Atlantis Online
April 20, 2024, 10:29:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Battle Isn't Over for Many Women Who Fought for Clinton

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Battle Isn't Over for Many Women Who Fought for Clinton  (Read 116 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: June 27, 2008, 10:00:44 am »

Not a problem for Cristi Adkins, a registered nurse from Reston. She co-founded Clintons4McCain.com, a site that is more anti-Obama than pro-anybody else. "I think he is dangerous. I think he is unvetted and unqualified," said Adkins, an independent who said she voted for Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) in 2004 and Al Gore in 2000. She is the kind of woman McCain and the GOP are targeting. Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina has been a point person in this effort, recently holding sessions with women in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Defining the Just Say No Deal coalition is not simple. The clearest and strongest sentiments seem to be that party leaders tried to force Clinton out of the race prematurely, allowed sexism and misogyny to go unchecked in the media, and made decisions about the Florida and Michigan contests that were designed to favor Obama.

"Their goal was to stop Hillary Clinton by any means necessary," said Robin Murray, an Indianapolis therapist and social worker whose nine-minute YouTube video, " Mad as Hell/****," detailed examples of sexism in the campaign and became a visual anthem for many feminists.

Given that she is a supporter of abortion rights and holds other beliefs that are at odds with McCain's, Murray was asked why she would consider voting against her own interests. "Whether it's appropriate or whether it will work doesn't matter at this time," she said. "The vote is a protest vote -- be it if I vote for McCain, if I don't show up, or if I write in Hillary's name." Added Murray: "I view it in a holistic way. It says, we will not be controlled and manipulated by these singular issues in order to cast a vote that we feel is deceitful, negative, there is just no pretty way to say it -- they cheated."

This kind of talk drives James Roosevelt crazy. As co-chairman of the DNC's rules and bylaws committee, he presided over the meeting that decided the fate of the Florida and Michigan delegations. He calls the notion that Obama got preordained, preferential treatment "just ridiculous." While he understands the disappointment of Clinton supporters -- his daughter and wife backed the New York senator -- he says the party's rules were "followed and interpreted fairly."

Roosevelt mentions that he has heard numerous allegations about violations that occurred during the Texas caucuses, but notes that to date only one challenge has been filed to a Texas delegate. "There's a process for people to express their concerns," he said, "and that's what it's yielded."
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: