Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:22:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Were seafarers living here 16,000 years ago?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34805893-6a53-46f5-a864-a96d53991051&k=39922

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

HISTORY CHANNEL'S "The Lost Pyramid" of Djedefre- June 23 & 29, 2008

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HISTORY CHANNEL'S "The Lost Pyramid" of Djedefre- June 23 & 29, 2008  (Read 2427 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: June 29, 2008, 04:42:06 pm »

HISTORY CHANNEL'S "The Lost Pyramid" of Djedefre- June 23 & 29, 2008

King Djedefre

Djedefre, also known as Radjedef, was a son of King Khufu and an older brother of Khafre.

Not much is known about Djedefre's life.

According to some sources, he reigned for eight years, from 2528 to 2520 B.C.; however, other experts contend that his rule might have lasted for over two decades.

It has been speculated that Djedefre murdered his older brother Kawab after their father died in order to grab power for himself. He then broke with his family further by having a pyramid built for himself away from Giza, some five miles north, at Abu Rawash.

Little remains of this pyramid today and some have suggested it was torn down at some point after Djedefre's death because he was such a despised figure. It has also been speculated that Khafre killed Djedefre out of revenge for the murder of their brother Kawab. However, there is no evidence to suggest any of this speculation about Djedefre's life is true and it is unclear how he died.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:01:05 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 04:58:40 pm »

THE PYRAMID OF DJEDEFRE

or the so-called lost fourth pyramid, was constructed on a hilltop at Abu Rawash, from which the
Giza Plateau is visible.

Today, little is left of Djedefre's pyramid and there is no evidence to explain why it was built at
Abu Rawash and not Giza, the site of the Great Pyramid, which was constructed for Djedefre's
father, King Khufu.

According to archeologist Zahi Hawass in Mountains of the Pharaohs:

"The pyramid itself was planned as a relatively modest structure with steep sides.

It is usually assumed that Djedefre did not have access to the resources commanded by his
father and later by his brother Khafre; it is equally possible that he was fairly advanced in age
when he came to the throne&and knew that he might not have time to finish a more ambitious
project."

Researchers have also found remnants of a mortuary temple, boat pit, queens' pyramids, statues
and a lengthy causeway around the pyramid complex.

Although it's been speculated that Djedefre's pyramid was dismantled after his death because he
was an unpopular figure, researchers have indicated a more likely explanation is that the pyramid
was plundered for its stones by subsequent societies.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:06:49 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 05:03:49 pm »

THE FUNERARY TEMPLE GROUNDS

This two-hour documentary was on midnight to 2AM this morning, June 29th.

I found it so interesting, I stayed up 'til the end.

If any of you experienced people would help, I'd dearly like to copy a transcript, if there is any. 

Also if aybody has the tape, please bring it here!

Please help.  Thank you!

b

P.S.

Also, I am watching an episode of NOVA on PBS that is tracking the origin 90% of flowering
garden (or the bulk)garden plants in China.

Aside from the fact that I was a Master Gardener in a 'former life', this botanical tracking to
China is important to a private theory of mine.

Advice as to copying these transcripts will be certainly be welcome.

Thank you, again.
b
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 07:37:46 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Oracle of Delphi
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 05:57:04 pm »

I just got done watching this, excellent program!  I highly recommend it.  Bianca, you might want to list this in "Upcoming Shows," too, so people don't miss it. Good work!
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 07:38:48 pm »

Will do, Oracle!

Glad you liked it too.

b
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: