Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:59:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists to drill beneath oceans
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8063.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Time-Warps

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time-Warps  (Read 331 times)
Mark of Australia

« on: May 07, 2007, 05:14:11 am »

I just read a post by Qoais in another thread that mentioned a time-warp having occured in the 1970's errr and the 18th century .. It's hard to get your head around it  Embarrassed , I'll post it here. 

I see time-warps as the science-fiction equivalent of a ghost story, but it could really be true,that's the fascinating thing. And here is a link to another post in the clairvoyant thread since it seems relevant.  http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,110.0.html
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:20:07 am by Mark Ponta » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Mark of Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 05:16:28 am »

Qoais

Re: The Great Islands Under The Sea
« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:44:43 am » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi 3D
Some years ago, there was a story on TV (I don't remember the channel) who seemed to have come thru a time warp.  A wrinkle in time - or whatever it would be called.  Here's the basics.

An English couple were driving home in the dark after a dinner engagement, and suddenly there in front of them on the road was a man.  They slammed on the brakes, thinking they'd hit the fellow, and then jumped out of the car to see if he was alright.  At first they couldn't understand him when he spoke - apparently after they asked him to speak slowly - they could understand him.  He was dressed in a strange outfit and seemed dazed and disoriented.  The man driving the car was a doctor, so they took the fellow home, and then to the hospital.  I think this was in the 1970's or so. ( could be wrong on that tho)

His story - He had just finished building a new barn that day, and after supper he walked out to gaze at his handywork.  The next thing he knew was that there was bright lights in his eyes and he froze in place like a deer. 

The doctor thought he HAD struck the fellow with his car so took him to hospital and had a psyciatrist talk with him.  When they asked him what year it was he said 1745.  (Or thereabouts)  They did some dating on his garment, but since he hadn't had it that long, according to him, of course it dated only a few years old.    He had a wife and children and just wanted to go home.  They kept him in the hospital and the doctor took him out and about a bit, and tried to explain to him that somehow he had come into the future.  He was devastated and didn't believe it.  He thought he was in purgatory and no trying to tell him would change his mind.  He eventually hung himself in the hospital room.

The doctors felt bad that they hadn't given him trauma counselling, and then they researched out his family and location.  They found his farm and the barn is still standing.  There were two surviving relatives, one would talk on camera and the other wouldn't.  In the family diary, the story was written that indeed, the fellow had just finished building the barn, went out to look at it, and never came back.  They searched for him everywhere but he was never found.

That's what I mean by a time-warp.  I just asked my husband and he says we must have watched that show since we moved into this house and that was 17 years ago.  So it was within the last 17 years that show was on TV.  Maybe less, since we haven't had the satellite dish for the whole 17 years.  Could have been CBC tho, the Canadian affiliate of BBC.
Report Spam   Logged
Anteros

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 07:19:11 pm »

This sounds like a science fiction story by H.G. Wells. Can't remember the name of it though... I've read too many books in my life.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

"A planet of playthings, we dance on the strings of Powers we cannot perceive."

Rush  --> "Freewill"
Mark of Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:46:36 pm »

Yeah , sounds a little too clear cut , too good to be true.
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 09:09:08 am »

It wasn't a movie.  It was a documentary.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 09:54:55 am by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Mark of Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 11:38:05 am »

well it sounds fascinating ,I would love to follow that up if I could.
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 01:09:26 pm »

Hi Mark
I HAD been thinking I'd try to find out which channel it was on, but this is a busy time of year for us and I have to do a lot of field work as my husband is having difficulties with a herniated disc in his spine and a trashed rotator cuff in his shoulder.  So I don't know how much time I will have to do much research on anything.   I haven't watched TV an awful lot since the advent of the personal computer, so I just can't remember if it was since we got the satellite dish.  Because if it was since then, it could have been on the Discovery channel which we certainly didn't get before, but if it was CBC then it could have been any time.  The incident itself, happened in England, so it's possible it was CBC thru BBC. 
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

Anteros

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 08:51:45 pm »

This was a very common plot device in many of HG Wells stories. I just can't seem to find the one that seems to coincide with this one the most.

Maybe the person telling the story on that documentary was well versed on Mr Wells.
Report Spam   Logged

Rush  --> "Freewill"
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 12:17:24 am »

Hi Anteros
Why would they make a documentary on an HG Wells story?  Why not a movie?  My husband and I understood it to be an unsolved mystery.  I've e-mailed the CBC, BBC, and Discovery channels, but I doubt I'll hear anything back.  One never does unless one is offering contributions of some kind!
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Anteros

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 10:57:04 pm »

I guess I'm not saying that the documentary makers made it out of a story on purpose but rather that the source of their story, whoever that was, got his idea from an HG Wells story.

It just sounds so familiar and I'm sure I didn't see it in a documentary.

I could always be wrong, of course.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Rush  --> "Freewill"
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 12:22:38 am »

Well, BBC at least e-mailed back.  They need more detail tho, like the date, and what was on before it and after it!  If I knew that, I wouldn't have to ask them!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: