”

Senator Obama, when you are going to find a spine and stand up to this sort of misogyny and sexist, objectifying, insecure crap?

How much longer are women going to be subjected to this filthy, denigrating behavior?

Never mind. I just answered my own question.

But Bernie Mac is not alone in treating women this way. Women are comedians’ favorite fodder. As a society we are used to it and even laugh along. Female comedians laugh at men too – but what roles do we perpetuate for them? ‘My hubby never grew up he is still Peter Pan’ nonsense. They cannot see in three dimensions. They are sloppy. They don’t listen. They need to watch the ballgame.

How does that compare with the male version of this diatribe?

Terrified of being left, cuckolded or criticized by women, male comics mount a preemptive offensive one cannot fight against: You’re not pretty enough. You talk too much.  You’re a gold digger. You are old. You are fat. You are boring. Other women don’t like you. You don’t like each other.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:23:45 am »

Divide and conquer.

Bill Maher is a perfect case in point. I find that Bill Maher looks like an aardvark, but it is still acceptable for him to criticize a woman’s appearance or attractiveness. He delivers sexist rants on his HBO show, putting women down, calling them filthy names; not to mention flirting with the ‘more attractive ones’, objectifying them, thereby distracting from the message and qualifications of his female guests.

Dana Carvey currently has a new HBO special, most of it hilarious. Of course, he had to do the obligatory political riff. He made fun of just about everyone: Reagan, Bush I & II, Gore. He pretended to take a swipe at Obama, calling him Urkel, but was otherwise almost reverential. Was this a comedy hour or an award ceremony? It was as though he was actually afraid to say anything else. Why Dana – was someone going to call you a racist?

Dana was performing in Northern California, clearly Obama country, and the audience sat silently through his comments about Obama, protective, waiting. So after the Urkel snark, he raced off the subject.

The Clintons however, were not so lucky. Of course, we had to hear from Dana how Hillary’s delivery is so robotic. This is to be expected. Naturally in this country, we prefer style over substance. Never mind that the person he was referring to no longer exists and has been replaced by a much more self assured politician, comfortable connecting with audiences out on the campaign trail. Dana, don’t let that stop you.

Unavoidably, we were, ten years after the fact, subjected once again to Bill Clinton’s sexual indiscretion.

But here is my favorite part. Dana Carvey then s**t on his own wife, his kids and all women when he basically said, ‘Well, look at Hillary. Can you blame Bill for what he did?’
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:29:01 am »

I see. So since Hillary Clinton does not resemble Angelina Jolie, she should expect this kind of treatment? Should all women expect it, too?

Senator Clinton was running to be President, not to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

And having stood next to Senator Clinton, I can tell you that she is a very attractive lady. Dana Carvey knows this, but he got his cheap laugh at her expense so he could then move on; satisfied. I wonder if Dana’s wife is pear shaped, too, and took offense at his filthy swipe at another woman?

Do you think any women in the audience, aged 60 or otherwise, who also might not look like swimsuit models, took offense? Or did they just laugh along, to protect themselves from being beat up like Hillary has been?

Recently, after Senator Obama’s relationship with the Rev. Wright was reluctantly revealed by the media, the cretinous Chris Matthews and none other than the bullying Chris Hitchens, among others, floated the theory that Obama’s relationship with this divisive, racist Reverend is Michelle’s fault.
It must be her influence.

Well, forgive me, but if a 46 year old United States Senator, millionaire, best selling author, husband and father cannot pick up his round behind and leave a place he doesn’t want to be, regardless of what his wife is doing, then he has no spine – and no business running for the office of President of the United States.

In Obama’s constant need to people please his current audience and curry favor with whomever
he considers the most important person in the room – in this case, Bernie Mac – it was perfectly acceptable to give this behavior a nod and a wink.

Bernie Mac happens to be a gifted comedian. Are you really trying to tell me that at this kind of a venue, he could not find other material that doesn’t extol the idea that women are low and deserving
of abuse and ridicule?

While I do not wish to be hamstrung by political correctness, there is a time and a place for everything.

Frankly Senator Obama, Mr. Hopey Changey, has to stop running on the message that he represents ‘a new kind of politics’ and wants to ‘change the world,’ when it is obviously okey-doke with him to treat women as second class citizens.

Actions speak louder than words. Corrections by his staff after the fact will not smooth over his numerous gaffes and insensitivities. But then, you can’t know what you don’t know. If Senator Obama really cared about any of this, misogynist commentary would not get a pass in the first place.

His disrespectful behavior on the campaign trail, his sexist put downs of Hillary and the fact that he pays the women on his staff less than the men indicates very clearly that he has no problem with anything Bernie Mac did or said.

It looks as though Senator Obama has no problem with anyone being put down as long as he is

elevated by comparison.

This is not the kind of behavior I expect from any decent man, much less a Presidential candidate. Senator Obama needs to take this new kind of politics back to the playground, where it belongs
Report Spam   Logged

Jeremy Dokken
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:44:44 am »

I agree that the remarks are off color, and shouldn't have been said, but when do we stop blaming the candidates for things that their surrogates say?  the Clintons had a bunch of dumb people saying dumb things about them, too.

And Obama has a great record when it comes to supporting women.  McCain even voted against allowing pharmaceutical companies to pay for birth control, for cryin' out loud, while paying for ****.  McCain wants Roe vs. Wade overturned, too. 

There is only one candidate that supports women's rights and that is Obama, McCain would put women back in the 1950s if he could.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 12:51:45 pm »

Jeremy,

Clinton is not running anymore, you got your SELECTED candidate!

SHE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS ANYMORE!

But women are still mad and will stay mad at the sexism, okay?  Hard to forget the BS that's
gone on in the campaign that you people generated on the 'net and in the MSM.....

Shouldn't have opened THAT 'pandora's box' so wide.......

YOU THINK IT'S ONLY THE WOMEN WHO ARE MAD?  THINK AGAIN!!!

A lot of men really DO love and like their mothers, their wives and their daughters, you know?
Surprised?

You haven't the foggiest notion at the RAGE  that is out there! 

Obama has a knack for having his surrogates say what he wants, no excuse!  And it keeps
coming........

He's even better than GW Bush at that 'stuff'.   

YOU PEOPLE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE CONSEQUENCES. 

TOO BAD!!
Report Spam   Logged

Jeremy Dokken
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 01:08:06 pm »

Oh, I understand that women are still mad at the sexism, and I don't blame them for it.  But hey, that was the media that was the major initiator of it. Obama really has nothing to do with CNN, MSNBC, FOX or any of that stuff.

I can't think of a single Obama surrogate that made sexist comments about Hillary.  The worst came from Chris Matthews, who sure isn't an Obama supporter. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: