Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:43:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Pangea And Where Atlantis Fits In - ORIGINAL

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pangea And Where Atlantis Fits In - ORIGINAL  (Read 6763 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 11:30:03 am »

Absonite

Member # 1766

posted 07-21-2004 09:42 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anteros,

it's probably because you come from lawrence mass. If you lived in methuen, or salem, or derry then you might have an excuse.

Just because You don't know the past doesn't mean everyone doesn't. There are people who have been here since the beginning of this little experiment and they do happen to keep really good records, by a process that you would not understand. Every so often, like once every thousand or so years revelation appears in order to correct accumulated erroneous material.

Anyway, I'm sure you have a lot invested in "not knowing" ....so, you ought to leave this group in order not to do your "Uniformitarianism" any more harm. btw, the dinosaurs were not killed by a meteor.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/08/030828071722.htm

http://www.urantia.com/cgi-bin/webglimpse/mfs/usr/local/www/data/papers?link=http://mercy.urantia.org/papers/paper60.html&file=/usr/local/www/data/papers/paper60.html&line=74#mfs
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 11:33:14 am »

dhill757

Member # 1890

Member Rated:
   posted 07-21-2004 10:05 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anteros, I count myself proud to be one of the few sane people in here.

Atalante,

The scenario you posed to me is flawed in that it assumes that the fragment from Laurasia had to be of continental size. I never said that, actually I think I said the opposite. Look above:

"Actually, there's several ways that Atlantis could have existed, and they aren't all dependent on it being of a continental size either..."

The model you provided assumes we know exactly how the continents broke apart. Like Anteros implies, we don't. It's a good guess, it's the model we were all taught back
in science class, but even with it, there is room for other possibilities, many other possibilities. I doubt it was as neat as the presentation looks, for one, and there were many million years to work with. Many islands, large and small might have emerged and sunk in that time and we'll never have the whole picture.

I'm thinking that there was a fragment between North America and Europe at one time, it didn't have to be a continent, maybe it was about the size of England, or England and Ireland combined, bigger perhaps, maybe some smaller islands as well. I would probably think that even if it had nothing to do with Atlantis. Madegascar, Ceylon, England, Indonesia - all were probably joined with the continents, too, at one time and they're similiar to what I would describe. Theoretically, they didn't have to be joined to any of the continental plates, could have just been large islands, on unstable land to begin with, earthquake prone. Eventually the land would have been submerged either because it endured too much volcanic stress, or because something from space struck the Atlantic. As I keeo saying, there is a missing piece between Europe and North America...

The flaw with this, like Essan says, is that, if it happened, it probably happened too long ago to have been Atlantis, right..? If it was more recently, there would still be some signs of it still around, correct? Not really, if we take into account Riven's comet theory. It would have been absorbed by the ocean, just like the story says.

Actually, an asteroid hitting the Atlantic pretty much would destroy Atlantis no matter where it was in the Atlantic.

Having said all that, my favorite place for Atlantis to be would still have been the raised Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 11:34:25 am »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 07-21-2004 10:26 PM                       
Sorry guys, however do you know how many times we have been over Atlantis being in the middle of the Atlantic ocean and the comet theory, having been there myself. It just don`t pan out. There is just no evidence of any comet that we know of that hit in the Atlantic ocean. 
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 11:35:35 am »

Helios

Member # 2019

Member Rated:
   posted 07-22-2004 12:11 AM                       
Oh, well, thats settled then. Apparently Atlantis wasn't in the Atlantic.

Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 11:37:30 am »

Essan

Member # 1224

Member Rated:
   posted 07-22-2004 05:15 AM                       

quote:

Yadda, Yadda, Yadda!! You are all slaves of Uniformitarianism!! Are Dhill757 and Tom Hebert the only sane people in here?!?

Why do you slavishly adhere to theories and/or ideas created and perpetuated by people with something at stake in the bargain??

The fact is that we don't know what happened in ancient times and everything else is just guess work! Your guess is as good as mine!! The best we have are the "myths" handed down to us by our ancestors and in my opinion they are a better starting point than the guesses and wishes we get from today's so called experts; all of whom have their fingers in the pie!!

Uniformitarianism is a religion, nothing else. Use your brains, research our past, drop your modern-centric pretensions and you will see that not all is as it seems!

Yeah, sorry, I forgot. Anything scientists say is a load of rubbish. Only non scientists, who haven't studied the subject, are capable of knowing the truth. My mistake.

Btw I am getting really sick of people who know absolutely nothing about geology or geologists bringing up that stupid uniformitarianism argument.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 11:39:48 am »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 07-22-2004 08:34 AM                       

docyabut;

You should think before you speak.
If the entire world is covered with meteoric craters, what makes you think they all missed the oceans?

Since you like rings so much, why don't you take a close look at the Tore seamount rings left by a meteor, and if it wasn't a meteor, then it must be another possible location for Atlantis near the Gettysburg Seamount.

And while your at it, take a look at the Bathymetric maps with the large circle under Iceland at the tip of the Atlantic ridge fracture.

www.mts.net/~perasa

Anteros;

Since you too have become divided like God in your Corinthians 1:13 profile interests, and if studying Atlantis is too frustrating for you, maybe you should pick up the Bible and learn to rejoin your divided spirit.

Atalante and Essan;

Let's give that some more thought. As you stated that the known continents were 400 million years old, that is not to exclude that this could also be the age of the land left behind some 15 million years ago, unless of course it formed from the magma around this time as a new landmass.

As well, I like to think that Atlantis did not disappear all at once,or 5% as you say Atalante, rather in several stages ending at 6482 bC and maintaining their stronghold from Lake Tritonis which was already settled from 11,000 bC where the Qadan's moved east to Egypt. The Aterian cultures were already here since 40k bC along with the later Capsians,Berbers. The intense disasters and flooding in the med on the north side of the Atlas mts would have made for their survival route up through Zagora, Morocco along the Grand Erg Occidental into the Atalantes region on the south side of the Atlas Mountains.

Which also explains all the activity
being focused here. From here as well they went to Malta around this time constructing the Temples there and branching into the Tarxien (Tarshin) cultures. In my opinion what I think is that this Atlantis battle was before 3000 bC and may relate
to the Narmer palette in the form of the earliest Sea People battle. We also have the Gebel-Arak knife hinting at ancestors around this time upto 4k bC. By 2k bC, everyone wasdefinitely independent and liberated.

Most of the Gadeiros Basque cultures were wiped out in Portugal and Iberia later to be merged with Cimmerian, Etruscan cultures on the N.Med side and descending into the bloodlines of Agammemnon and Menelaus,the twins.

So even though Atlantis sank around 6482 bC, they still maintained control through the remaining Kings upto 3000 bC and no later than 1500 bC.

These are my thoughts and theories based on my studies.

Freewill to all.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 11:41:03 am »

Tom Hebert
Member # 999

posted 07-22-2004 08:57 AM                       

Anteros,

Thank you for confirming my sanity. I need all the reassurance I can get!

Tom

Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 11:42:16 am »

Anteros

Member # 1984

Member Rated:
   posted 07-22-2004 07:52 PM                       

Essan said:

quote:
Yeah, sorry, I forgot. Anything scientists say is a load of rubbish. Only non scientists, who haven't studied the subject, are capable of knowing the truth. My mistake.

Well! It's obvious that some of you I quoted were offended by my post. I sincerely did not mean to offend anyone. I did mean to stir up debate and a little controversy but no offense intended! Each of the people I quoted I respect for their various contributions to this forum, and I apologize if I offended.

However, let's take Essan's response as an example.

No Essan, not everthing scientists say is a load of rubish. But do you have to take it as gospel truth? When there is so much controversy surrounding our origins why should I/we swallow unquestioningly anything that comes from Academia, especially considering their track record regarding competing theories to their religion of evolution?

In the past, science was always evolving, always learning, always open to new ideas. Not anymore. Now, anything that threatens the status quo (their security blanket) is anathema.

Sheesh...
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 11:43:41 am »

rockessence

Member # 1839

Member Rated:
   posted 07-22-2004 08:04 PM                       

Anteros,

"In the past, science was always evolving, always learning, always open to new ideas. Not anymore. Now, anything that threatens the status quo (their security blanket) is anathema."

I think science NEVER accepted a new idea without screaming, accusations and hair-pulling! But that's just my opinion...
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 11:45:14 am »

Absonite

Member # 1766

posted 07-22-2004 09:36 PM                       

Anteros,

I don't even understand why you threw me into your little group in the first place.

Anyone will tell you that the stuff I have been quoting or posting certainly is * NOT * establishment science. Even the thing you quoted me for...... dinosaurs were not killed by a meteor........ is diametrically opposed to what most so-called scientists believe. Certainly the Urantia stuff is more than controversial, and even my entrance to this group which started with Bob Sarmast and his Cyprus exploration of Atlantis is virtually refuted by everyone, even most scientific and lay members of this group, and my assertion that Atlantis is Eden does not have everyone lining up. I mean, most people here are looking for Atlantis in the Atlantic somewhere and I know Maria is looking for a statue of Georgeos to worship somewhere on the bottom of Cadiz.

So, Anteros, why are you picking on me as being "Uniformitarianism".

O.K. , apology accepted. Now, let's get back to the tower of babel as we all babylon and on and on ......

Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 11:46:25 am »

rockessence

Member # 1839

Member Rated:
   posted 07-23-2004 12:14 AM                       

Abs..

Did you say up the bottom of Cadiz...?
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 11:48:48 am »

dhill757

Member # 1890

Member Rated:
   posted 07-23-2004 01:39 AM                       

Essan, personally I value your opinion as much as anyone here. Don't worry, I don't hold the fact that you're a scientist against you.

On the other hand, common sense should tell you that some of the things scientists are theorizing are flat out wrong. I doubt very much the model we've always been given about how the continents split apart was as neat as all that.

And I flat out reject the notion that humanity, which had already evolved to a certain extent to
modern humans about two hundred thousand years ago, was simply hunter-gatherers up until about seven thousand years ago. We had it in ourselves the ability to do more, why didn't we?

The fact that there hasn't been much evidence of civilization prior to 3100 b.c. can be attribute just
as easily to the ravages of time and misdating, as anything else.

As for sciences, archaeology only takes into account what it can hold in it's hands, even then they
try to make it conform to a model they already have established in their minds.

The study of the stars and the planets, on the other hand, holds nothing in it's hands. It's all done through probes and telescopes. Is it any wonder some of us get skeptical when they tell us how the universe began? Like the break up of the continents, none of us were there after all.

As for knocking the rest of us because we aren't supposed to have any training in these fields, well, some of the people seem to be quite intelligent on this forum, very few freaks here (well, some).

I pick up as much as I can on all the sciences, in the final analysis, it's my own common sense that helps me sort it all out.

There are no experts in any of the fields to tell us definitively how things happened and when. Science itself is constantly reversing itself.

Just this week, Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant minds of our time, reversed himself on his Black Hole theory, after twenty years of saying one thing, he now says another.

Good science should be open to any new possibilities, not close-minded about them. Isn't that what people become scientists for, to learn..?

Today's science is not the science it will be one hundred, even two hundred years from now, and they might well be laughing at some of the theories we now take as fact now. Sort of like we now laugh at all the learned people who once believed that the world was flat.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 11:49:57 am »

Essan

Member # 1224

Member Rated:
   posted 07-23-2004 04:05 AM                       

Sorry all: I got a bit carried away with my last post.

I believe that most scientists (I'm only an amateur btw!) are open to new ideas and in geology, at least, cataclysmical events are known to have shaped this Earth and to have happened in recent times. The principles of 'Uniformitarianism' include asteroid impacts, super-volcanoes, continent-wide floods etc!

In coming up with a new theory you have to a) demonstrate the short-comings of the old theory and b) demonstrate that your new theory better matches all the evidence. It seems to me that many 'fringe' theories are very selective in what evidence they match.

I am quite sure that current theory on plate tectonics/sea-floor spreading is not entirely correct. However the theory does match most of the evidence and shouldn't be dismissed lightly, just because it doesn't fit in with an ancient myth.

If we can evolve a theory to explain Atlantis that fits in - more or less - with current, accepted, scientific theory then surely that must be better - and more lilely to be right - than one that flies in the face of current scientific theory?
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 11:51:14 am »

Absonite

Member # 1766

posted 07-23-2004 06:21 AM                       

no Rock,

I think she's definitely monothestic. 
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 11:52:34 am »

Anteros

Member # 1984

Member Rated:
   posted 07-23-2004 06:17 PM                       

God!! This is why I absolutely love this forum!! The vast majority of people here are very intelligent adults!

Abs, thank you for accepting my apology and for making me laugh with your last post.

Rock, you're probably right about science always having a hard time accepting new ideas.

Essan, thank you for informing me about the inclusions of uniformitarianism; I honestly didn't know.

Dhill, thank you for taking the words right out of my mouth! (pretty much your entire last post.)

Carry on , gentlemen. (..and ladies!)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: