Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 07:27:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

P O M P E I I

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P O M P E I I  (Read 8612 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 03:03:29 pm »

Krystal Coenen

Saving ancient Pompeii from modern threats
« on: October 04, 2008, 01:26:59 am » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saving ancient Pompeii from modern threats

By Elisabetta Povoledo
Published: July 27, 2008

POMPEII, Italy: Citing threats to public security and to the site itself, the Italian government has for the first time declared a yearlong state of emergency for the ancient city of Pompeii.

Nearly 2,000 years after Mount Vesuvius buried Pompeii under pumice and steaming volcanic ash, some 2.6 million tourists tramp annually through this archaeological site, which is on Unesco's World Heritage list.

Frescoes in the ancient Roman city, one of Italy's most popular attractions, fade under the blistering sun or are chipped at by souvenir hunters. Mosaics endure the brunt of tens of thousands of shuffling thongs and sneakers. Teetering columns and walls are propped up by wooden and steel scaffolding. Rusty padlocks deny access to recently restored houses, and custodians seem to be few and far between.

This month, the government drafted a retired lawman, Renato Profili, the former prefect of Naples, to map out a strategy to combat neglect and degradation at the site. Profili has been given special powers for one year so he can bypass the Italian bureaucracy and speedily bolster security and stop the disintegration.

The hope is that many houses and villas now closed to the public and exposed to looting and vandalism will soon be opened and protected.

Today in Europe
Slavic rivals embroiled in church riftKaradzic rally displays a Serbia struggling with its historyAfter bombing, Turkish leader urges unity
"Pompeii is a calling card of Italy for foreigners, and it's important that their impression be positive," said the Italian culture minister, Sandro Bondi. He directed Profili to crack down on "blatant abuses" like unlicensed tour guides and the souvenir vendors who aggressively approach tourists.

Bondi also said that Profili would explore "new forms of innovative management" in which private sponsors might be recruited to finance improvements.

Government red tape is blamed for some of the inefficiencies at Pompeii. "If I have to fix a broken wall," said Pietro Giovanni Guzzo, the superintendent of the ruins, "I first have to put out a tender for an architect to evaluate the damage.

"Then I have to put out a tender for a company to fix the wall. Then I have to see if I have enough money in my budget to pay for the repair, and then finally the work begins.

"If he can bypass all that, it would be very positive."

Guzo added, "Is there an emergency? I don't know, I've always been very clear about the problems at Pompeii. The situation here is so immense that ordinary means haven't been able to control it."

The 44-hectare, or 109-acre, ruins (another 20 hectares or so are underground) are severely understaffed. Workers are prone to wildcat strikes that can leave visitors standing outside locked gates. Local criminal organizations must constantly be kept at bay when bids are solicited for maintenance work or for operating public concessions at the site.

Still, Guzzo said he had made some progress since he assumed his post in 1995. Visitors now have access to 35 percent of the ruins, compared with 14 percent when he first arrived. He said, however, that this improvement was "a drop in the bucket."

Some experts say that Profili will not have an easy time. "I truly hope that he's able to do everything he wants to, but at Pompeii no one wants to change anything," said Luigi Crimaco, an archaeologist.

Crimaco should know. For about two and a half years ending in 2006, he was part of a three-man team responsible for managing Pompeii. He said he had often been hamstrung by restrictive laws leaving him little leeway to address problems.

"The preservation of cultural heritage means ensuring that they survive forever," Crimaco said. "To protect Pompeii, it's necessary to invest and bring in people and outside capital able to inject vitality into the ancient city."

Ticket-sale proceeds and financing from the European Union and local governments have not met Pompeii's bottomless financial needs. "Modern cities are constantly plagued by unforeseen expenses," said Giuseppe Proietti, the culture ministry's secretary general. "Just put that in the context of an enormous ancient site exposed to the elements."

That chronic shortfall has brought suggestions that investors should operate Pompeii. The ruins should "be put in a condition where people can best appreciate their beauty, because that's money to the area," said Antonio Irlando, an architect and the president of a local conservation group that meticulously monitors Pompeii's cracking walls, falling stones, abandoned work sites and flaking intonaco, the thin layer of plaster on which a fresco is painted. "This is an area with high unemployment - and that shouldn't be the case, because it has an immense patrimony."

Claudio Velardi, culture and tourism chief for the Campania region, which includes Pompeii, has suggested an "American-style" sponsorship of the site, in which a business would reap image benefits if not a tangible financial return.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/27/europe/pompeii.php
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: