Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:48:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Clinton, Obama to make joint appearance next week

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clinton, Obama to make joint appearance next week  (Read 62 times)
Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« on: June 18, 2008, 11:10:30 am »

Clinton, Obama to make joint appearance next week
Posted: 06:30 AM ET

From CNN Correspondent Jessica Yellin

Clinton and Obama are set to make their first post-primary season appearance next week.
(CNN) — Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama will make a joint public appearance next week for the first time since she ended her White House bid.

Clinton's national finance director, Jonathan Mantz, sent top donors an invitation Tuesday for a June 26 meeting in Washington, D.C. featuring both former rivals. Mantz also asked Clinton donors to show unity by giving Obama $2,300, the maximum donation allowable under federal campaign finance laws.

He added that Clinton "will do everything she can to unify the party and to elect Barack Obama the next President of the United States."

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

June 17, 2008
Emily's List founder and Obama campaign manager meet
Posted: 06:20 PM ET

From CNN Correspondent Jessica Yellin, CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley

(CNN) — Ellen Malcom, founder of Emily's List and a major Clinton supporter, met with Obama campaign manager David Plouffe at campaign headquarters in Chicago Tuesday.

Malcom, who has warned Obama publicly that he has to do more work to attract blue-collar women, told CNN the meeting included Emily's List Executive Director Ellen Moran and Obama's deputy campaign manager Steve Hildebrand. She also said it lasted more than an hour, and was "great."

Several weeks ago, Malcolm released an angry statement terming NARAL's decision to endorse Obama over Hillary Clinton "tremendously disrespectful." Less than two weeks ago, she sent an e-mail to supporters in which she spoke positively of Obama, but said she was not quite over her "anger and grief" at Clinton's loss.

"My heart is with you, as I am working through my own emotional turmoil. I fervently believe that this anger and grief will subside, leaving me with a deep sense of pride at what Hillary has accomplished for women," she wrote. "But I have not yet reached that point in my journey, and I know many of you feel the same way."

But last week, Malcolm held a conference call with reporters to make the case that women who backed Clinton's presidential bid, even those angered by the primary race's result, will also support Obama — and that Emily's List will engage in grassroots work to make sure that happens.

Report Spam   Logged
Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:07:55 pm »

JOINING FORCES
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson
Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:11:01 pm »

Clinton asks top donors to meeting with Obama
JIM KUHNHENN and BETH FOUHY | June 18, 2008 02:13 AM EST

WASHINGTON — Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton plan to meet with some of her top contributors next week in an effort to calm donors who remain frustrated with Obama's presidential campaign.

The meeting is set for June 26 at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington, several top Clinton fundraisers said Tuesday. The former first lady will introduce Obama to her financial backers.

Jonathan Mantz, Clinton's national finance director, notified donors about the meeting by e-mail Tuesday and urged them to attend and to contribute to Obama, who clinched the Democratic Party's nomination on June 3.

Two people closely involved with Clinton's fundraising said the meeting had taken on added urgency after several of her money "bundlers" complained that they felt their concerns weren't heard during meetings last week with Obama campaign officials in New York and Washington.

Both individuals spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the meeting.

Among other things, the donors want to make sure Obama knows that in order to get their help he needs to help Clinton pay down her campaign debt. As of the end of April, Clinton had more than $20 million in debt, a figure that likely increased by the time she suspended her campaign June 7.

Obama cannot use his campaign money to help Clinton with her debt, which includes at least $11 million of her own money. But he can encourage his donors to contribute to her campaign.

The two fundraisers who discussed the meeting said many donors also are furious that Obama's campaign hired Patti Solis Doyle as chief of staff to Obama's eventual running mate, calling it a slap in the face to Clinton and an implicit acknowledgment that she would not be on the ticket with him.

Obama spokesman Bill Burton said no inference about the selection of a running mate should be made from Solis Doyle's hiring.

"This was a long and hotly contested fight, so obviously there are some strong feelings about how it turned out and what needs to happen moving forward," he said. "But we're confident that the Democrats are united in their desire to defeat (Republican) John McCain."

Clinton and Obama will meet with two different groups of donors at the Mayflower a week from Thursday. One larger group will include donors who raised $250,000 for Clinton's campaign. A more intimate session will be reserved for about 30 fundraisers who collected $1 million or more.

"The challenge is reaching out to donors to ask them for money for a candidate that they've been on the opposite side of for a year and a half," said Alexander Heckler, Clinton's Florida finance chairman. "However, we have to take a deep breath and realize that we need to all work together and have a Democratic president elected."

Another Clinton fundraiser suggested there was no rift, noting that a vigorous primary contest had just ended.

"The Obama campaign has reached out to the Clinton people," said Hassan Nemazee, Clinton's national finance co-chairman. "I think this is a process that is being undertaken and hopefully we will be in a position to assimilate the Clinton fundraising operation and the Obama fundraising operation together in the near future."

"The reality is that we're two weeks from the day that the last primary was held," he added. "It takes a little while for staff to talk to each other, for lay organizations to talk to one another. It's taken a while to get the candidates available."

Heckler said he has been working with Obama's camp and said he and Obama's Florida finance chairman, Kirk Wagar, have been speaking daily to discuss fundraising strategies.

Separately Tuesday, Obama met in Washington with most members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, many of whom had supported Clinton. Obama acknowledged that he still has work to do to win Hispanic votes.

All the caucus members who attended the meeting pledged to support Obama, according to several members who spoke privately afterward.

Democratic Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas said he told Obama he had worked his heart out for the former first lady and would work just as hard for Obama's election.

___

Beth Fouhy reported from New York. Associated Press writer Suzanne Gamboa contributed to this report.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/18/clinton-asks-top-donors-t_n_107757.html
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 12:47:30 pm »

Now we will know what came of the Bilderberg meeting in Chantilly, Virginia.   Angry

Good job Monique.   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 01:00:26 pm »

I'm glad they have kissed and made up, but I still don't want her as VP!
Report Spam   Logged
Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 10:48:12 am »

I can see your reasons, Tom, I suppose my point of view would depend on how easily he can win without her.
Report Spam   Logged

Thomas Jefferson
Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 10:48:46 am »

Obama says he and Clinton will speak again within the week
Posted: 05:06 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Barack Obama said Wednesday he has not spoken with former rival Hillary Clinton recently.

After a Washington campaign event, the presumptive Democratic nominee was asked by reporters when he last spoke to the New York senator — and how he plans to deflect critiques of his foreign policy inexperience that she made during the primary season, and McCain is now repeating.

"I have not had conversations with Senator Clinton because she has been getting a well-deserved vacation. And, we will be speaking I think in the next few days…certainly within the next week, and we’ll be having an ongoing conversation," said Obama. "But if you look at my positions and Senator Clinton’s, there is not a lot of difference which is why it’s so easy for advisers, senior advisers, of Senator Clinton to support my candidacy."

Clinton and Obama are set to appear together at a Democratic fundraiser next week.

The McCain campaign has spent the past few days criticizing Obama's national security and foreign policy positions, with surrogates painting Obama as inexperienced and naïve.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton
Report Spam   Logged

Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: